MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what will be the chance I can come back school hellrise00 Academics 1 06-02-2010 11:43 AM
Going back to (Med) School samikas Academics 22 07-21-2009 12:26 AM
When is the first day back to school?!! Salina Academics 6 08-12-2008 10:32 AM
Back to School tips Chad First Year Success 0 01-03-2008 07:43 PM
Back to School Sales lorend General Discussion 13 08-01-2007 12:46 PM

back to school list

Old 08-08-2010 at 04:50 PM   #46
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

Quick and dirty school supplies checklist for back to school http://bit.ly/aT4raH

Don't forget tape - masking tape for posters in your room and duct tape for fixing stuff.

The McMaster standard calculator Casio fx-991 is the only calculator allowed into exams. This calculator is a course requirement and is non-refundable. It is $23.95 at Titles.

iclickers are $41.95 new - the Bookstore may have a few used ones (these are few and far between) but if we have them they are $31.50

Hope this helps!

Last edited by staceygab : 08-08-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2010 at 04:54 PM   #47
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceygab View Post
Don't forget tape - masking tape for posters in your room and duct tape for fixing stuff.
If you're in res, it's not a good idea to use tape on your walls, because they can rip the paint off and then you get charged. They give you free stickies at move-in, and if you run out you can get more from Commons or Keyes for free
Of course, tape will be useful for other things...just be careful with the walls!

staceygab says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-08-2010 at 04:56 PM   #48
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
If you're in res, it's not a good idea to use tape on your walls, because they can rip the paint off and then you get charged. They give you free stickies at move-in, and if you run out you can get more from Commons or Keyes for free
Of course, tape will be useful for other things...just be careful with the walls!
Good to know - thanks!
Old 08-08-2010 at 05:23 PM   #49
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

They are $20 before tax, I believe, at Titles. Don't hold me to it. You WOULD be best looking off campus though, you're right.
Old 08-08-2010 at 05:27 PM   #50
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

What size binder would you recommend for most courses? will 1 inch suffice or would I be better off with 1.5+ ? o.o
Old 08-08-2010 at 05:29 PM   #51
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
What size binder would you recommend for most courses? will 1 inch suffice or would I be better off with 1.5+ ? o.o
That depends how much you print...personally, I wouldn't recommend using binders at all--I prefer folders. I know some people who use a clipboard with the entire day's notes in it, and then transfer it to the respective binder in the evening. A 1-inch should be okay, unless you find yourself printing a lot. Different courses will have different amounts of material, though.
Old 08-08-2010 at 05:33 PM   #52
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Ah, okay. in highschool science I found a 1inch binder would barely be enough so I thought I'd need to upgrade this year xD
Old 08-08-2010 at 05:35 PM   #53
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Ah, okay. in highschool science I found a 1inch binder would barely be enough so I thought I'd need to upgrade this year xD
It entirely depends on the course. I found I had a lot less math handouts/printed notes (virtually none), and all my written notes went in a notebook, so even a half-inch binder would work for that course. For something like bio, where there's a bajillion and ten things to print, a bigger one might be necessary. Of course, you don't HAVE to print everything that they put online, so it's kind of hard to predict in advance.

anon491 says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-08-2010 at 06:23 PM   #54
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

This thread was really helpful, thanks for the posts everyone!

Although I'm still a bit mad that I have to buy a different calculator. I had to use a graphing calculator (which aren't cheap) during grade 11 and 12, and now I'm forced to just toss it aside? :(
Old 08-08-2010 at 06:28 PM   #55
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrucible View Post
This thread was really helpful, thanks for the posts everyone!

Although I'm still a bit mad that I have to buy a different calculator. I had to use a graphing calculator (which aren't cheap) during grade 11 and 12, and now I'm forced to just toss it aside? :(
You guys were allowed graphing calculators in high school?! We never were except for specific in-class activities (in which we were provided with one). I remember one girl tried to use one for a test, and she got a zero.

You can still keep it and use it to double-check any graphs you have to make for your homework, but ideally you should just use the Casio fx-991 MS all the time, so that you're used to it for the tests/exam.