Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camping mcmastergcdb Athletics & Recreation 14 07-12-2010 02:07 PM

Backcountry Camping

Old 06-01-2008 at 08:57 PM   #1
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Backcountry Camping
I have a question for anybody here who has experience with backcountry camping in Ontario. (any members of the McMaster outdoors club use this forum?)

I did a seven day canoe trip last summer on the DuMoine river in Quebec, and really enjoyed it. At the end of this high-school year, I was hoping to get some friends together and do some backcountry camping.

But, since most of my friends have little experience "roughing it" I was hoping to find something where we could have some privacy but it wouldn't be too long of a canoe ride (couple of hours max). I was also hoping to find a site that at least had an outhouse.

I know of a place called high falls in the Kawarthas northeast of Toronto that is just about what Im looking for...its crown-land I believe but its not an actual provincial park....only problem is Im not sure if the sites there have outhouses.

I know Im probably asking for alot of info, but I looked for a local outdoors forum and there dont seems to be any, so any info any of you have on backcountry camping in or out of provincial parks would be appreciated

Last edited by J-Met : 06-03-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-02-2008 at 10:52 AM   #2
Cynthia B

Liked: 0 Times

Hey there,

When I first started backcountry camping, we went to a place called Beausoliel Island. It is just north of Midland/Penetang, and you launch you canoe from a place called Honey Harbour. Depending on the skill/strength of the people in your boat, the paddle can last from 30 minutes, to an hour and a half-ish. The shore closest to the main land will give you a fair bit of privacy, while the shore farther away is a busier campground. There are outhouses and even a shower, but it's a bit of a hike from the private campsites.

Hope this helps, and that you have fun no matter where you go!

- Cynthia
Old 06-02-2008 at 11:40 AM   #3
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Alcohol is actually permitted in Ontario Provincial Parks - the only restriction that may be in place is on glass bottles, but I think that varies by park. I wouldn't be worried about rangers confiscating the alcohol, although if you're planning on being loud then that's not nearly as tolerated (since there will be campsites all around you). Although as I type this, I realize that your concern probably stems from being underage - and I don't know how much they enforce that, since it never was a concern for me. So, yeah, take that however you see fit.

As for backcountry camping, I've had friends who went to The Massasauga Provincial Park just outside of Parry Sound and enjoyed it. The campsites there are water-access only (so you'll have to rent a canoe), and are quite secluded. This is considered an "operating" park, so the sites are maintained, and they'll have what's known as a "vault privy" as a toilet - basically a box with a toilet seat on it that goes into a hole in the ground (and usually isn't enclosed like an outhouse, either). It won't be right next to your campsite, though, so there's a little privacy there. Other provincial parks have backcountry sites as well, just take a look at http://www.ontarioparks.com. Most of them are quite far north, though - Algonquin and Killarney are two of the big ones.

If you want true backcountry camping, you could either go the crown land route as you've mentioned, or go to a "non-operating" provincial park - this means that they are not staffed, and not as maintained as "operating" parks. I doubt that they have vault toilets at them, though, so most likely you'll have to dig :p

Anyway, hope that helped!
Old 06-02-2008 at 02:56 PM   #4
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Thanks guys, youve been very helpful.

I tried posting on an outdoors forum and there seemed to be alot of very judgemental middle-aged campers on there who basically told me there was no place for young people in nature lol. So im happy to hear some words of encouragement

Were not planning on being too rowdy (just planning on having a couple of drinks around the camp-fire) so I think the rangers wouldn't be too worried about us. Only problem is, we were planning on going Canada Day weekend and I heard something about an alcohol ban in provincial parks...is this common?

Last edited by J-Met : 06-02-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-02-2008 at 03:05 PM   #5
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Haha, I can sort of see where they're coming from, since most people go camping in Provincial Parks to get away from it all and don't want noisiness/rowdiness around them, which is usually closely associated with alcohol :p Beers around the campfire shouldn't get people too riled up. There are privately-owned campgrounds that foster more of a "party" atmosphere if that's what you're looking for, too.

There's no alcohol ban in the Provincial Parks around the Canada Day weekend, just the Victoria Day weekend (and even then only at some of the parks) and at one park during the Labour Day weekend (Sibbald Point).

All this info and tons more is on the Ontario Parks website, or in their annual Parks Guide, a PDF of which is here: http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/...parksguide.pdf
Old 06-02-2008 at 05:07 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia B View Post
Hey there,

When I first started backcountry camping, we went to a place called Beausoliel Island. It is just north of Midland/Penetang, and you launch you canoe from a place called Honey Harbour. Depending on the skill/strength of the people in your boat, the paddle can last from 30 minutes, to an hour and a half-ish. The shore closest to the main land will give you a fair bit of privacy, while the shore farther away is a busier campground. There are outhouses and even a shower, but it's a bit of a hike from the private campsites.

Hope this helps, and that you have fun no matter where you go!

- Cynthia
I used to go to Beausoliel island for the day all the time when I was a kid! <3

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement