MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-09-2010 at 06:05 PM   #1
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Camping
Hey, I will be going camping in 4 weeks but I have never went camping ever before in my life. There are gonna be around 30-50 ppl depending on how many attend. We are told to bring a tent to shelter ourself, food, water, bathing suit, sunscreen, and other necessary stuff.

I was wondering what kind of food is good to bring there (no pork, beef). If it's possible a link to the food from sobeys or food basics because Im extremely new to Canadian lifestyle. Shall I buy a tent or maybe share it with other ppl lol? I don't know any of the pps so it will be kind of awkward.
Old 07-09-2010 at 06:07 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Hey, I will be going camping in 4 weeks but I have never went camping ever before in my life. There are gonna be around 30-50 ppl depending on how many attend. We are told to bring a tent to shelter ourself, food, water, bathing suit, sunscreen, and other necessary stuff.

I was wondering what kind of food is good to bring there (no pork, beef). If it's possible a link to the food from sobeys or food basics because Im extremely new to Canadian lifestyle. Shall I buy a tent or maybe share it with other ppl lol? I don't know any of the pps so it will be kind of awkward.
If you don't know anyone going then it's best to prepare everything yourself. How long will you be camping for?
Old 07-09-2010 at 06:13 PM   #3
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
If you don't know anyone going then it's best to prepare everything yourself. How long will you be camping for?
Ill be camping for 2 nights, one day. Yea I guess Ill prepare everything by myself..
Old 07-09-2010 at 06:15 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Popular foods to bring while camping are:

- Bacon (the kind that is hermetically sealed in plastic)
- Spam (It's like Bacon... but in a can!)
- Pancake mix
- Cheese (sealed in wax or stored in vinegar)
- Sausages (like the dried out kind)
- Granola/Cereal
- Powdered milk (it's pretty crappy... but it works)
- Peanut butter
- Jelly
- Honey
- Bread
- Pasta and Pasta sauce

Besides that, pretty much any non-perishable food item can be brought camping.

Also,

Protip: Bring bug repellent and rain gear

EDIT: Didn't read the last part of your post until after. If tents are provided, I wouldn't worry about sharing with others. It's a good way to make friends.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 07-09-2010 at 06:17 PM.

mcmastergcdb says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 07-09-2010 at 06:19 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Bring some anti-itch cream too, it'll help some.

mcmastergcdb says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-09-2010 at 06:23 PM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Bring some anti-itch cream too, it'll help some.
Oh ya. I think the one people say works best is called "Aloe vera".
Old 07-09-2010 at 06:36 PM   #7
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post

- Pancake mix
- Granola/Cereal
- Peanut butter
- Jelly
- Honey
- Bread
- Pasta and Pasta sauce

Also,

EDIT: Didn't read the last part of your post until after. If tents are provided, I wouldn't worry about sharing with others. It's a good way to make friends.
No I think we'd have bring our own tents lol. Im looking for something for 1-2 ppl.
Old 07-09-2010 at 06:49 PM   #8
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:

- Pancake mix
- Granola/Cereal
- Peanut butter
- Jelly
- Honey
- Bread
- Pasta and Pasta sauce

Also,

Good list but how could you forget marshmallows?!?! Make some smores .

If your looking for a cheap tent I saw at Canadian Tire this one: $30 3-person Tent.

Also definitely bring some Gold Bold. Really helps with bug bites.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 07-09-2010 at 07:06 PM.

mcmastergcdb says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 07-09-2010 at 07:06 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Oh ya. I think the one people say works best is called "Aloe vera".
Yeah, not sure if that's for itches though... I know it's really good for burns. But since sometimes bites actually do burn, the area gets really hot, it should theoretically work. Usually ice helps a lot with mosquito bites, but since you are camping you probably won't have any. As an alternative you can just use flour. I have no idea why, but it actually cools down the spot. Just put a bunch in your hand and press it against the bite.
Old 07-09-2010 at 07:08 PM   #10
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

I went on a welcome week rep camping trip last summer, and i actually met one of my close friends because she was looking for a tent to share...if you're expected to bring your own, remember when you're looking at them that the numbers that they say they hold tend to mean as many people as they can pack in with minimal gear - generally, if you're sharing, one or two people less than the tent says it can hold is a good number to give you some extra room and room for your bags, etc. A 1 person tent is very small - you can't stand up in it at all, and you might be able to turn around in it if you're flexible. If it's just you in it, a 2 person tent will probably be a bit more comfortable

As for food, etc, bring things that are pre cooked or don't need cooking, like cold cuts, pb&j, buns or bread, or things that need minimal cooking like hotdogs. Pasta is also good, although if you're cooking on a fire the water can take a while to boil. Snack food is also a must, and s'more supplies (graham crackers, chocolate squares and marshmallows) - good snacks are carrot sticks, crackers, humus, chips, that kind of thing. Make sure to bring lots of drinks, and a waterbottle that you can refill, or those big jugs of water with the spigot-type thing on them.

If you're cooking your own food, remember to bring everything you need, eg a pot, plate, knife, fork, cup, campstove if you have one, etc, and remember to bring a cooler and ice/ice packs
Make sure you also bring bug spray, sunscreen, and aloe vera and afterbite if you're sensitive to sun or bug bites
Old 07-09-2010 at 09:46 PM   #11
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
I went on a welcome week rep camping trip last summer, and i actually met one of my close friends because she was looking for a tent to share...if you're expected to bring your own, remember when you're looking at them that the numbers that they say they hold tend to mean as many people as they can pack in with minimal gear - generally, if you're sharing, one or two people less than the tent says it can hold is a good number to give you some extra room and room for your bags, etc. A 1 person tent is very small - you can't stand up in it at all, and you might be able to turn around in it if you're flexible. If it's just you in it, a 2 person tent will probably be a bit more comfortable

As for food, etc, bring things that are pre cooked or don't need cooking, like cold cuts, pb&j, buns or bread, or things that need minimal cooking like hotdogs. Pasta is also good, although if you're cooking on a fire the water can take a while to boil. Snack food is also a must, and s'more supplies (graham crackers, chocolate squares and marshmallows) - good snacks are carrot sticks, crackers, humus, chips, that kind of thing. Make sure to bring lots of drinks, and a waterbottle that you can refill, or those big jugs of water with the spigot-type thing on them.

If you're cooking your own food, remember to bring everything you need, eg a pot, plate, knife, fork, cup, campstove if you have one, etc, and remember to bring a cooler and ice/ice packs
Make sure you also bring bug spray, sunscreen, and aloe vera and afterbite if you're sensitive to sun or bug bites
Hey yea Im going to a ww rep camping lol. Can I please ask you did you have to cook your own food? Because if I have to bring this much stuff, pot, plate, knife, etc. It doesn`t look fun rather a burden lol.
Old 07-09-2010 at 09:48 PM   #12
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
Good list but how could you forget marshmallows?!?! Make some smores .

If your looking for a cheap tent I saw at Canadian Tire this one: $30 3-person Tent.

Also definitely bring some Gold Bold. Really helps with bug bites.
Thanks a lot bro. Imma buy that ish if i go camping thannksss!
Old 07-09-2010 at 10:38 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Another possibility is to buy camping food, the freeze dried sort. Granted, that stuff is usually meant for when space is really limited, but at the same time, it means bringing less stuff with you.

Also, you'll want to bring a first-aid kit and sunscreen. So many people go on rep camping trips and forget about that kind of stuff...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-12-2010 at 12:51 PM   #14
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

What faculty are you welcome week repping for? Cause in SocSci two dinners/lunch/two breakfast/drinks were included within our $30 fee. Like last year I also stayed the same amount of time as you but brought no food at all!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-12-2010 at 02:07 PM   #15
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

if it's only two nights you can bring a cooler with ice and put perishable stuff in, as long as you put enough ice in it will last two days. cooking is a lot easier if you have a camp stove, and as for sleeping you could buy a cheap tent or share as other people have said. make sure you bring a sleeping bag, and sleeping pad can make sleeping on the ground more comfortable.