MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Needs Stats 2nd semester, Offering 1st semester science4ever Academics 0 09-06-2011 08:04 PM
What happens if you do REALLY bad in a course? BeAll_EndAll First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 26 08-25-2011 09:44 PM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM
One bad course Infinity General Discussion 13 06-04-2009 12:12 AM
Is it bad that.. mandee08 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-07-2008 05:16 PM

Bad first semester, need advice on how to proceed

Old 01-05-2015 at 10:43 PM   #1
Ngluding

Liked: 4 Times

Bad first semester, need advice on how to proceed
I am currently in first year Life Science, and last semester I had Bio 1A03, Chem 1A03, Math 1LS3, Econ 1B03, Physic 1L03 and I ended up not passing Math and Physics. This semester I have Chem 1AA3, Bio 1M03, Psych 1XX3, Anthrop 1AA3 and Envir Sc 1A03. I was wondering what my options are now and how I could proceed. Whether I should drop some course this semester so I could take those again or should I take one now and the other during the summer. If so I know I need a letter of permission to apply to an equivalent course at another university but how does that process work?
Also do I need 30 credits to advance to life science 2 or just the required courses is enough?

Thank you for the time and advice

Chad likes this.
Old 01-06-2015 at 03:35 AM   #2
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating5 / 4Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by allanandthera.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 01-06-2015 at 07:04 AM   #3
danix450

Liked: 2 Times

drop anthro and enviro sci, retake math and physics. Don't fail this time.
Old 01-06-2015 at 07:37 AM   #4
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating9 / 6Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by 2Dream.
Old 01-06-2015 at 08:58 AM   #5
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Definitely talk to an adviser like 2Dream suggested. It's about to get very busy in those offices with other people being in the same boat, so do it fast or you'll lose a semester.

mc_kumar likes this.
Old 01-06-2015 at 11:33 AM  
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-7Add positive rank
Old 01-06-2015 at 01:21 PM  
Ngluding

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

JamesK likes this.
Old 01-06-2015 at 02:23 PM   #6
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

^
So what you are looking for is for people to sugarcoat things and give you what you want to hear. Well my friend, that is a much worse response than giving you a vulgar one that gives you another perspective. We are on a forum and of course everyone will be critical. It is up to you to think which is the best answer. Personally I never heard of anyone who went to Med School or any professional medical related grad program that got in with a sub 3.7 cumulative, you already screwed that up with failed courses...

Consider alternatives and prepare for the worse!

2Dream says thanks to allanandthera for this post.

2Dream likes this.
Old 01-06-2015 at 02:54 PM   #7
patriots4eva

Liked: 5 Times

Wow some people need to calm down.

You can accomplish whatever you put your mind to. Work your butt off and improve your grades. That may involve decreasing your course load and taking easier courses.

Don't let 2 courses hold you down. Step up to the challenge. Keep your mind set on your goals and don't stop till you get it!

Did you come to university to slack off and breeze through courses? Or did you come to learn? Learn from your mistakes and do better in the future. It just may take you longer to get what you want, but it will all work out eventually.

You should definitely talk to an academic advisor for the specific course requirements, and taking courses at different schools.

And I'm in Science so pardon my English skills.

Ngluding says thanks to patriots4eva for this post.
Old 01-06-2015 at 03:18 PM   #8
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-6Add positive rank
Old 01-06-2015 at 03:23 PM   #9
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-6Add positive rank
Old 01-06-2015 at 04:11 PM   #10
patriots4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dream View Post
Just saying, as was said in the post above, two failed courses makes grad school kinda outta the option! So not to rain on your parade, but you can't always accomplish what you put your mind to. That is just optimistic thinking and it really has no merit when the goal is to reach grad school and you failed 2 courses.
Gotta say though, i fucking love your last comment there about your english skills! I just had someone at the office ask why i almost burst out loud laughing haha!
Why did you name yourself 2Dream? Don't you have goals to reach? It's just some bumps in the road to overcome. Sorry, but no, this persons life is not over because of 2 courses.

And what are you doing on macinsiders at work

Old 01-06-2015 at 04:54 PM   #11
Ngluding

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
^
So what you are looking for is for people to sugarcoat things and give you what you want to hear. Well my friend, that is a much worse response than giving you a vulgar one that gives you another perspective. We are on a forum and of course everyone will be critical. It is up to you to think which is the best answer. Personally I never heard of anyone who went to Med School or any professional medical related grad program that got in with a sub 3.7 cumulative, you already screwed that up with failed courses...

Consider alternatives and prepare for the worse!
No I'm not saying that, in fact I am my own greatest critic and I know I messed up. All I wanted was on advice on some potential steps, not being harassed(btw what new perspective are you talking about? Him basically calling me an idiot? I welcome criticism, but I will not stand down to disrespect). How would you rather have it, say you have certain degree and you applied for couple of jobs and couldn't get hired than you would rather want someone to say "What the fuck is wrong with you, you have no common sense, your absolutely useless and your life is basically done" or you would want someone that is rational and give you actual advice rather than a verbal beat down. Im no trying to start an argument, I'm just genuinely curious.
Old 01-06-2015 at 05:32 PM   #12
Ngluding

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dream View Post
Just saying, as was said in the post above, two failed courses makes grad school kinda outta the option! So not to rain on your parade, but you can't always accomplish what you put your mind to. That is just optimistic thinking and it really has no merit when the goal is to reach grad school and you failed 2 courses.
Gotta say though, i fucking love your last comment there about your english skills! I just had someone at the office ask why i almost burst out loud laughing haha!
I find it hard to believe that 2 courses will ruin my whole future. I can think of bunch of med schools and grad schools that I can potentially get into even if I failed my two courses.

University of Ottawa(med school)
Minimum years of undergraduate study: 3
GPA Calculation: (1st year GPA + 2nd year GPA x 2 + 3rd year GPA x 3) ÷ 6
Minimum GPA: not stated; however, aim for a weighted average of 3.85
MCAT: Not required.
Prerequisites: 6 units arts or social sciences; 6 units biology; and 6 units from biochemistry, chemistry, or organic chemistry

Queen’s University(med school)
GPA Calculation: Either the average of all of your courses (or your two best full-years (at least 30 units per year). You must meet the minimum GPA cut-offs using either method.
Minimum GPA: Not stated, but 3.7 unofficially.
MCAT: Not stated, but minimum 10/10/10 R * unofficially.
Prerequisites: 6 units in life sciences, 6 units in physical science, 6 units in humanities or social sciences.

University of Toronto(med school)
GPA Calculation: If you have completed at least three years of undergrad with a full course load (30 units) each year, then you can eliminate the grade of one full credit (6 unit course) or two half credits (3 unit course) for each year of study. Summer courses are not included in the calculation of GPA.
Minimum GPA: 3.6 out of 4.0
MCAT: Minimum 9/9/9 N*
Prerequisites: 12 units in life sciences, 6 units in humanities, social sciences or languages.

Much more grad school too but you can look those up yourself. I'm not saying med school is my plan, I don't have a plan, I'm still exploring and learning what I like and what I don't like. I also personally don't think money and status defines success, happiness does. And happiness can be found in the smallest things, there are tons of people that don't make a lot of money but wake up excited, while there are people that have "good jobs", angry all day, sitting in an office bored, leaving angry post on forums.

patriots4eva likes this.
Old 01-06-2015 at 05:48 PM   #13
patriots4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngluding View Post
I find it hard to believe that 2 courses will ruin my whole future. I can think of bunch of med schools and grad schools that I can potentially get into even if I failed my two courses.

Much more grad school too but you can look those up yourself. I'm not saying med school is my plan, I don't have a plan, I'm still exploring and learning what I like and what I don't like. I also personally don't think money and status defines success, happiness does. And happiness can be found in the smallest things, there are tons of people that don't make a lot of money but wake up excited, while there are people that have "good jobs", angry all day, sitting in an office bored, leaving angry post on forums.
The last part of your comment is very admirable. So many people these days are caught up in trying to find an occupation that will earn them lots of money.

I had lots of trouble first year as well. I didn't fail any courses, but I came pretty close (Physics 1B03 and Chem 1A03 :@). But, now in second year, my average has drastically increased! I'm very serious when I say your average can go up! You just have to work really hard.

I also had absolutely no idea what I wanted to be first year, but had the same mind set: I wanted to be happy. Last term, I figured out what I want to be. It will come to you eventually, you just need to keep your mind open.

I have noticed too that when I post threads people tend to be condescending, but it's awesome that your standing up for yourself! Best of luck!