MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timetable Salama First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-21-2010 09:17 PM
My Mock Timetable vs. Assigned Timetable Theashe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-11-2010 01:57 PM
"A Balanced Course Load" WatchesUPee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-06-2009 12:00 AM
Help with my timetable T_T comtoxic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-11-2008 08:57 AM
Can someone help me with timetable? comtoxic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-10-2008 10:19 PM

Balanced Eng I. Timetable

Old 08-13-2009 at 08:59 AM   #16
cowcow

Liked: 2 Times

Conflict just means that in the same time slot, you have 2 or more courses.

Barbier is a really good chem teacher who i personally had last year.
Old 08-13-2009 at 10:16 AM   #17
panici

Liked: 1 Time

Edited after the reply...

Last edited by panici : 08-13-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-13-2009 at 10:37 AM   #18
cowcow

When you log into solar, you will see which core, lab or tutorial you are assigned (ie. L03). As an example, Your econ class is conflicting with something on your schedule which means the any one of the classes for that core number is in the same time slot as another class which you already have. To fix this, you log in to solar where you can change your section number. To check which core will fit your schedule you go to the master timetable available here https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/. You would then search for the class you want to find all the different sections for. In this case it would be 1b03 so you would search for it. After you search for you, you click "Search Results Timetable" button at the top right of the screen. Another window will open with all the sections for 1b03 and the time the classes run at. Make sure to find the microeconomics list since the 1b03 code is used for other classes also like english and math. You will get something like this

1B03 INTRO:MICROECONOM. TERM 1 DAY

C01 Mo We Th 16:3017:201 MDCL/1305 HOLMES, H
C02 Tu We Fr 15:3016:201 MDCL/1305 HOLMES, H

This tells you there are 2 possible core sections for this course. You either need to pick the other core in order to fix your conflict or rearrange your other courses to suit either core section since sometimes, both core sections will produce a conflict with your schedule. The easiest way I found to do my schedules is to just do your own schedule from scratch. You can google for the macinsiders timetable template and use that. You can look for which teacher teaches what core and work your schedule around that.

As for the gap inside the engineer and physics classes i believe are just errors. Just look at the time underneath.

Last edited by cowcow : 08-13-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-13-2009 at 10:55 AM   #19
panici

Thanks Cow Cow.

I see no solution for my ECON class, besides taking it at night, and that'll make for one long Wednesday

Ill try and schedule from scratch like you've said.
Old 08-13-2009 at 12:36 PM   #20
cowcow

Taking econ at night actually isn't that bad. I took macro 2nd term at night with about 4 other classes on wednseday and it's manageable. With economics, alot of the time the classes end early so if you took the day classes, they would end about 10-20 minutes early on most days meanwhile for night class, the class actually ends about an hour early. Just another thing to think about.

panici says thanks to cowcow for this post.
Old 08-13-2009 at 01:38 PM   #21
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by panici View Post
Thanks Cow Cow.

I see no solution for my ECON class, besides taking it at night, and that'll make for one long Wednesday

Ill try and schedule from scratch like you've said.
Your conflicts the same as mine. Cept..my econ core conflicts with my physics tut. The ONLY option at this point will be to take the night course.
Old 08-13-2009 at 03:20 PM   #22
panici

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowcow View Post
Taking econ at night actually isn't that bad. I took macro 2nd term at night with about 4 other classes on wednseday and it's manageable. With economics, alot of the time the classes end early so if you took the day classes, they would end about 10-20 minutes early on most days meanwhile for night class, the class actually ends about an hour early. Just another thing to think about.
Oh really? My Wednesday would look like this:

8:30-11:20 - Engineer 1C03 (L05)
12:30-1:20 - Engineer 1C03 (C04)
3:30-4:20 - Math 1Z04 (C01)
4:30-5:20 - Engineer 1P03 (C04)
5:30-6:20 - Chem 1E03 (C01)
7:00-10:00 - Econ 1B03 (C01) [Possibly ends at 9:00]

Manageable, or am I going to kill myself trying?

Oh and also, I've got the profs I want for first semester, Should I be worrying about 2nd semester? As it stands I have Mclean for math, and I can't get into Childs class 2nd term.

Last edited by panici : 08-13-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2009 at 03:33 PM   #23
cowcow

If possible, I would move you 1c03 lab in the morning to a different day. If you have any experience with CAD programs however you could keep the lab there since you will be using solid edge in the lab to draw and create 3d objects. I did AutoCAD in high school and found the labs really easy since solidedge is very similar to AutoCAD. If you finish early in the lab, you're allowed to leave early after you submit your lab thing. I personally kept it to 1 lab/tutorial per day.

I think you should still stick with taking econ at night unless you plan on taking an elective in the summer since you will need the elective credits in order to graduate.

From what i've heard mclean is a pretty good prof so I think you should jsut stick with him. It's always better to be prepared and try to change courses for 2nd term but alot of other people aren't worrying about their schedule for 2nd term so alot of the classes are full and you won't be able to switch into them until later on.

Last edited by cowcow : 08-13-2009 at 03:37 PM.

panici says thanks to cowcow for this post.

panici likes this.
Old 08-13-2009 at 03:58 PM   #24
panici

Quote:
If possible, I would move you 1c03 lab in the morning to a different day. If you have any experience with CAD programs however you could keep the lab there since you will be using solid edge in the lab to draw and create 3d objects. I did AutoCAD in high school and found the labs really easy since solidedge is very similar to AutoCAD. If you finish early in the lab, you're allowed to leave early after you submit your lab thing. I personally kept it to 1 lab/tutorial per day.

I think you should still stick with taking econ at night unless you plan on taking an elective in the summer since you will need the elective credits in order to graduate.

From what i've heard mclean is a pretty good prof so I think you should jsut stick with him. It's always better to be prepared and try to change courses for 2nd term but alot of other people aren't worrying about their schedule for 2nd term so alot of the classes are full and you won't be able to switch into them until later on.

AHHHH!!! Why didn't I see that before?!?

I changed my 1C03 lab to L01, which is monday 8:30-11:20

AND I don't start classes on wed till 12:30, so I can sleep in and take ECON at night without being a zombie.

Last edited by panici : 08-13-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2009 at 06:31 PM   #25
panici

Looks like a good one to me! I've got Childs for math, and Okon for physics.

Old 08-13-2009 at 06:32 PM   #26
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by panici View Post
Looks like a good one to me! I've got Childs for math, and Okon for physics.

Very spaced, but if you like having a couple hrs breaks in between its good
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:04 AM   #27
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Nice man, you got Childs and Okon, your set for life.

Old 08-15-2009 at 06:04 PM   #28
Paul91

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
When solar opens tomorrow, you'll actually be able to change the actual core, lab or tutorial you want to be in. Depending on which section you choose (ie. L01, T04 etc...) the classes, tutorials or labs start and end at different times.

Being a former first year engineering student last year with no programming experience, you should do 1c03 first term and 1d04 second term. 1d04 is very easy to understand as long as you remotely try.

I personally took 1b03 micro first term so when it came time to second term 1bb3 macro, you could skip the first maybe 2 or 3 weeks of class since it's a review of micro. I personally found macro harder than micro.

Looking at your schedule, it doesn't look that great since your classes are all over the place, I would try and spend some time and make your own preferred timetable by using the master timetable on the mcmaster site. From there you can find all the different sections for each course and try to group courses together.

I found that having the 1 hour breaks aren't as good since if you're like me and decide to walk back to rez, by the time you get back, you'll only have about 30 minutes of free time and then you'll have to walk back to class.

Sorry for the really long post.

Why would you recommend 1C03 first term and 1D04 second? because i have it the other way around and want to know if its worth reworking my schedule to change it.
Old 08-15-2009 at 06:44 PM   #29
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul91 View Post
Why would you recommend 1C03 first term and 1D04 second? because i have it the other way around and want to know if its worth reworking my schedule to change it.
Because in second term you have a big engineering 1P03 project at the end. Engineering 1C03 also has a big project that occurs at the end of the term as well. Therefore, if you have 1C03 in second term, you're going to have to work on both of these big projects simultaneously. Engineering 1D04 has no project.

Paul91 says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 08-15-2009 at 06:58 PM   #30
Paul91

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Because in second term you have a big engineering 1P03 project at the end. Engineering 1C03 also has a big project that occurs at the end of the term as well. Therefore, if you have 1C03 in second term, you're going to have to work on both of these big projects simultaneously. Engineering 1D04 has no project.
Would you recommend this change even though 1D04 is a 4 unit course and 1C03 a 3 unit, meaning that my first term would have a total of 17.5 units and my second a total of 19.5? I heard ppl talking about it making a difference if you took high school programming, which i did not take.