MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How is bandwidth calculated? lawleypop General Discussion 31 09-14-2009 02:37 PM
Internet speed/bandwidth caps Juicebox General Discussion 11 05-11-2009 09:38 PM
Internet bandwidth limit kenneth526 Residence & Housing 34 03-08-2009 10:53 PM
MacInsiders Peaking Bandwidth Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 08-27-2008 10:37 PM

bandwidth

Old 01-22-2011 at 09:48 AM   #1
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

bandwidth
hey there

so recently my comp has been really slow, especially with internest and msn and such, so i decided to see what my personal bandwidth was like. and so i downloaded this bandwidth monitor and well its quite useful, but i was wandering, if your not watching a video, or downloading something, or even on the internet, should there be bandwidth used. the reason i ask is cus for some reason there always seems to be a tranfer in data ( either upload or download) no matter if im on the internet or not. and when ever i log into my comp theres always a huge surge of 1mb of data ( which isnt alot) but yea, do i have something om my comp that shouldnt be there? just really confused so yea

thanks
~k
Old 01-22-2011 at 10:16 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Perhaps your 'bandwidth monitor' is the source of this data discrepancy?
Old 01-22-2011 at 10:30 AM   #3
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Things that sometimes check the internets without you knowing (when you log in):

- System Clock (synchronizes clock)
- System Update (checks for any updates, especially if you've had your computer logged off for a while)
- MSN Messenger
- Any proggys you see in your task bar (ones that start up automagically)

It's not a bad idea to do regular virus/spyware checks anyway. Assuming you're on windows, Microsoft Security Essentials works great and it's free (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/). Often does better than other free and some paid anti-viruses.

As well, Spybot S&D is still great for getting rid of spyware (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html)

Chevalier says thanks to aaront for this post.
Old 01-22-2011 at 10:33 AM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

everything takes up bandwidth. make sure u close unnecessary programs that might auto connect o live updates
Old 01-22-2011 at 10:53 AM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Yes, there will always be overhead bandwidth when you are connected to the internet without your knowledge.. the best thing to do is only have programs you use/need opened.
Old 01-22-2011 at 03:13 PM   #6
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

My suggestion would be to get everyone out of their power stances. That should reduce Band Width nicely