Amazing School Internet Speed kevinf Gaming 0 10-09-2009 03:02 PM
Internet bandwidth limit kenneth526 Residence & Housing 34 03-08-2009 10:53 PM
Internet Speed Penguin General Discussion 2 09-13-2008 08:17 AM

Internet speed/bandwidth caps

Old 05-10-2009 at 01:39 PM   #1
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

Internet speed/bandwidth caps
My friend at McGill is getting 70mbps down as her internet speed, thats pretty badass, whats the speed like at mac?

And more importantly whats the bandwidth cap like? I hope its not too unreasonable, because even youtube has gone HD now.

Cheers

P.S. If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about but want to help out, just go to http://speedtest.net/
and click the yellow star and it will measure your internet speed.
Old 05-10-2009 at 02:04 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
My friend at McGill is getting 70mbps down as her internet speed, thats pretty badass, whats the speed like at mac?

And more importantly whats the bandwidth cap like? I hope its not too unreasonable, because even youtube has gone HD now.

Cheers

P.S. If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about but want to help out, just go to http://speedtest.net/
When connected via ethernet in residence, the speed is 100mbps and can even get to 1gbps sometimes. I was frequently able to download at 1MB/s or close to that depending on the server on the other side and their traffic.

Juicebox says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 05-10-2009 at 03:37 PM   #3
Alireza

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post

Cheers

When downloading torrents I was able to reach 2mb/s download and 2mb/s upload on a private tracker. However you'll have DC++ on rez, which reaches 10mb/s+. There is a bandwidth cap of 2 GB per day (about 60 GB per month), but material downloaded from DC++ doesnt count towards your bandwidth since its lan based.

Juicebox says thanks to Alireza for this post.
Old 05-10-2009 at 03:45 PM   #4
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

lol or you just change your IP and get a new lease on bandwidth.

well i guess the smarter thing would be to change your MAC address so they couldn't track it by laptop...
Old 05-10-2009 at 04:13 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
lol or you just change your IP and get a new lease on bandwidth.

well i guess the smarter thing would be to change your MAC address so they couldn't track it by laptop...
lol, use other people's internet connection when they've gone home for the weekend XD
Old 05-10-2009
ericvan1
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-10-2009 at 05:14 PM   #6
ericvan1

Liked: 1 Time

Hamilton off-campus
Cogeco cable

http://speedtest.cogeco.net/

100 GB cap up/down combined - $1 per GB overage

Never tried McMaster's in-house file-sharing setup but I hear its fast.

Hard to find ISP that doesn't throttle torrents in Ontario, luckily Cogeco does not.

Last edited by ericvan1 : 05-10-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2009 at 06:06 PM   #7
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

Thanks guys, that sounds reasonable, well actually 2gb/day is a low but atleast everyone uses DC++ so that will help out.

Also cogeco does throttle during key hours. And having their best plan capped at 100gb/month is dumb. But thats a whole different story.
Old 05-10-2009 at 06:29 PM   #8
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I remember I was downloading something during exams, went upto like 300 mb/s at one point. It was the best I'd ever gotten.
Old 05-10-2009 at 09:13 PM   #9
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Two things about the bandwidth cap:

1) We didn't have one for the last half of second semester (our entire network seemed to have been upgrading since I noticed generally faster speeds on DC++ too), there were a few times where I DL/UL near 100GB in one day and wasn't throttled

2) You never got throttled immediately, if you passed the 2GB limit at 3AM the night of you would be throttled for 24h, so if there is a large file that you really want that you can't find on DC++ for some reason you could download the entire thing at good speed since you wouldn't actually get throttled until the next day. If you were willing to is Mac address spoofer, you would never actually be throttled since you could just switch to another mac address when throttled. IIRC you can only have 3 mac addresses registered for campus internet, so you can't go crazy with it.

Basically, internet at Mac is fast, really fast, and the terms are very, very reasonable. You don't have to worry about that.
Old 05-11-2009 at 02:11 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

The McMaster network is probably similar in speed to the McGill, but goes kind of slow due to literally a thousand people on the network. It's been so congested sometimes (mostly in thode) that I wasn't even able to connect to the wireless.

Also, some of you guys are doin it wrong:

Mb = A megabit
MB = A megabyte

1 Byte = 8 bits

Therefore, one MB = 8 * 1 Mb

Quote:
When downloading torrents I was able to reach 2mb/s download and 2mb/s upload on a private tracker.
2 mb = 2 millibits per second. I think the Mark 1 was downloading faster than you were

Quote:
I remember I was downloading something during exams, went upto like 300 mb/s at one point. It was the best I'd ever gotten.
I'm pretty sure that's impossible. A lot of your computer's parts can't operate that quickly.

Quote:
100 GB cap up/down combined - $1 per GB overage

Never tried McMaster's in-house file-sharing setup but I hear its fast.

Hard to find ISP that doesn't throttle torrents in Ontario, luckily Cogeco does not.
Get TekSavvy. No cap and no throttling for under $40.00 a month

They serve the Hamilton region too.

ericvan1 says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 05-11-2009 at 04:42 PM   #11
Alireza

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Yeah i'm pretty sure everyone knows I mean megabyte and not megabit
Old 05-11-2009 at 09:38 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

SI units ftw.