MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
td bank machine on campus? msms Financial Aid 2 09-12-2010 11:05 AM
how do i pay tuition via td canada bank rmfldkdtm First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 09-01-2010 07:33 PM
To fail, or not to fail? That is the question... sniderj Academics 13 04-22-2010 06:09 PM
Test Bank Buddha Academics 3 01-06-2010 06:36 PM
BMO Bank Machine? tristic General Discussion 2 09-10-2008 09:01 AM

bank maciene fail

Old 05-06-2011 at 09:18 PM   #16
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
banks will replace the bill IF and only if the serial number is intact.
The biconditional doesn't work here because it would imply that every single bill with an intact serial number would be replaced. You only want the "only if" part.

Mahratta likes this.
Old 05-06-2011 at 09:58 PM   #17
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

i never understood IFF i always just thought it meant the same as "only if this was true can this occur" or w.e... im intrigued as to what the diff is.. care to explain with examples haha
Old 05-06-2011 at 10:12 PM   #18
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
i never understood IFF i always just thought it meant the same as "only if this was true can this occur" or w.e... im intrigued as to what the diff is.. care to explain with examples haha
IFF means it's the only condition in which the subject is true or false.

"banks will replace the bill IF and only if the serial number is intact."

In this example, the condition is whether or not the serial number is intact. The bill will only be replaced in the single circumstance that the serial number is intact, and there are no exceptions, such as an alternate identification method.
Old 05-06-2011 at 11:28 PM   #19
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Once my dad found a 10 bill in a soccer field, ripped in half. He went home, taped it back together and took us out for ice cream.It was awesome.

Hopefully the bank will help you out - the serial number is probably to make sure its real.
Old 05-06-2011 at 11:29 PM   #20
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Well, in English, we take 'Q if P' to mean that Q follows from P. For example, 'if a number is positive, then it is greater than zero' to mean 'the fact that a number is greater than zero follows from its positivity'. We then call P a sufficient condition for Q, and Q a necessary condition for P, since if Q was false, then P couldn't possibly be true (example: 'if you buy three pizzas, the fourth is free'. If the fourth pizza isn't free, then you haven't bought three pizzas, so Q is necessary for P).

Now, when we say 'Q only if P' we mean 'if Q then P'. For example, 'free Coke only if you buy a pizza' means that if you got a free Coke, you bought a pizza - in other words, P follows from Q.

IFF is the combination of these two - namely, 'P iff Q' means that P follows from Q and that Q follows from P. Or that Q is a necessary and sufficient condition for P (and vice-versa).

Of course, I'm not suggesting that English works like this. In the construction of this logical language (called 'first-order logic'), people took particular examples from the natural languages they spoke (English, German, French, etc,) and used those ideas to represent abstract properties of deduction or rules of inference that they thought were our "laws of thought". The question of whether such systems ('calculi') are actually representative of our own deductive processes is one addressed in philosophy of language, as well as logic - it also forms a fundamental part of artificial intelligence research.

Last edited by Mahratta : 05-06-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2011 at 09:55 AM   #21
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
The bill will only be replaced in the single circumstance that the serial number is intact, and there are no exceptions, such as an alternate identification method.
Yes...this is Only If. "The bill will be replaced only if the number is intact." Logically, there is no such thing as an exception, so that's a moot point.

The "If part" of the statement says "If the serial number is intact, then the bill will be replaced" but this is false because I have a wallet full of bills whose serial numbers are intact, which aren't being replaced.

In other words, the serial number being intact is a sufficient but not necessary condition. (The IFF statement is logically equivalent to it being necessary and sufficient.)

Now note that we can 'correct' this by making the statement "Serial number is intact" + "Want a bill replacement" <=> "Bill replaced." While the extra condition of wanting a bill replaced is implied, it wasn't explicitly stated (so 'logically' the statement is incorrect).

In other words:

Last edited by Mowicz : 05-07-2011 at 09:59 AM.

justinsftw says thanks to Mowicz for this post.

Rudiger likes this.