MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teaching Assistant Excellence Award Nomination Mowicz MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-02-2010 11:57 PM
Physician Assistant Info Night this Tues., Nov 24! Annie MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-19-2009 08:42 PM
physician's assistant program Rain General Discussion 6 09-21-2009 10:35 PM
Interview tips for research assistant sinthusized Academics 11 09-15-2009 12:19 AM
Physician Assistant Program? sanahsameen Academics 4 12-25-2008 11:22 AM

to become a teacher assistant do we need a certain average?

Old 07-03-2011 at 02:12 PM   #16
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
That's good to know; the averages for most of my courses were pretty good, but I did terrible in one course and it dropped my GPA a lot :(

Does anyone know the requirements for TA-ing first year chem (lab or tutorial) and first year psych? For psych it seems like they only hire PNB or BioPsych students
You have to be at least third year to TA first year chem lab or tutorial. As a third year, you are more likely to be accepted for a lab TA rather than tutorial TA. I think there was only one undergrad tutorial TA, and he/she was in 4th year health science.
You need at least 4 chem courses (likely 1a03, 1aa3, 2oa3, 2ob3).

They are more likely to hire chem students or chem bio rather than someone out of that faculty, but it's not impossible to be hired even if you aren't in those faculties/programs.

MichaelScarn says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.
Old 07-03-2011 at 02:22 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
That's good to know; the averages for most of my courses were pretty good, but I did terrible in one course and it dropped my GPA a lot :(

Does anyone know the requirements for TA-ing first year chem (lab or tutorial) and first year psych? For psych it seems like they only hire PNB or BioPsych students
For Psych, you need to be going into 3rd or 4th year. I would imagine that there's some preference to Psych students, and it makes sense. However, I also know quite a few Life Sci/Bio students who were TA's as well. They need a lot of TA's for Psych, so it's not impossible.
Also, this is from the IntroPsych website:
Teaching assistants for IntroPsych are upper year students in the Department of Psychology, Neuroscience, and Behaviour. Not long ago, they were IntroPsych students just like you! Near the end of each academic year, we post a call for applications for Teaching Assistants on IntroPsych.net and around the Psychology Building. Students typically apply in their second year for a TA position in their third year.
TAs are selected based on high academic achievement, knowledge of course content, personality, and teaching ability. Those invited for an interview will be asked to present a sample tutorial. Students selected as a TA also enroll in a special course, Psychology 3TT3: Applied Educational Psychology, in which teaching methods and research are studied.
Keep an eye on IntroPsych.net in the spring for applications!

anon491, MichaelScarn all say thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-03-2011 at 02:27 PM   #18
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Does anyone know the requirements for English and/or History?

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 07-03-2011 at 03:04 PM   #19
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post

I NEED TO KNOW THIS AS WELL
Old 07-03-2011 at 04:23 PM   #20
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
For History postings: http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/...ngs/index.html
I found these 2 job postings as well: http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/...osting2010.pdf
http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/...osting2010.pdf
So there's also a preference for grad students but undergrad applicants are accepted as well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
I NEED TO KNOW THIS AS WELL
My roommate who was in 4th year English this year had a few 3rd and 4th year TA's over the past couple of years, but the majority were grad students.

They have the positions up here (right) http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/~english/Jobs.html

Also, I found this job posting for Eng 1A03 TA's and it says:
Preference will be given to 5th, 6th, & 7th year PhD students in the Department of English & Cultural Studies.

Source: http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/~english/job_posting/TA%20positing%20SS%20 2010.pdf

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 07-03-2011 at 04:29 PM.

AelyaS says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-03-2011 at 04:40 PM   #21
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
You have to be at least third year to TA first year chem lab or tutorial. As a third year, you are more likely to be accepted for a lab TA rather than tutorial TA.
Its the other way around actually, it's actually harder to be a tutorial TA, usually reserved for graduates.

And it is possible to be a TA in 2nd year