MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 manu General Discussion 55 10-15-2009 08:48 PM

Believe in 2012

Old 11-15-2009 at 10:44 PM   #16
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

dont worry nature wont end the world, it will be the humans.
Old 11-15-2009 at 10:46 PM   #17
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Thanks guys for making me feel like an idiot. I just wanted your opinion on it.
Old 11-15-2009 at 10:51 PM   #18
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I wonder if people ever considered that maybe the Mayans just never got around to finishing their calendar. They got lazy and started procrastinating like all of us and were like "its still early, we have lots of time to add the rest of the years..."

adrian, Bobble, malycknm, peters like this.
Old 11-15-2009 at 11:17 PM   #19
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Apparently the Mayan calendar does not even end in 2012.
http://science.slashdot.org/submissi...ndar-ends-2220
Old 11-16-2009 at 05:41 AM   #20
hmmmcurious

Liked: 9 Times

Here's a huge list of doomsday prophecies over the years:
http://www.abhota.info/end1.htm

Just add this one to the list and carry on as usual.
Old 11-16-2009 at 07:45 AM   #21
Bobble

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
Anyways I went to see the movie at the drive-in and, the fog outside got so bad I couldn't see the last 30 min so I left. If anyone saw it, can you tell me how it ends?
It ended with a large group of people feeling ashamed they'd actually spent money and time to see such crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8 View Post
dont worry nature wont end the world, it will be the humans.
Humans won't end the world. The world is far greater than the sum of what we could do to it. Human might wipe out other humans (and a lot of the things living on earth), but the Earth will keep chugging along for a very, very long time after we wipe ourselves out.
Old 11-16-2009 at 07:48 AM   #22
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't believe the world is going to end.

I'm worried about how people are going to act though. I hope there's no insane riots or anything..
Old 11-16-2009 at 08:22 AM   #23
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I'm worried about how people are going to act though. I hope there's no insane riots or anything..
Exactly, I think if the world is going to end, it'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy. :p Like the tension will start a nuclear war or something silly.

------------

Quote:
A theory requires more than "oh, well, Mayans had a Calendar that ends here!"
The problem is that many things in the 'definition' of a theory are arbitrary. e.g. the "organized system of accepted knowledge."

Take a group of 5,000 people who believe in the 2012 doomsday (assuming they exist). Certainly among these people, the Mayan Calendar and all that is 'accepted knowledge' and hence a theory.

Simply because it's not accepted in say, the scientific community, doesn't mean it's not a theory...you're just arguing that it's not a scientific theory (which is true, since it's not something that has been subjected to the scientific method).

But essentially on the lowest level, you can have a theory with absolutely no evidence. It just comes down to your audience (ie. who will believe said theory)?
Old 11-16-2009 at 12:14 PM   #24
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

The Mayans were incredibly advanced. They were the first civilization to use the number zero as an actual number and not a place holder. What took a couple hundred more years for mathematicians in India to do and even longer to work its way into Europe. Also to be able to predict the galactic alignment would be no small feat without scientific instruments. I wouldn't even know where to start let alone have ever realized the slight wobble in the earths rotation by looking at the stars. They have not been the most advanced culture when they were discovered by Europeans but they were more advanced then them for a long time and are far far from being Neanderthals (they have never been discovered in the Americas).

Last edited by JeffB : 11-16-2009 at 12:18 PM.

lorend says thanks to JeffB for this post.

Alchemist11, lorend like this.
Old 11-16-2009 at 01:15 PM   #25
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
The problem is that many things in the 'definition' of a theory are arbitrary. e.g. the "organized system of accepted knowledge."

Take a group of 5,000 people who believe in the 2012 doomsday (assuming they exist). Certainly among these people, the Mayan Calendar and all that is 'accepted knowledge' and hence a theory.

Simply because it's not accepted in say, the scientific community, doesn't mean it's not a theory...you're just arguing that it's not a scientific theory (which is true, since it's not something that has been subjected to the scientific method).

But essentially on the lowest level, you can have a theory with absolutely no evidence. It just comes down to your audience (ie. who will believe said theory)?
As soon as I typed that I kindof figured I would get a response from you :p

In that example of an isolated group of 5,000, that would technically qualify as a theory. However anyone who lives in the developed world is not part of an isolated community, and their theories have to conform to the best understanding of reality we have; i.e. the scientific one.

At the very least they should only hold the theory until a more reasonable conflicting theory comes along.
Old 11-16-2009 at 02:57 PM   #26
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

its all a cash grab..just like valentines day...fathers/mothers day...all them made up days where retailers get crazy profits for selling related merchandise...the 2012 movie is the first of a looong line of cash grabbers for this whole 2012 thing...the media makes money by reporting on reaction that people have to the idea...all boils down to money..just my 2cents
Old 11-16-2009 at 03:26 PM   #27
JeffB

2012 is the next opportunity for me to use my stockpile of canned foods from Y2K. Nothing like canned beans for the next ten years.
Old 11-16-2009 at 03:30 PM   #28
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I believe the world will end in 2012 as much as I believe that the hini flu is something to worry about.

And LOL Jeff, that was funny.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-18-2009 at 04:08 PM   #29
manaya

Its kinda like every other doomsday conspiracy that nutjobs have dreamed up. Right from nostradamus to many others ... so vague and always misinterpretated
It amazes me how stupid humans can be sometimes. Especially the kind who have no inkling of any scientific knowledge and go about giving their opinions using pseudo-science 'facts' they read about on the internet.

I mean cmon read a damn book or watch a respectable documentary (BBC/History Channel) or do some ACTUAL research from well referenced websites or journals.

Ignorance is not always bliss !!!

Old 11-18-2009 at 08:37 PM   #30
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

You guys are all wrong.

If I wanted the world to end, I would end it.

- Gawd chiming in

BlakeM likes this.