Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 manu General Discussion 55 10-15-2009 08:48 PM

Believe in 2012

Old 11-18-2009 at 11:34 PM   #31
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

I am actually pretty eager for 2012 to come. I want to see all the crazy stuff people are going to do before and their reaction after nothing happens.
Old 11-18-2009 at 11:53 PM   #32
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino View Post
I am actually pretty eager for 2012 to come. I want to see all the crazy stuff people are going to do before and their reaction after nothing happens.
I thought the same thing about Y2K, and it was a big let down. No one did anything.
Old 11-19-2009 at 12:04 AM   #33
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I thought the same thing about Y2K, and it was a big let down. No one did anything.
Well cause apparently someone out there has perpetrated the myth that the world will be "destroyed". Nothing even CLOSE to that was predicted in the co-relating Sumerian, Mayan, Egyptian predictions; they predicted a move towards a state of enlightenment for mankind. Obviously a term like that isn't fancy enough so they decided to change it to utter destruction; and just for the sake of it someone in hollywood spent millions filming that made up idea. Just plain silly. Same with Y2k the world wasn't going to be destroyed; there was a possible predicted computer programming malfunction that people made a big deal out of. The bigger deal was the world moving into the next millennium of uncertainty and technological progress. The Y2K bug just became an excuse :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 11-19-2009 at 12:51 AM   #34
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Dont worry about 2012 being the end of the world. The world will be fine, humans might die at any point but the planet will be fine. Even if all other life on earth dies the fungus will inherit the earth and we can always wait a few years for us to evolve out of them back to humans. Dont worry.
Old 11-19-2009 at 05:54 AM   #35
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

The world will end when the sun explodes or when global warming gets to be a little too much, or there's some crazy ice age that happens (a la Day After Tomorrow). I'm not an expert so don't quote me on that, but the sun thing won't happen for a few billion years. :]

EDIT: This is my two thousand and twelfth post. :]

Last edited by feonateresa : 11-19-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2009 at 07:01 AM   #36
hmmmcurious

Liked: 9 Times

But we have to wait till January 2013 to say "I told you so!"
Old 11-19-2009 at 08:20 PM   #37
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
Dont worry about 2012 being the end of the world. The world will be fine, humans might die at any point but the planet will be fine. Even if all other life on earth dies the fungus will inherit the earth and we can always wait a few years for us to evolve out of them back to humans. Dont worry.
Lol ... its not that easy ... but even if fungi and their ancestors do live an extinction event i seriously hope that something resembling humans doesnt re-evolve.

Also the probability of that happening is quite minute ... we've had quite a bit of luck in getting here ...

Old 11-19-2009 at 09:40 PM   #38
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
The world will end when the sun explodes or when global warming gets to be a little too much, or there's some crazy ice age that happens (a la Day After Tomorrow). I'm not an expert so don't quote me on that, but the sun thing won't happen for a few billion years. :]

EDIT: This is my two thousand and twelfth post. :]
lol, global warming will not end the world. It will only end the human race.

The planet has ways of self correcting:

"So you guys wanna turn up the temp in here? Fine. Start swimming in THIS (oceans flood continents). Or enjoy another ICE AGE (we're due for one soon)"

This is evolution on an even greater scale. The entire human species would win a Darwin!
Old 11-19-2009 at 11:08 PM   #39
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

this is soooooo stupid. Like what evidence is this even based on? Some Mayan's have some pictures that someone interpreted as the end of the world... come on! We are all going to be alive and well on Dec 21, 2012. And if this was even the slight bit true... shouldn't we be preparing?
Old 11-19-2009 at 11:22 PM   #40
stevennevets

Liked: 36 Times

just so everyone knows, the y2k bug was actually a big threat, the only reason nothing happened is because of the vast amounts of work put into fixing and updating software systems before the year 2000.

the 2012 thing is baloney though.
Old 11-20-2009 at 08:14 AM   #41
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by madquarker View Post
lol, global warming will not end the world. It will only end the human race.

The planet has ways of self correcting:

"So you guys wanna turn up the temp in here? Fine. Start swimming in THIS (oceans flood continents). Or enjoy another ICE AGE (we're due for one soon)"

This is evolution on an even greater scale. The entire human species would win a Darwin!
LOL true. But I think most people only would care about the human race. I wonder, if the human race were completely wiped out, would any species evolve to be anywhere near as intelligent as we were, in the future?

And to Steven, how was Y2K a big threat? What would have, hypothetically, happened if no work was done?
Old 11-20-2009 at 11:16 AM   #42
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Geek, yeshuvai like this.