MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help from Bell Mobility employee burforbt Computers & Tech 3 10-13-2010 08:04 PM
Man, Bell FiOS is shit Ownaginatios Computers & Tech 11 09-29-2010 12:44 PM
Rogers or Bell? anthony Computers & Tech 44 08-03-2010 04:29 PM
bell switching phone cjdzl Computers & Tech 1 08-02-2010 04:33 PM
RIP Glen Bell andrew22 General Discussion 9 01-19-2010 09:36 PM

Bell-Curve

Old 12-20-2009 at 05:56 PM   #31
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

where does it state that its not allowed to lower marks?

It was stated somewhere on here but I can't find it.

Also does this apply to re-grade forms. I want to remark an assignment but I always have the fear of loosing marks... are they allowed to do that? It says that on the sheet your grade be lower than the original.
Old 12-20-2009 at 07:23 PM   #32
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
where does it state that its not allowed to lower marks?

It was stated somewhere on here but I can't find it.

Also does this apply to re-grade forms. I want to remark an assignment but I always have the fear of loosing marks... are they allowed to do that? It says that on the sheet your grade be lower than the original.
Once in first year my partner and I wanted to get a lab report re-graded, and the I.A said that our reasons were valaid, but we asked if our mark could get lower, and she said she's seen a few lowered marks from re-grading, but not many,
I think that they write that so they won't get a million students asking for a re-grade over stupid things. Anyways, I didn't submit my paper back bc I was scared i'd get a TA who was feeling like taking marks off lol -Prob didnt matter in the long run lol
Old 12-20-2009 at 07:52 PM   #33
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
Once in first year my partner and I wanted to get a lab report re-graded, and the I.A said that our reasons were valaid, but we asked if our mark could get lower, and she said she's seen a few lowered marks from re-grading, but not many,
I think that they write that so they won't get a million students asking for a re-grade over stupid things. Anyways, I didn't submit my paper back bc I was scared i'd get a TA who was feeling like taking marks off lol -Prob didnt matter in the long run lol
That's what makes me not hand in re-grades, usually I know I deserve marks on a question but there's always questions your not sure about and I don't want to risk loosing marks. But I'm glad someone else besides a T.A. is marking this assignment. It says the prof or IA will mark it instead. At least that eliminates the bias and I guess they know what you should have.
Old 12-22-2009 at 11:46 AM   #34
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Yes, if you get something regraded, your mark can end up lower than it was (ie. if they 'find more mistakes' or you get a harsher grader).

I guess the technicality is, when your stuff is being regraded you haven't technically been assigned a grade for that assignment etc. yet.

---------------

@Kathy: I'm not trying to be a pain or anything here, and I certainly don't mean any disrespect...like I said you could be right but I'd just like to point out that sometimes things are ambiguous and relative in courses with for subjective grading (for instance, essays). Namely, if everyone is doing consistently worse than your other courses, then it's not a stretch to say it's actually the grade you deserve.

(Are you familiar with stats? The quantity that should be preserved across your classes is not your grade...it's more likely that your z-value will be what's consistent ie. "I'm doing better than 75% of the class" but of course this isn't a perfect measurement)

The thing I have a problem with is accusing your professor, who clearly has a lot more expertise in the subject than you or I or the course TA, of grading in such a biased manner...I think that's a far more serious accusation than you realize (It's possible, but in my opinion it's more likely that your prof gave a 'second opinion' to confirm the result).