RIP Glen Bell andrew22 General Discussion 9 01-19-2010 09:36 PM
Bell-Curve salimak Academics 33 12-22-2009 11:46 AM

Man, Bell FiOS is shit

Old 09-28-2010 at 10:32 PM   #1
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Man, Bell FiOS is shit
I only got this crap internet service because one of the randoms in my house jumped the gun and ordered it before consulting everybody. We were originally gonna get the top-tier package in Cogeco.

So first of all, they gave us this absolute piece of shit modem/router/wireless router piece of garbage set 'by default' with WEP encryption (protip bell: WEP has been crackable by 10 year olds since 2001). I had to get hacked firmware just to turn it only into a modem, since I already have a good router.

Now, the connection drops out whenever there is bad weather, and the thing only operates at about 10 Mb/s max (it's supposed to be 16 Mb/s) and the ****ing company throttles nearly 24/7. If I want to watch any shows of the night, I pretty much have to wait until 2 AM, or remember to start downloading before 2 PM the next day (ya, they start throttling then rather than 4:30 PM like before). I managed to get around it for about a week by sending everything encrypted over port 1723, but then of course Bell decided to invest their money in crushing that too, instead of, you know - upgrading their shitty ass network?!

So ya, **** bell. Luckily we were on this "test drive" package, so I'm going to try and switch to Cogeco (they suck too, but at least they don't throttle).

Just a heads up/nerd rage.
Old 09-28-2010 at 10:39 PM   #2
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I only got this crap internet service because one of the randoms in my house jumped the gun and ordered it before consulting everybody.
I would punch that random for doing that. Or make him pay more for choosing a crappy and probably more expensive internet package.
I was going to go with Cocego, but I went with Teksavvy because they were cheaper and they had a higher limit.
Old 09-28-2010 at 10:47 PM   #3
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
I would punch that random for doing that. Or make him pay more for choosing a crappy and probably more expensive internet package.
I was going to go with Cocego, but I went with Teksavvy because they were cheaper and they had a higher limit.
Cogeco Business, yo. No limit, higher priority in customer service (and most likely with regards to your connection). A touch expensive but when you add overage fees to standard Cogeco, it's cheaper.

You also get to say you have a business. Serial bidness.

Old 09-28-2010 at 10:48 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
Under normal circumstances I would go with TekSavvy, but I would rather not here for few reasons:

1) Their lines go over bell lines, therefore also throttled
2) Their cable service isn't in Hamilton yet (actually due to Cogeco being a bunch of dicks)
3) We have 7 people, but hardly anyone downloads (except me), so a higher bandwidth is more desirable than a higher bandwidth cap.

In normal circumstances, I would punch someone in the face for doing that... but he's a really nice guy and I don't think had any ill-intentions.
Old 09-28-2010 at 10:48 PM   #5
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I only got this crap internet service because one of the randoms in my house jumped the gun and ordered it before consulting everybody. We were originally gonna get the top-tier package in Cogeco.

So first of all, they gave us this absolute piece of shit modem/router/wireless router piece of garbage set 'by default' with WEP encryption (protip bell: WEP has been crackable by 10 year olds since 2001). I had to get hacked firmware just to turn it only into a modem, since I already have a good router.

Now, the connection drops out whenever there is bad weather, and the thing only operates at about 10 Mb/s max (it's supposed to be 16 Mb/s) and the ****ing company throttles nearly 24/7. If I want to watch any shows of the night, I pretty much have to wait until 2 AM, or remember to start downloading before 2 PM the next day (ya, they start throttling then rather than 4:30 PM like before). I managed to get around it for about a week by sending everything encrypted over port 1723, but then of course Bell decided to invest their money in crushing that too, instead of, you know - upgrading their shitty ass network?!

So ya, **** bell. Luckily we were on this "test drive" package, so I'm going to try and switch to Cogeco (they suck too, but at least they don't throttle).

Just a heads up/nerd rage.
i no what you mean we have bell at our place rite now and its so frigen shyt honestly it just randomly stops and lags like there is no 2marro. worst internet service in hamilton, thank god we are switching soon
Old 09-28-2010 at 11:10 PM   #6
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Im with TekSavvy atm and it isnt too bad. Connection is alright and its not laggy at all. Download speeds could be better but I dont complain.
Old 09-29-2010 at 12:36 AM   #7
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

I had Bell install their Fibe 16 in my house last week. I got the install for free and 4 months free by buying a $10 piece of paper from Dell. Anyways, its beyond terrible. While it does seem like there's a reasonable amount of usable bandwidth (maybe ~6 Mbps down 800 kbps up), their routing tables are screwy and browsing becomes a reminds me of my 56k modem days ... actually more like 33.6k.

On the bright side, there was no phone line (as in no physical wire) into my house and after some prodding and complaining I made them install that (digging and everything) for free (instead of a couple hundred $ normally). So now if Cogeco (my current provider) starts being annoying, I can at least switch to Teksavvy DSL without forking out for the line.

In short, stay far far away from Bell Fibe, but if you can get them to do work for you for free, then that's always worth it! I've already called in and scheduled my account to be closed 1 week before my 4 months free are up, just in case I forget.

Oh the link to the piece of paper from Dell is here:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...xLCj9fx5Vb3 w

Its currently $30, but goes on sale for less from time to time.
Old 09-29-2010 at 12:55 AM   #8
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Cogeco Business All The Way, getting 16Mb/s on torrents in the middle of the afternoon + 200GB bandwidth is worth paying a bit more (oh god, I sound like a Mac user...)
Old 09-29-2010 at 06:53 AM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Im with TekSavvy atm and it isnt too bad. Connection is alright and its not laggy at all. Download speeds could be better but I dont complain.
Same lines as bell. If you have connection issues with one, you will have it with the other.

BTW - bell's fibe internet isnt FiOS. Cogeco isnt much better in busy areas either since cable slows down with # of nodes
Old 09-29-2010 at 10:00 AM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
BTW - bell's fibe internet isnt FiOS. Cogeco isnt much better in busy areas either since cable slows down with # of nodes
w/e, that's what the guy in my house who ordered it kept calling it.

Also, I've had Cogeco in Hamilton before (in first year), and it was alright.
Old 09-29-2010 at 11:33 AM   #11
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

GOD: USE TEKSAVVY

and the angels thou sing in joy !
Old 09-29-2010 at 12:44 PM   #12
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

DSL performance is going to be limited depending on how far you are from the CO right? I have Bell Fibe 25 in downtown Toronto, and it's brilliant. Consistently 25mbit max speeds, the only thing I dont like is the throttling. It doesn't affect me much because most of my stuff is from usenet, which isnt throttled...yet.