MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minor in French JayChu Academics 4 06-13-2011 08:25 PM
Minor in French MichaelScarn Academics 5 06-11-2011 07:17 PM
Minor in Art History or French Fawkes Academics 15 05-07-2010 12:34 PM
The benefits of a Business Degree and a minor? melodicdream First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-29-2009 01:58 PM
The Benefits of Taking Indigenous Studies Classes at McMaster lorend Academics 7 06-30-2009 10:27 PM

Benefits of a Minor in French

Old 06-13-2011 at 08:59 PM   #1
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Benefits of a Minor in French
I'm wondering how useful a French Minor will be in my future career if I become a doctor/surgeon.

I was initially planning on getting a Minor in French, but today I was doing some research about prerequisites for med school and I realized that I need to take a whole bunch of elective courses to fulfill some of those requirements.

So now I'm debating whether or not I should minor in French and my course selection is tonight at 12:01
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:26 PM   #2
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

What you need> what you want.

Cover all of your med school prereqs. Even though being well-versed in more than one language in Canada, especially French, is considered an advantage, but for your preferred line of work, it's not so crucial.

Hope this helps
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:25 PM   #3
BVictor

Liked: 7 Times

Don't bother.
You're not getting into Med School.
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:27 PM   #4
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor View Post
Don't bother.
Tell me about it, I can't even get into SOLAR.

Old 06-13-2011 at 11:29 PM   #5
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Don't bother.
Well that wasn't nice..
Old 06-14-2011 at 12:51 AM   #6
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Don't bother.
This guy is too try hard. The world needs doctors...

I prescribe to you the following medication:

@Bernard, If you can afford to get a minor in french, it'd be great. A minor is always good to have as it communicates your interests outside of your major. It might open up your opportunities to work in Quebec or something I dunno there's always more options available to you when you are bilingual.

But then again, there are all sorts of regulations to medicine so you might not be able to like work in a hospital in France or w/e due to different regulations and etc....so you gotta weigh out the pros and cons i guess.

Still...it's nice to know another language, when you are old one day you're not gonna think "oh damn, i could've kept my GPA slightly higher" you take away all the things that you learned from this university, in this case...another language. yeah....