MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amount of OSAP mesopotamia Financial Aid 3 06-28-2010 06:10 PM
Refund for residence fee possible? jubilantx First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-26-2010 08:43 PM
What are your biggest concerns/worries for this new school year? b_sunshine55 General Discussion 132 09-06-2009 01:39 AM
Is it possible to get a refund my MacPass kenvin100 General Discussion 4 08-15-2008 10:52 AM

best amount of money to earn for biggest tax refund?

Old 09-04-2010 at 11:18 PM   #1
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

best amount of money to earn for biggest tax refund?
I always hear these stories of students getting tax refunds over $5000 and I am wondering how. What I'm really looking for is a reason to quit my job. Last year I did over 50 grand and got back about $1000 as a full time student with tuition, textbooks and rent deductions.

Considering it costs me about $700 a month in car insurance, gas and maintance to keep my car and get to work, I'm wondering if I'd be better off to sell my car and find a lower paying job I can walk to and bank on a huge tax return.

I'm thinking about quiting my decent paying job that makes me want to kill myself and getting a something like a $12h job for 20 hours a week. Make like 15 grand, get some osap and a huge tax return and not have to work 40 hours a week an hour away and focus on school. Either that or intentionally miss work time to lower my income and get larger refund to balance it out resulting in the same money but less work.

Has anyone ever gotten a tax return well into the thousands? What kind of income does it take to get one of these monster returns?

thanks for any input.
Old 09-05-2010 at 08:26 AM   #2
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

As a student I've always received all of the taxes taken off my pay cheque back at tax time. Pretty sure it's a function of how much is taken off rather than how much you made. So if your employer doesn't take taxes off properly you won't get them back.