MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arkells Concert Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-11-2010 12:38 PM
Alexisonfire Concert Chad MacInsiders Announcements 22 09-07-2010 08:12 PM
Upcoming Concert Announcement Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 01-08-2010 03:53 PM
Welcome Week Concert Annoucement lorend MacInsiders Announcements 78 09-08-2009 07:25 PM
Concert New Date Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-09-2007 12:17 PM

Best Concert?

Old 12-12-2010 at 11:39 PM   #1
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Best Concert?
What's the best concert you've ever been to? I have a few:

-- Muse w/ Silversun Pickups @ the ACC, March 2010: Muse is an obvious choice, they are flawless live. Almost TOO good live, they sound too much like their record. The only drawback in their performance is they put all their effort into lighting and effects and have little stage presence. Still an unbelievable experience. But SSPU almost stole the show from them. The opening band doesn't ever get nearly the same sound or lighting quality but SSPU was phenomenal, Brian Aubert (lead singer) is the most energetic and emotionally moving musician I have ever seen live.

-- Brand New w/ Crime in Stereo and Glassjaw @ Koolhaus, November 2009: Crime in Stereo was a cool, chill-type punk opener. Then Glassjaw came on and set the place on fire, their lead singer is wild to watch and the whole band has this haunting, aggressive tone that made it amazing to watch. The show was hardly over though, as Brand New came on after Glassjaw and just shook the place. It was ****ing awesome. The only flaw was the sound quality in Koolhaus, the bands were too loud for the sound system.

-- Alexisonfire w/ Johnny Truant @ Faculty Hollow, September 2008: This was actually my first concert and I've become a concert junkie since. There aren't many words to describe this experience, they were my favourite band at the time and to have my favourite band play a show at my university during frosh week was incredible. Johnny Truant sucked but it didn't matter by the time Alexisonfire was done.

How about you? And what about bands you would die to see live? I MUST see Sigur Ros live before I die. Come hell or high water, that ****ing band will be on stage in front of me somewhere in the world. I would skip an exam for Sigur Ros.
Old 12-12-2010 at 11:54 PM   #2
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Some of the more memorable, my top 5 in chronological order:

- September 8, 2006: Magneta Lane at U of T Hart House (Frosh week). Decided to crash the U of T show and watch one of my favourite bands play.

- March 14, 2008: LIGHTS at the El Mocambo. This was the first time I saw her, and one of the last times she played to a 19+ venue of maybe a couple hundred people. I was photographing this show and enjoyed every second of it. Times have changed since then and I couldn't be happier for her!

Lights @ The El Mocambo by Jerry Vo, on Flickr

- June 6, 2008: City and Colour at Massey Hall. Great show.

- March 13, 2010: The Balconies at The Horseshoe Tavern as part of Canadian Music Week. GREAT band, I was shooting this concert and managed to get to the side of the stage for a few songs.

- October 23, 2010: Stars at Massey Hall. EPIC.

Last edited by temptingf8 : 12-12-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2010 at 12:02 AM   #3
PhilM

Liked: 148 Times

KISS, September 2010. They were on "The Hottest Show On Earth" Tour and they lived up to that name BIG TIME. They played a great set list which included new and old songs. A few of the songs they played I hadn't heard before and they have become some favourites. There was good interaction with the crowd, pyro, rising stages, lights...that night I wanted the best and got the best for sure.
Old 12-13-2010 at 12:10 AM   #4
danallan

Liked: 27 Times

Spoon/Deerhunter, March 2010. I went for Spoon (my fave band), but was blown away by the deerhunter set (and have since become a huge fan). Spoon was electric too, and the songs took on a whole new dimension live withoit studio magic they are known for

Tokyo Police Club, October 2010. Was in Washington, DC for the Stewart/Colbert rally and kinda just stumbled on this concert. Was piss drunk so i don't remember the music quality, it was just an awesome time.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, July 2006. Neil Young is the man! He was still kicking out the sweet tunes even in his 60s, all the classic hippy songs were so wicked to experience in person

Last edited by danallan : 12-13-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-13-2010 at 12:13 AM   #5
danallan

also, two bands i MUST see

-jack white, in some way/shape/form (be it white stripes, raconteurs, or dead weather)

-the black keys (the best band on the planet right now!)
Old 12-13-2010 at 12:28 AM   #6
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

I haven't been to many concerts, but my favourite one was Tiesto at Arrow Hall in October of 2009. I was driving, so of course I couldn't drink. But it felt like I was drunk or on something lol.

Artists that I want to see include Above & Beyond, Armin van Buuren, Ferry Corsten, Paul van Dyk. All trance artists. Ironically, I've also seen Metallica and Iron Maiden when I was in grade 8/9. I'm tempted to go see deadmau5 on Boxing Day even though I'm not a big fan of his :S
Old 12-13-2010 at 12:38 AM   #7
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I can't believe you guys remember the dates so well!

I think my all time favourite would have been Bright Eyes @ Massey Hall, sometime in 2007? I still used MySpace when I went to the show, so it was probably around then (OMG I JUST REALISED HOW OLD I AM). It was a great concert, and while it wouldn't have been my first choice as a venue, he put on a spectacular show- it was so intimate, and really gave an extra bit of depth to his songs.

Wolfmother was another great one, that was probably 2006 or 2007. Just because there were like 20 people from my highschool in the front row (and we were all from an hour away), that was at the Koolhaus. It was such a great show, they had so much energy.

Also at the Koolhaus, in 2008, Metro Station/Mae/Anberlin/Motion City Soundtrack was an awesome show. Metro Station was still a ridiculously small band with no hits, and was actually super into it. Mae didn't put on a great show, but Anberlin and MCS absolutely killed it.

Haven't been to many concerts since uni started, but Arcade Fire, Monsters of Folk, and Brand New are all bands I would really love to see. I'm super jealous of your Brand New concert >.<
Old 12-13-2010 at 12:57 AM   #8
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
I haven't been to many concerts, but my favourite one was Tiesto at Arrow Hall in October of 2009. I was driving, so of course I couldn't drink. But it felt like I was drunk or on something lol...
Same effect here. I saw him twice in Winnipeg (2007 and 2009). It was like being taken to another world.
Old 12-13-2010 at 07:26 AM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Bon Jovi in January 2006 (not sure about the month, def 2006 though) at the ACC. By far the best concert I had seen at that point and thought nothing could top it.
Till I saw him again this past summer. Went with one of my best friends (first concert I'd been to without my dad haha) and was drinking age, it was one wild party. Bon Jovi is incredible live. Seeing him for the 3rd time in February. =]

Metallica (opening: Godsmack) easily takes the 2nd spot, went with my dad in 2005 at the ACC, it was awesome seeing my favorite band live. Played a lot of classics as well as their St. Anger stuff (I didn't mind, I liked the album). It was great. Dying to see them again.

Judas Priest (opening: Slayer) was killer as well, first time I was ever introduced to weed. I remember asking my dad "what's that smell?" and he was like "don't worry about it," and my brother wouldn't tell me either but in retrospect, it was definitely weed. Mad jokes.

Worst I've been to was Iron Maiden. VERY disappointing set list.

Who else have I seen... Guns and Roses, Alice Cooper, Jimmy Eat World/Taking Back Sunday/some other band. Yep, that's about it.

Dying to see The Hip and Van Halen live. My life would be complete.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-13-2010 at 09:20 AM   #10
blenicnl

Liked: 4 Times

alicia keys! she can sing
Old 12-13-2010 at 09:21 AM   #11
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

I've seen the Hip at Hamilton Place, and Copps. They are awesome, Gord is such a good performer.

As for my best, you could pick any of the 6 times I've seen Muse. They are on another level.

The Arcade Fire on Toronto Island was pretty bad ass, too.
Old 12-13-2010 at 09:37 AM   #12
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

1. Joanna Newsom at the Phoenix on March 13th 2010, easily the best show I've been to. Joanna was the sweetest thing ever, and she sounded amazing. I can honestly say that by the end of Baby Birch I was in tears, it was so beautiful

2. Sufjan Stevens at Massey Hall on October 13th 2010. It was pure art: visually and musically. Most people complained that he only did new material, but I expected mainly new material.

3. Toronto Island Fest June 19th 2010: Timbre Timbre, Beach House, Band of Horses, Broken Social Scene (with appearances by Emily Haines and Feist) and Pavement, pretty mindblowing

4. Toronto Island Fest II August 14th 2010: The Sadies, Janelle Monae and The Arcade Fire. Janelle was amazing, never seen so much energy on stage, and Arcade Fire, was well, the Arcade Fire

5. Rilo Kiley-May 28th 2008 at The Phoenix: They played mainly older stuff, which was great because their newer album kinda sucked. Jenny Lewis had great stage presence, sounded better live than on record

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

Last edited by jamescw1234 : 12-13-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Lois, tatski-p like this.
Old 12-13-2010 at 10:18 AM   #13
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

Motley Crue on their Red, White and Crue tour in August 2007, held at the Molson Amp. The entire show was just incredible. The set list was great. The show had everything from pyrotechnics to Tommy Lee swinging back and forth between elevated drumming platforms on ziplines. There were acrobatic dancers hanging prom the top of the stage, motorcycles flying around on stage, and they were even brash enough to throw a few strippers into the mix. It was definitely a site to behold. I've seen Aerosmith, AC/DC, Priestess, Airbourne, and a whole host of country bands, but this show was by far the best.
Old 12-13-2010 at 10:38 AM   #14
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Whoa, seeing Muse must've been awesome!

My list of concerts (Best to worst):
-Dream Theater (2009): Opening bands were BigEfl and Frank Zappa's son playing Zappa's music. What made this concert so good was that Dream Theater played amazing; their skill at playing their instruments is better than anything I've seen.
-Metallica (2010): @ the ACC. Sound quality was amazing, James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich had a shitload of energy the whole concert.
-Billy Talent (~2006): Back when Billy Talent II had just come out. Good concert but sound quality was kinda bad and I didn't like the opening bands
-U2 (2010): meh

Yeah I think that's it. I'm pissed off though, 'cause I bought tickets to see Megadeth this year but I missed the concert
Old 12-13-2010 at 11:33 AM   #15
AKSAKS

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

Seem I attended your dream concert. A few years ago, at a Research In Motion event at the ACC, the Hip opened for Van Halen.