MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MCAT Prep Princeton X!Bilet Academics 11 05-31-2010 09:24 AM
Recommended Courses for the MCAT? pat2010 Academics 8 03-20-2010 01:13 PM
Mcat? Al-mansi General Discussion 6 10-16-2009 04:12 PM
MCAT physics maryam17 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-27-2009 08:25 PM

best MCAT prep books

Old 05-10-2010 at 07:37 PM   #1
maryam17

Liked: 2 Times

best MCAT prep books
Does anybody know the best books for self-study for the MCAT. (eg. Kaplan, Princeton, ExamKrackers). I know some books are better for particular parts of the MCAT (for example, physical science, biological science, verbal reasoning, and writing). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated since I don't know many people who have already taken the MCAT.

I have some experience with first year biology and general chemistry, but not much in physics and organic chemistry. So if anyone can point out books that are detailed for these sections that would be great.

thanks so much!!

-Maryam
Old 05-10-2010 at 07:51 PM   #2
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Kaplan is not extensive in the physical sciences (specifically organic chemistry and physics) - for this, if these are your weaker areas (i.e. less background in these subjects), I would recommend Examkrackers. Kaplan's book is very well written though and really clear and an easy read so it's a good choice.

So my recommendation: Kaplan + Examkrackers (either the full 5 EK books which are a better deal, or just the EK physics/chemistry)

Also, I would suggest buying the Kaplan book new because it comes with an access code online which gives you access to some great resources - a diagnostic quiz, an online syllabus - its essentially a really good tool for self study - every month they have new quizzes, things like that.

Chapters website is a good place to start looking for these books. The in store selections are really crappy.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-11-2010 at 01:47 AM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

This is a great debriefing on what you need to self study for the MCAT:
http://forums.studentdoctor. net/sh...php?t=6238 98

And this is a great resource for some MCAT self study, particularly Physics:
http://www.wikipremed.com/
Old 05-30-2010 at 09:39 PM   #4
Shayani_C

Liked: 0 Times

Hey everyone,

I actually have a bunch of OAT and MCAT prep materials if anyone was interested in purchasing them. Prices are cheap and negotiable. If interested email me at [email protected] or leave me a message on facebook (Shay Chatterjee).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of materials available -->
1) Kaplan Premier Program (2007-2008 ed.) with CD-ROM (This is the personalized self-study book with all the materials you will ever need for the MCAT)

2) Kaplan OAT (2009-2010 ed.)--> contains numerous practice questions and full length tests. (great for both mcat and oat since it covers the exact same material except for the quantitative reasoning section in the oats and the written essay portion on the mcats)

3) Kaplan DAT (2009-2010 ed.) --> contains all the information required for the mcats and oat as well as the Quantitative Reasoning section for the oats.