MCAT prep course hamnahx02 Academics 5 12-09-2010 11:33 AM
MCAT Prep Princeton X!Bilet Academics 11 05-31-2010 09:24 AM
best MCAT prep books maryam17 Academics 3 05-30-2010 09:39 PM

THE BEST MCAT PREP COURSE? PRINCETON vs. PREP 101

Old 03-02-2011 at 11:10 PM   #1
snair

Liked: 0 Times

THE BEST MCAT PREP COURSE? PRINCETON vs. PREP 101
Planning on taking MCAT Prep course... Not sure which one? Any suggestions between Prep 101 and Princeton!?
Old 03-02-2011 at 11:36 PM   #2
neila.b

Liked: 13 Times

Definitely do not go with prep101, I've heard nothing but bad things. I took Kaplan and was very satisfied with it, and I've also heard good things about TPR.
Old 03-03-2011 at 01:33 AM   #3
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

I took Kaplan.
The instructor was crap, but the course material and their online content is quite useful
Old 03-03-2011 at 07:56 AM   #4
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Princeton was fine, instructors are great but the course in my opinion won't help you much. I didn't see score improvements by the end. They focus much too heavily on content review, which is not required (unless you are of a non-science background). Content review is useless, in my opinion your time is MUCH better spent doing practice exams. Buy then from AAMC and learn the technique. Knowing the content helps put things into context but if you can read the little blurb and understand it reasonably well then there's no reason you can't do really well on the mcat. It tests your ability to extract information from a given passage, NOT your ability to recall random facts.

In my opinion: No course, just practice!

RyanC likes this.
Old 03-03-2011 at 06:26 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Princeton has too much info.

Kaplan was good, but it really depends on your instructor. The materials are good though.

Prep 101 = garbage.

I would go without a course and self study though.

Old 03-03-2011 at 06:37 PM   #6
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Off-topic: What do you think of Examkrackers?
Old 03-03-2011 at 06:43 PM   #7
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
I haven' started studying yet, but I have EK and some Princeton books, and I've looked through a bit. From what it seems to me, Princeton goes into details that are either a) not needed/background (but does not seem to make this distinction often enough) or b) should be common knowledge to the average II or III sci student.

I'm probably going to use Princeton for content and EK for summaries/practice. I'll probably rely heavily on Princeton for something like Physics, which I totally suck at, but not for something like Bio, which I have a much stronger background.

So I guess it depends. EK is straight up they don't even pretend you care about anything but the MCAT. Princeton takes it easy and goes through things the long way. Depending on what you need, either could be a good choice.

(I have no idea about Kaplan, I haven't see any of their books)

justinsftw says thanks to britb for this post.
Old 03-03-2011 at 06:59 PM   #8
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
absolutely fantastic! very straight and to the point, but the sample exams are not highly indicative of the real mcat. the only thing that will give you a true indication is the aamc exams.

but i think examkrackers >>> kaplan > princeton.

btw, the audio osmosis for examkrackers is a good resource if you need a review of the very basic, and entertaining as well.

justinsftw says thanks to SciMania for this post.
Old 03-03-2011 at 07:12 PM   #9
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:

Their 101/1001 Verbal passages was good. I used it to prep and ended up with an 11.

justinsftw says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 03-03-2011 at 07:25 PM   #10
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I haven' started studying yet, but I have EK and some Princeton books, and I've looked through a bit. From what it seems to me, Princeton goes into details that are either a) not needed/background (but does not seem to make this distinction often enough) or b) should be common knowledge to the average II or III sci student.

I'm probably going to use Princeton for content and EK for summaries/practice. I'll probably rely heavily on Princeton for something like Physics, which I totally suck at, but not for something like Bio, which I have a much stronger background.

So I guess it depends. EK is straight up they don't even pretend you care about anything but the MCAT. Princeton takes it easy and goes through things the long way. Depending on what you need, either could be a good choice.

(I have no idea about Kaplan, I haven't see any of their books)
that's very true. i also found that in the princeton course there were people with absolutely no science background, for example people from engineering who had taken no science courses other than those in highschool. So in that case the extra detail was required, but as you said for a level II/III science student these are redundant and a waste of time...
Old 03-03-2011 at 07:44 PM   #11
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I`ve heard that EK`s verbal material is the best. I liked Princeton`s books but their online material is way harder than the actual MCAT.

I think most people with a good background in the sciences can self-study for the MCAT, just get someone to guide you through the written sample.

That being said, I may be teaching some of these prep courses this summer
Old 03-03-2011 at 07:57 PM   #12
SciMania
Elite Member

btw, if you search hard enough online (torrents and what not) you can avoid having to spend money on prep books. i managed to find all the EK, and kaplan prep books online.
Old 03-03-2011 at 08:15 PM   #13
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
btw, if you search hard enough online (torrents and what not) you can avoid having to spend money on prep books. i managed to find all the EK, and kaplan prep books online.
EK audio osmosis is also available on pirate bay, saved me $250
Old 03-03-2011 at 08:30 PM   #14
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Steals from the rich, gives to the poor. The Robin Hood of our generation.

Last edited by RememberTwce : 03-03-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2011 at 08:52 PM   #15
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post

Steals from the rich, gives to the poor. The Robin Hood of our generation.

World's Most Resilient Bittorrent Site! <3

I miss mininova, though, no sexy models making me feel ugly on the sidebar...lol

alh24, RememberTwce like this.