MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trade Anthro 1A03 2D for Anthro 1Z03 2E DFKMcDonough Academics 6 08-10-2010 05:18 PM
Trading Anthro 1A03 1D for Anthro 1A03 2E VoyozooT Academics 0 07-06-2009 01:00 PM

Best Way to study for Anthro 1A03??

Old 01-07-2010 at 03:23 PM   #1
melodicdream

Liked: 10 Times

Best Way to study for Anthro 1A03??
I really hate listening to Arratia's lectures because you never know whether she's talking about anything important. She also tells us to read the textbook but there's content in the textbook that she doesn't cover in class, would we have to know it then?

What are some good ways to do well in this course?
Old 01-07-2010 at 04:07 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I took the course last year, her lectures pretty much summarize the readings, she does like to tie in her research to her readings, but I'd say if you were to focus on either the lecture or readings, make the readings your priority.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

Alchemist11, meddling, melodicdream all say thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.

Maegs likes this.
Old 01-07-2010 at 04:15 PM   #3
melodicdream

Thanks.... but how about stuff in the readings that she didn't cover in class? Will we be tested on it during the final exam?
Old 01-07-2010 at 04:25 PM   #4
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodicdream View Post
Thanks.... but how about stuff in the readings that she didn't cover in class? Will we be tested on it during the final exam?
I took this class two years ago and some of the course content/structure has probably changed.....but I'm pretty sure even the readings are fair game for the final exam.
Old 01-07-2010 at 04:54 PM   #5
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Well, she has said that she likes to focus on the concepts more than specific examples - so if anything I would assume the readings that have in depth examples are there to help you understand and work with the concepts. You should probably be familiar with them but I doubt there would be explicit memorization questions based on textbook stuff.
Old 01-07-2010 at 06:05 PM   #6
Erika0909

Liked: 0 Times

I had her last semester and only really went to 2 of the classes a week instead of 3 just because the majority of her classes would basically explain what's already in the textbook. So if you have no problem reading the textbook and making sense of whats in there then go for it. But do go to the classes occasionally because she likes to show videos that are important for the exam as well as make sure you understand the terms and main concepts.
Old 01-07-2010 at 07:20 PM   #7
aa84

Liked: 0 Times

can anyone tell me what happened in class? I couldnt make it back to ontario by the 4th?
please and thanks in advance...
Old 01-07-2010 at 08:07 PM   #8
melodicdream

nothing really... we just went through half of chapter 1. Notes are already up on elm.
Old 01-07-2010 at 09:13 PM   #9
Cassandraa87

Liked: 1 Time

I took her class last semester and went to all the lectures, not that I had to just cause i was at mac all day anyways... the exam was 100 multiple choice and was fairly easy !

she didnt ask any specific examples such as case studies that are mentioned in the book so dont worry about those, however i would say ir your gonna study anything ... study the lecture material and the key words that are located at the bottom of pages in the book. I found that alot of terms and key points were in the exam... Overall its a pretty easy class so relax !!