MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Procedure for dropping a course... and retrieving my money CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 10-05-2010 03:41 PM
OSAP procedure HELP!!!!! luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 50 09-04-2010 12:00 AM
Admission for Honor Chem in 2009/10 and 2010/11 TcomJ Academics 1 08-10-2010 08:49 AM
BHSc Holiday Fundraiser temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-26-2009 09:20 AM
BHSc 2009 Admission - Eng U Requirement Neha Academics 4 10-22-2008 09:27 AM

BHSc 2009 - Admission Procedure

Old 10-20-2008 at 01:32 PM   #1
sunil

Liked: 0 Times

BHSc 2009 - Admission Procedure
Is it true that after you achieve a 90% avg (based on last years cutoff) then its only the Supp App that gets graded on a scale of 7 and Admission is decided based on that - marks can come into play in case there is a tie
Old 10-20-2008 at 02:06 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Although I'm not in Health Sci I think you should be wary of the whole cutoff....thing.

Let's say you have 101 applicants for 50 spaces for a 2009 application (I'm using easy numbers here for simplicity's sake). 90 of those applicants have an average of 94%. 5 have an average of 90%. 5 have an average of 97%. You are applying with a 91%.

The 5 people with the 97% average will get in. It is likely then that 45 of the 90 applicants with the 94% average will get in. However the rest is sort of gray area...we don't know how the university accepts applicants to all programs.

Based on your grade, you will not get in (or it is highly likely you will not), even if you met the cutoff of the year previous. Cutoff grades are a guideline only. If more people apply with a higher average in your year it would be more difficult to be accepted than if the application averages were lower.

For Health Sci specifically: If the above is true (five with the 97%, 90 with 94%) it is likely that their deciding factor will be the supplemental application. I am also going on the assumption that those with the highest grades would get the highest 'mark' on their supplementary application, for simplicity's sake. Again, there are a lot of variables and you can't give a definitive answer, as everything depends on the applicant pool.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 10-20-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Neha says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 10-20-2008 at 03:34 PM   #3
Neha

I am not in Health Sciences - but am a prospective student.

Why do you say that the 5 with a 97 "will get in" - will these people get in even if all of them score a 3 out of 7 on their Supp apps.

So what is the criteria? Do they scale your marks (ie your avg) down to 93 and add the marks scored in Supp App - basic Inquiry ??

Or do they decide a cut-off for the year based on how keen the applicant pool is and then go by the Supp Apps only - another basic Inquiry ??

So how is the Supp App marked is it 2, 2 and 3 for the 3 Q's

I have been to the Mac Med school website - just like the Health Sciences program it is a highly sought after program - with over 4500 applicants. They have elaborate procedures but they publish their selection process - Pre-Interview and Post-Interview criteria, weightage for GPA / MMI / App etc.

Mac Med school publishes stats on its incoming class - a break down on GPA / age / undergrad etc.

Why can't the faculty of Health Sciences take a cue from that and publish :

1. Selection Criteria

2. Stats for the year - Min avg, Max avg, - Number of International students/ OOP and Ontario students/ Min max scores on supp apps etc

Why does this program (the flagship program of McMaster) keeps 4000 applicants in the dark till the very end.

jchng123 says thanks to Neha for this post.
Old 10-20-2008 at 04:27 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I am saying nothing based on the health sci application -- just the cutoff grade, and how one should respond to it (it is the same thing for all programs).

No one knows if you can get in based on the cutoff grade from the previous year because the information is only in regards to the previous year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-20-2008 at 04:57 PM   #5
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

really lorend.. so the top people will for sure get in?

HMM i just thought it was a personality assessment based on your supplementary application after you reach the 90 mark. To see if you are the "right fit" is what I was told O.o

Last edited by sinthusized : 10-20-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2008 at 05:11 PM   #6
wfujarczuk

Liked: 1 Time

I applied last year and at the Open House session for Health Sci, they said that once you get a 90% it's pretty much up to supplementary application. They said that you definitely need 90% though.

Even if that isn't the case, the supplementary application definitely plays a huge role in deciding - I know one of my friends got into health sci with low 90's.

I would email/call the health sci dept at Mac and ask for clarification.
Old 10-20-2008 at 06:05 PM   #7
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neha View Post
I am not in Health Sciences - but am a prospective student.

Why do you say that the 5 with a 97 "will get in" - will these people get in even if all of them score a 3 out of 7 on their Supp apps.

So what is the criteria? Do they scale your marks (ie your avg) down to 93 and add the marks scored in Supp App - basic Inquiry ??

Or do they decide a cut-off for the year based on how keen the applicant pool is and then go by the Supp Apps only - another basic Inquiry ??

So how is the Supp App marked is it 2, 2 and 3 for the 3 Q's

I have been to the Mac Med school website - just like the Health Sciences program it is a highly sought after program - with over 4500 applicants. They have elaborate procedures but they publish their selection process - Pre-Interview and Post-Interview criteria, weightage for GPA / MMI / App etc.

Mac Med school publishes stats on its incoming class - a break down on GPA / age / undergrad etc.

Why can't the faculty of Health Sciences take a cue from that and publish :

1. Selection Criteria

2. Stats for the year - Min avg, Max avg, - Number of International students/ OOP and Ontario students/ Min max scores on supp apps etc

Why does this program (the flagship program of McMaster) keeps 4000 applicants in the dark till the very end.
I think you should direct your questions to the admissions department in the Faculty of Health Science, but whether they are willing to give you further information on their application procedures is completely up to them. Anyways, I don't think you should stress out so much about the actual admission process, just try your best.
Old 10-20-2008 at 06:15 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I am saying nothing based on the health sci application -- just the cutoff grade, and how one should respond to it (it is the same thing for all programs).
sinthusized, I will say it a third time: I am not responding to the application process, just what a cutoff grade means. A cutoff grade from the previous year is not indicative of a student being accepted the following year as the applicants for a program change from year to year. This is the same for every program, and not just for health sci.

Neha says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 10-20-2008 at 08:11 PM   #9
ndeol

just put effort into your supplementary and try to get good grades

other than that...try not to worry so much
Old 10-21-2008 at 10:46 PM   #10
JoshuaLai

I'm a first year Health Sci student and if I remember correctly, my admission average was somewhere like, low to mid 90s or something. However, i knew PLENTY of people with averages higher than mine who didn't get in.

Regarding your supplementary, it's not like they're gonna show you exactly how you're "graded", so i don't think it should matter...like break down wise. All the advice I can give you is just write clearly and be honest...though, i'm not exactly sure what the questions are this year. I'm just going by last year's questions.
Old 10-22-2008
casey.park
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-02-2008 at 01:04 PM   #11
Niana

I'm currently in Life Sciences Level I, and am considering applying for a transfer application to Health Science. Do you know whether (and/or how) the process is any different for transfer students? And do you think I would be at a disadvantage since I would have missed the first year in the faculty? Thanks!
Old 11-02-2008 at 01:58 PM   #12
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 28 Times

Transferring into 2nd year Health Science isn't as difficult as you'd think. I think it's a matter of choosing the program as an option when you choose your specialization later in the year and filling out a supplementary application.

There's 20 spots for transfer students and some of them come from McMaster and others are from various other schools.

Also, you need at least an A- average (9.5 to a 10) and a full year of both Chemistry and Biology.
Old 11-02-2008 at 02:13 PM   #13
Niana

Okay, thanks!