MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio 1A03 and 1M03 Together... britb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-05-2009 02:07 AM

Bio 1A03 & 1M03

Old 06-26-2011 at 04:53 PM   #1
livveh

Liked: 0 Times

Bio 1A03 & 1M03
So I was trying to figure out my courses for next year and the only thing I'm having trouble deciding on is when to take 1A03 and 1M03. I looked around and saw mixed reviews on each of the profs which just added to my confusion..

SEMESTER 1
1A03 - Kajiura and Zhu
1M03 - Stone and Kolasa

SEMESTER 2
1A03 - Kajiura and Wilson
1M03 - Quinn and Evans

I'm wondering which semester to take each one since its not recommended to take them both during one semester

Thank you
Old 06-26-2011 at 05:08 PM   #2
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by livveh View Post
So I was trying to figure out my courses for next year and the only thing I'm having trouble deciding on is when to take 1A03 and 1M03. I looked around and saw mixed reviews on each of the profs which just added to my confusion..

SEMESTER 1
1A03 - Kajiura and Zhu
1M03 - Stone and Kolasa

SEMESTER 2
1A03 - Kajiura and Wilson
1M03 - Quinn and Evans

I'm wondering which semester to take each one since its not recommended to take them both during one semester

Thank you
Hello
Personally if I had to take both courses again, i'd do Bio2a03 in semester 1 and 1m03 in semester 2. Here are my reasons:
1) I had Dr Quinn and he was an amazing prof! His lectures were very interesting and his test/exam questions were straightforward(i.e there were no suprises). Also, he brought in some amazing guest lecturers.
2) Personally I found Dr Stone to be an extremely kind prof who is very approachable and welcoming to any questions. However, majority of my peers didn't like coming to his lectures because he pretty much read of the slides. So if you don't want to fall asleep in class chose Dr Quinn over Dr Stone

3) I don't know anything about Dr. Zhu. And as for Dr. Wilson, alot of my friends who had her didn't like her teaching style.

That being said, both Stone and Quinn are good profs, but personally, I like Dr. Quinn much better.

For more info, you can look at this thread------>http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ar+bi o+profs

Last edited by Purple2309 : 06-26-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2011 at 05:11 PM   #3
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

For 1A03, I haven't heard anything about Zhu; however, I had Wilson last year. At first she might come off as a little intimidating (compared to Kajiura, atleast ), but she really isn't that bad. I found her test/exam questions to be a little harder (again, compared to Kajiura), but that might be because I skipped a bunch of her lectures.

For 1M03, I'd definitely recommend taking it second term with Quinn. I had Stone and Quinn last year, and Quinn was waaaaaaaay better in my opinion. I found Stone's lectures to get extremely dry (basically him reading word for word off of powerpoint), which made it hard for me to really absorb the info. It also made it kinda hard to study the stuff later.

And oh yeah, I took both bios in the same term, and survived. So don't feel like you absolutely have to split them up
Old 06-26-2011 at 05:12 PM   #4
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple2309 View Post
Hello
Personally if I had to take both courses again, i'd do Bio2a03 in semester 1 and 1m03 in semester 2. Here are my reasons:
1) I had Dr Quinn and he was an amazing prof! His lectures were very interesting and his test/exam questions were straightforward(i.e there were no suprises). Also, he brought in some amazing guest lecturers.
2) Personally I found Dr Stone to be an extremely kind prof who is very approachable and welcoming to any questions. However, majority of my peers didn't like coming to his lectures because he pretty much read of the slides. So if you don't want to fall asleep in class chose Dr Quinn over Dr Stone

3) I don't know anything about Dr. Zhu. And as for Dr. Wilson, alot of my friends who had her didn't like her teaching style.

That being said, both Stone and Quinn are good profs, but personally, I like Dr. Quinn much better.
Quinn ftw!

Purple2309 likes this.
Old 06-27-2011 at 12:31 PM   #5
livveh

Liked: 0 Times

Thank you for the help!
I'm still a little unsure of what to do since the only thing I read on Zhu was very negative reviews on ratemyprofessor (though I know it isnt always accurate)
I was thinking of maybe taking both during second semester, but I would have to change around my physics to first term. Does anyone know anything about Hughes for physics? I was planning on taking Rheinstadter during second semester..
Old 06-27-2011 at 12:36 PM   #6
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

I personally would do Bio 1M03 first, 1A03 second. I really did not like Quinn.
Old 06-27-2011 at 01:10 PM   #7
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Dr. Kaijura is super nice, and many people loved her class. She definitely likes the material and has a passion for teaching, that's undeniable. Personally, I found she babied the class a little too much for my tastes. She constantly talks about what and how you should be studying, to the point where I felt like she was wasting class time in doing so. I'm probably in the minority though.

Dr. Wilson... I'm sorry, but she is just boring. Her lecturing is very dry, just reading off the slides. Very little personality injected into her classes. By the time the end of the semester came around, I'd say only 30% of the class was bothering to even come to lecture. I guess that speaks for itself.

Dr. Quinn is awesome. I thought he was really great. He's very engaged in the material, and I thought he was a great lecturer. However, I've heard others say they hated him. Opinion seems polarized on him but I definitely think he was a great prof.

For the person randomly asking about Dr. Hughes:

Dr. Hughes is a great prof! That said, I wouldn't say she does things by the book. She does not have formal notes posted, there are no slides. It's just her, the class, and a chalkboard. She will push you in class to participate, even if you do not volunteer :p That being said, she won't rip your head off if you don't know the answers either. But she will try and push you to come up with the answers, bit by bit. If there's ever a time where people aren't following along, she'll gladly take a step back to try and explain everything clearly, and she definitely tailors her answers specifically to the person asking the question. I also had her for 1BA3, and she's always very approachable for help if you need it, at least on the days where she doesn't have to run to a different room to teach her next class. So if you're not afraid to think for yourself a little bit, Dr. Hughes is awesome!

Last edited by Freak705 : 06-27-2011 at 01:20 PM.