MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reviewing Exams Freak705 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-31-2010 03:17 PM
Exams HG88 Academics 6 08-16-2009 11:52 PM
Exams in May? cowcow Academics 5 04-01-2009 09:17 PM
2 exams on same day =( kenvin100 Academics 13 12-04-2008 05:07 PM

Bio 1A03 Exams

Old 12-14-2010 at 02:00 PM   #1
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

Bio 1A03 Exams
Any upper years remember how this exam was? what was the focus on in terms of material etc.?
Old 12-14-2010 at 02:08 PM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

While I'm not an upper year, I too will be writing this exam tomorrow.

The exam is 100 multiple choice questions, with the majority coming from Dr. Boreham's section of the material. Since it is only multiple choice you will require a good understanding of terms and definitions. A good place to start some last minute cramming is to read through the glossary of the textbook and quiz yourself on the words. Guess at a term's definition and then check to see if you were right.

Also, stop by the MI study group later today. We meet at the blackboards at the front of Hamilton Hall, and there will probably be a few other BIO 1A03 students there studying. I plan to head over there later myself around 4:30-5:00 and spend most of the night there. It's hard to study in rez with my roommate yelling expletives at 12 year olds over Xbox live.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 12-14-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2010 at 02:10 PM   #3
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Borehams questions were completely random so have fun with that.

Kayee likes this.
Old 12-14-2010 at 03:09 PM   #4
waldo92

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
While I'm not an upper year, I too will be writing this exam tomorrow.

The exam is 100 multiple choice questions, with the majority coming from Dr. Boreham's section of the material. Since it is only multiple choice you will require a good understanding of terms and definitions. A good place to start some last minute cramming is to read through the glossary of the textbook and quiz yourself on the words. Guess at a term's definition and then check to see if you were right.

Also, stop by the MI study group later today. We meet at the blackboards at the front of Hamilton Hall, and there will probably be a few other BIO 1A03 students there studying. I plan to head over there later myself around 4:30-5:00 and spend most of the night there. It's hard to study in rez with my roommate yelling expletives at 12 year olds over Xbox live.
I live in Mississauga so I can't make it to the study group. I'm actually not too worried about the exam, just going to focus on the post-MT 2 material, which wasn't that bad, because I feel i have a good hold of the earlier stuff. plus Boreham told us that there aren't any tricks on the exam, so i guess if you know your stuff your good. thanks for the advice, though, and good luck with the exam!
Old 12-14-2010 at 05:16 PM   #5
jamiebenyovi

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
Borehams questions were completely random so have fun with that.
what do you mean by random??
did he throw in a lot of tricks??
Old 12-14-2010 at 05:51 PM   #6
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times

Boreham's part was easy. He reuses a few questions from the midterm; focus on the general concepts, and key statistics he highlights in his lectures. Did he do a review lecture with you guys? Everything he said, I recalled, was on the exam.

Kajiura's questions were BS though. Wordy as ****. Have fun with that.

Btw, you don't need to do that glossary BS. Textbooks for 1st year bio courses are useless.

Last edited by Inferno : 12-14-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2010 at 06:03 PM   #7
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

Focus on things that were key in lecture. Boreham almost always says "know this" or "be sure to write this down". From his questions there were a good chunk about DNA damage, radiation, and abnormal conditions with respect to chromosomes and DNA. As for Kajiura's questions, focus on concepts and facts that she focused on during lecture. But be sure to know all of the concepts she touched on. Sounds contradicting, I know, but just know well things she really focused on. I remember there were a bunch of questions about the biosphere stuff. And yes, there will be a few "random" curve balls, just like with any other exam.
Old 12-14-2010 at 06:10 PM   #8
waldo92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
I remember there were a bunch of questions about the biosphere stuff.
Biosphere stuff? as in chemical evolution? they stressed that bit a lot in the lectures but it didn't show up at all on the midterms, so maybe they put it up on the exam. But I don't remember doing anything explicitly related to ecology/the biosphere....
Old 12-14-2010 at 06:21 PM   #9
Buszaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
Biosphere stuff? as in chemical evolution? they stressed that bit a lot in the lectures but it didn't show up at all on the midterms, so maybe they put it up on the exam. But I don't remember doing anything explicitly related to ecology/the biosphere....
Oops, I got confused with 1M03 haha, my bad. In that case, remember the types of carbohydrates in detail (I'm serious)
Old 12-14-2010 at 07:14 PM   #10
comte

Liked: 16 Times

Do you remember if there were any figures, from which you had to choose what that was within a cell or what that structure was (between; phosolipid triglycerides, chitin, etc)?
Old 12-14-2010 at 07:47 PM   #11
Buszaj

Hmm, I don't think that there were too many figures. If any, they were about components of the cell based on microscopy images. I think there may have been some showing an image, and then you're asked to figure out what type of microscope was used. I don't remember too many details, so don't hold me to it
Old 12-14-2010 at 09:03 PM   #12
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebenyovi View Post
what do you mean by random??
did he throw in a lot of tricks??
Not tricks, but I remember he put in things like "How far can DNA stretch to the moon and back"