MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
envirosci 1a03 midterm from 2nd years? m0nica Academics 4 02-13-2011 11:25 PM
Geront 1A03/ Hth Age 1BB3 midterm ~*Sara*~ Academics 0 10-14-2010 10:51 AM
Math 1A03 Midterm Tomorrow ShesTheMan Academics 1 10-06-2010 07:55 PM
KAJIURA or BOREHAM for bio1a03? strawbrryjam First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 08-11-2010 03:42 PM
Anthro 1A03 Midterm location? blank. Academics 5 02-17-2010 09:34 PM

BIO 1A03 Midterm (Kajiura)

Old 10-19-2011 at 10:01 PM   #1
Christ

Liked: 9 Times

BIO 1A03 Midterm (Kajiura)
I have my bio midterm tomorrow and I'm pretty freaked out cause I'm not good at memorizing too many details. Can anyone tell me what these midterms are like or your experience with them?

The format is multiple choice questions and a couple written answers.

Should I focus more on the study questions she gave us or outlines or textbook?

Thank you
Old 10-19-2011 at 10:09 PM   #2
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

My memory may not be entirely accurate but based on what I remember...

1) There was nothing that wasn't featured in one way or another in her study questions.
2) It was almost completely based on memorization, which sucked for people who weren't expecting it or aren't good at it.
3) The class teaches some pretty awesome stuff (if you enjoy biology) but does so in a way that destroys any enjoyment and then the tests destroy all residual hope for application instead of regurgitation.
4) Should be 30 multiple choice and 5-6 short answers worth 15 marks.
5) At the end of the test, you'll have been tested on about 1/10th of the concepts taught but because you don't know what she'll pick, you have to study everything.
6) Kajiura ruins the course by forcing memorization despite the fact that she says "This course will be about learning the material, not memorizing it" on the first day. Very hypocritical.

(That's just my opinion of the course. Some people might hate the material and love Kajiura, who knows. IMO though, the course with the best material in first year Life Sci is pretty much ruined by horrible teaching and testing methods.)

Last edited by RememberTwce : 10-19-2011 at 10:17 PM.

RK1337 likes this.
Old 10-19-2011 at 10:28 PM   #3
A_L3

Liked: 4 Times

Pretty much everything you need to know should be in the lecture outlines (no random textbook stuff, so don't worry about that), and if you know those and the study questions well you'll have no troubles. I completely agree that its all memorization though, and if you happen to not know the one minute detail that an entire short-answer question is based off of, well, sucks to be you (though I found Kajiura was generally pretty good for hinting what the short answers would be on).
Memorization, Y U NO let bio courses be fun?
Old 10-19-2011 at 10:35 PM   #4
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

So not all future bio profs (ie all my future profs) are not like Kaijura?
Old 10-19-2011 at 10:56 PM   #5
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
My memory may not be entirely accurate but based on what I remember...

1) There was nothing that wasn't featured in one way or another in her study questions.
2) It was almost completely based on memorization, which sucked for people who weren't expecting it or aren't good at it.
3) The class teaches some pretty awesome stuff (if you enjoy biology) but does so in a way that destroys any enjoyment and then the tests destroy all residual hope for application instead of regurgitation.
4) Should be 30 multiple choice and 5-6 short answers worth 15 marks.
5) At the end of the test, you'll have been tested on about 1/10th of the concepts taught but because you don't know what she'll pick, you have to study everything.
6) Kajiura ruins the course by forcing memorization despite the fact that she says "This course will be about learning the material, not memorizing it" on the first day. Very hypocritical.

(That's just my opinion of the course. Some people might hate the material and love Kajiura, who knows. IMO though, the course with the best material in first year Life Sci is pretty much ruined by horrible teaching and testing methods.)
Totally support this, and I came back for MOAR bio.

Check out the course reviews section - has a lot of info.

RememberTwce likes this.
Old 10-19-2011 at 11:13 PM   #6
Christ

Liked: 9 Times

Ugh this is going to suck for me then, thanks for the replies though!

Not looking forward to tomorrow..