Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIO 2B03 vs. LIFE SCI 2B03 The MACster Academics 1 06-15-2010 03:52 AM
Life Sci 2B03 vs Bio 2B03 Unknown111 Academics 2 05-31-2010 01:00 PM

Bio 2B03 / Life Sci 2B03 Textbook

Old 08-13-2010 at 12:31 PM   #1
AnthraX

Liked: 23 Times

Bio 2B03 / Life Sci 2B03 Textbook
Which edition is used for this course? There is a 6th edition which costs around $60 more than the 5th edition. The booklist available does not mention any as a required material. Does the prof recommend using the 6th ed or the 5th ed?
Old 08-13-2010 at 12:35 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraX View Post
Which edition is used for this course? There is a 6th edition which costs around $60 more than the 5th edition. The booklist available does not mention any as a required material. Does the prof recommend using the 6th ed or the 5th ed?
Last year he recommended the 6th edition. He only referenced the pictures on the slides in the 6th edition book. He could change his mind this year though. Plus you don't really need to know where the pictures are. As long as you know where the topics are located in the 5th edition, you'll be fine.

You should wait until the 1st class to find out though. My professor was Igdoura.
Old 08-13-2010 at 02:50 PM   #3
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

wouldn't buy it if i were you,
theres like 2-3 copies on hth sci reserve
Old 08-13-2010 at 02:51 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
wouldn't buy it if i were you,
theres like 2-3 copies on hth sci reserve
I agree, if you attend all the lectures you should be fine. But if you don't then you'll need the book. I couldn't stand the lectures, they weren't very interesting but the book was an easy read.
Old 08-13-2010 at 03:02 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I agree, if you attend all the lectures you should be fine. But if you don't then you'll need the book. I couldn't stand the lectures, they weren't very interesting but the book was an easy read.
I agree, I found that the textbook explained things much better than Igdoura's lectures. Unfortunately, I don't use textbooks much, and only realized this the night before the exam

I had some friends who thought his lectures were fine, though. It depends on what you think and how you learn.

Although the 6th edition is the one the prof follows, people got along fine with the 5th edition. You can probably also find people selling the 6th edition for cheaper than you'd find it at Titles--maybe not as cheap as the 5th edition, but it will still save you money
Old 08-13-2010 at 03:24 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I agree, I found that the textbook explained things much better than Igdoura's lectures. Unfortunately, I don't use textbooks much, and only realized this the night before the exam

I had some friends who thought his lectures were fine, though. It depends on what you think and how you learn.

Although the 6th edition is the one the prof follows, people got along fine with the 5th edition. You can probably also find people selling the 6th edition for cheaper than you'd find it at Titles--maybe not as cheap as the 5th edition, but it will still save you money
I would also like to add that if you know your learning style, you shouldn't generalize. Just because you generally learn better one way doesn't mean it will always be like that. I'm primarily an auditory learner but if I relied on that for this class I would have done horribly bad.
Old 08-13-2010 at 03:55 PM   #7
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

I never opened the textbook for this class. But I had Dr.Dej.
Old 08-13-2010 at 04:00 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Yeah, I can imagine. She's a great prof and it's easy to learn from her lectures. I barely used by book in Genetics, only for the tutorial stuff since it's was pretty much all self-learning.
Old 08-13-2010 at 04:06 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Dr Dej = amazing. I believe we had her notes, but without her teaching them, it just wasn't the same