Bio 2C03 Fight0 2nd Year Course Reviews 70 02-18-2017 01:01 PM
Kinesiology 2C03 KRan 2nd Year Course Reviews 5 05-05-2014 12:10 PM
Anyone take Kin 2C03 before? SandraM Academics 1 10-20-2010 09:30 AM
Anthro 2C03 moops 2nd Year Course Reviews 0 06-18-2009 10:01 PM

Bio 2c03

Old 12-15-2010 at 09:09 PM   #16
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

this is why you dont take genetics with a random prof and wait for Dr. Dej to come back from her mat leave.

pinkfish, SciMania like this.
Old 12-15-2010 at 09:29 PM   #17
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycoman View Post
this is why you dont take genetics with a random prof and wait for Dr. Dej to come back from her mat leave.
coordinating that is easier said than done

Old 12-15-2010 at 10:25 PM   #18
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

after waking up from my long nap and seeing the massive amounts of posts on avenue.. atleast i know im not alone

i gotta say,,, orgo went way smoother than this did... worst exam ive ever written
Old 12-15-2010 at 11:12 PM   #19
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

Quote:
First of all. IMO Dr. Leena Patel was a good professor. Her first test was more then fair.

Dr. Bedard on the other-hand was terrible. He would recite stuff out of journal studies and his test was more a lot more difficult.

I have had Dr. Dej on many occasions and I was in her Genetics class for next semester but due to life being unfair I had to take it this semester. Even when she did teach it last year I've heard the course ended up being bel-curved because the final was pretty bad since Ray wrote it and not Dr. Dej. Ray the IA for the course ended up adjusting marks and its been like that for the past few years.

The course itself is just horrible. Its poorly structured, the stuff we learn in not taught in a effective way and its not tested properly.

If anyone wishes to take this Biology 2C03 I would say to them, avoid it at all costs.
Old 12-15-2010 at 11:34 PM   #20
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
First of all. IMO Dr. Leena Patel was a good professor. Her first test was more then fair.

Dr. Bedard on the other-hand was terrible. He would recite stuff out of journal studies and his test was more a lot more difficult.

I have had Dr. Dej on many occasions and I was in her Genetics class for next semester but due to life being unfair I had to take it this semester. Even when she did teach it last year I've heard the course ended up being bel-curved because the final was pretty bad since Ray wrote it and not Dr. Dej. Ray the IA for the course ended up adjusting marks and its been like that for the past few years.

The course itself is just horrible. Its poorly structured, the stuff we learn in not taught in a effective way and its not tested properly.

If anyone wishes to take this Biology 2C03 I would say to them, avoid it at all costs.

I think 2C03 is a requirement for anyone in Biology, so it cant be avoided by a lot of us. And this is really the first time in hearing genetics being hard when Dr. Dej taught it. Most of my friend (6) in that class ended up doing really good, but im not sure about the bell-curve thing.
Old 12-16-2010 at 01:32 AM   #21
kinetochore

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
I think 2C03 is a requirement for anyone in Biology, so it cant be avoided by a lot of us. And this is really the first time in hearing genetics being hard when Dr. Dej taught it. Most of my friend (6) in that class ended up doing really good, but im not sure about the bell-curve thing.
I'll back up the claim. I took genetics with Dej last year - she was an awesome prof, tests/tutorials were easy enough, but the exam was the second most difficult I have written in my academic career (first was the exam for orgo II). It was ~145 marks. I was writing it for the full three hours, no time to read over any answers. Still it was a fair exam, just a long/hard one. I think Ray may have curved my class's exam results.
Old 12-16-2010 at 01:48 AM   #22
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

The class was also extremely easy with Dr. Dudley, who doesn't have a reputation of being a good professor (I thought she was alright, I'm in the minority though). I'll be honest, I really thought it was just the material that was easy. Either you guys learned much different stuff than us, or it was tested much differently...

Also, there is never bell curving at Mac. They will raise everyone's marks by dropping questions, but they will not bell curve. That's something completely different.
Old 12-16-2010 at 08:44 AM   #23
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I think we DID learn a lot of different stuff. In the second half most of the lectures contained 2009 and 2010 sources (the textbook is like 07, or something) and basically every lecture we had a "this isn't cover well in the textbook" or "the textbook is wrong here/outdated"...so for the whole second half, a lot of the textbook was null.

A lot of this new stuff was explained with a diagram or a few lines of text. If we wanted to learn more we basically had to fight through primary literature that was far above us. Add this to the fact that extremely specific details were test and, well, Avenue speaks for itself.
Old 12-16-2010 at 09:24 AM   #24
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post

I can almost guarantee there was no sort of bell-curving in last year's 2C03 with Dr. Dej. Yes the exam may have been difficult but that's probably just because class averages on the midterms and tutorials were so high. My mark was right on par with what I had expected, taking into consideration the difficulty of the exam. So if there was bell-curving, as you say, it was insignificant. In any case, this course is not poorly structured when Dr. Dej teaches it and it is actually very interesting, useful and applicable. When you get new profs who don't have experience teaching it, then I can see it being difficult.
Old 12-16-2010 at 09:50 AM   #25
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

They will look at the class average at the end of all this and adjust if necessary. They won't make everyone fail or get a D. Quit stressing so much.
Old 12-16-2010 at 12:39 PM   #26
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

I love how Patel is attempting to validate her question choices/the test overall by posting that 'most of us probably did well than we expected'.

LOL, CAN'T SAY I TOLD YOU GUYS SO, NOTHING WILL BE DONE!

Old 12-16-2010 at 04:52 PM   #27
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
I love how Patel is attempting to validate her question choices/the test overall by posting that 'most of us probably did well than we expected'.

LOL, CAN'T SAY I TOLD YOU GUYS SO, NOTHING WILL BE DONE!
"Sebastian - your comments and posts are completely out of line and uncalled for on this discussion board."

LOL...

Alchemist11, Rakim like this.
Old 12-16-2010 at 05:11 PM   #28
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
"Sebastian - your comments and posts are completely out of line and uncalled for on this discussion board."

LOL...
lolol

someone please screenshot

I love student anger
Old 12-16-2010 at 05:16 PM   #29
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
lolol

someone please screenshot

I love student anger
That's not student anger, that's professor anger.

LOL

Old 12-16-2010 at 05:19 PM   #30
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I wanna view the a2l discussion board for this course badly, hahaha

Rakim likes this.