MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Kinesiology 1G03 arathbon 1st Year Course Reviews 2 09-12-2011 09:43 PM
Kinesiology over Science? jamiebenyovi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 05-12-2010 07:06 PM
Kinesiology hello395 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-17-2008 05:02 PM
kinesiology shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-26-2008 05:14 PM

Kinesiology 2C03

Kinesiology 2C03
Neuromuscular Exercise Physiology
Published by KRan
07-20-2010
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
90%90%90%
Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 88%
Kinesiology 2C03

I took this course in Fall 2009 with Dr. Hicks.

Course Breakdown:
Midterm: 35% (35 MC)
Exam: 50% (50 MC, not cumulative)
Labs: 15%

Topic Outline:
1. Muscle physiology (only topic on midterm, but it’s a huge section)
2. Neural control of muscle contraction
3. Neuromuscular fatigue
4. Strength, power and speed performance
5. Exercise-induced muscle damage and soreness

Instead of a textbook, we had a 300-page courseware package with all the notes (we didn’t get through about 40 pages). It was helpful because the course has a lot of graphs (study results).

Labs:
1. Effect of velocity on peak torque and power of maximal concentric and eccentric actions
2. Enhancement of concentric action by prior eccentric action (stretch-shortening cycle potentiation)
3. Effect of muscle length on passive and active force
4. Fatiguability and fibre type composition of human skeletal muscle

Labs were scheduled for 2 hours, but only took 30-45 min. Volunteers are tested, and the write up consisted of results and 4-5 knowledge/application questions. Most of the answers could be found in the courseware package. Lab reports were due at the beginning of the next lab, usually 2 weeks later.

I LOVED this course – definitely my favourite of the year and the material was really interesting. Dr. Hicks was sometimes hard to hear, but she’s really good at explaining and clarifying material. Before the midterm and exam we had a review class where she would go over slides and graphs that people had trouble with. Once in a while she would show a video to emphasize the real life applications of what we were learning.

morgan, sanju all say thanks to KRan for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Kinesiology 2C03!

Old 07-30-2011 at 05:56 PM   #2
Chrys742

Liked: 0 Times
Is this course only for kin students or can any1 take it?
Old 07-30-2011 at 06:38 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrys742 View Post
Is this course only for kin students or can any1 take it?
From the course calendar:
Prerequisite(s):
KINESIOL 1A03 and 1AA3 (or 1A06) and registration in Level II of a Kinesiology program; or both KINESIOL 1Y03 and 1YY3, or BIOLOGY 2A03, and registration in Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization)

So you have to be either in Kin or in Bio (Physio spec.) to take it.
Old 09-13-2011 at 11:12 AM   #4
mannp6

my favourite class!! ever! so goood.

Old 06-03-2013 at 02:53 PM   #5
peanuts

Liked: 1 Time
Dr. Hicks is teaching it this year.
Can anyone comment about the iclicker quizzes? I heard she's planning to do weekly in-class ones.
Old 05-05-2014 at 12:10 PM   #6
Farky

If anyone wants to buy the 2013/2014 course pack message me

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search