MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kinesiology 2CC3 KRan 2nd Year Course Reviews 6 05-05-2014 12:11 PM
Kinesiology I Question blue15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-13-2009 05:56 PM
kinesiology shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-26-2008 05:14 PM
kinesiology 1Y03 Pawan Academics 6 09-04-2007 12:21 AM

Kinesiology

Old 07-04-2008 at 12:28 AM   #1
hello395

Kinesiology
There are two Kinesiology courses that life sci students can take - Kinesiol 1YO3 and Kinesiol 1YY3. Are these both first year electives? And would you recommend taking 1Y03 in term 1 and 1YY3 in term 2, or is it okay to take 1YY3 in 2nd year? I don't know if I should take both in my first year or not (and if I do take both in first year, would that add a lot to my course load? I mean, are these courses very intense?). By the way, can anyone give me a very very brief overview of what Kinesiol 1Y03 and/or 1YY3 courses are like? How are the labs for these courses? Also, do the profs or TA's take attendence/give marks for attending the tutorials for these courses?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-04-2008 at 03:47 PM   #2
hello395

no one?
Old 07-06-2008 at 03:39 PM   #3
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Both Kinesiology 1Y03 and 1YY3 are first-year courses. I don't think it really matters whether you take both these courses all in one year or separately because the professors do start from scratch with the material that is supposed to be covered in Term 2. However, if you have the space for both electives in first year, I would suggest taking both these courses consecutively as some of the material may overlap or they simply link together really well (so you can understand and remember the concepts more easily). It just helps instead of having a year gap in between both.

There was another first-year student who asked about these two courses, so I'm just gonna copy and paste what I had posted earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eycc11 View Post
Hey Sohaib, I just finished my first year and I did take both these courses as it was a requirement for Medical Radiation Sciences.

I personally enjoyed both these courses because it was pretty interesting. We went through most of the human body systems, in detail kind of, but we didn't really go through every single detail in the textbook. The professor(s) would only cover what they think we should know, but that was still a huge amount of material.

Although a lot was covered and a lot of 'memorization' was required, we had weekly quizzes on Fridays that tested us on everything that was covered during the 2 lectures that week. So it wasn't cumulative. It helped me keep up with all the material -- good for the final exam!

Then there's biweekly labs. When you don't have a lab, you'll have your tutorial. Attendance is not mandatory for the tutorials, but it is for the labs. Before each lab, you'll have to complete a Lab Quiz that prepares you for it and that'll be graded. You receive the Lab Quiz mark ONLY if you show up to your lab! The labs were pretty interesting and no lab reports have to be done! Just show up to get your 'lab' (QUIZ!) mark! =) There's cadavers you can observe, dissections, real human specimens, etc. It was the MOST interesting part of both these courses!

The exam, unlike many other courses, is worth a total of 60%, yes, even with all those weekly quizzes and lab quizzes! But it wasn't bad because like anything else, if you find it interesting, you enjoy it and you put in the effort then you'll do perfectly fine.

Oh yeah, and if you do happen to take these two courses and you've got Dr. Parise as your prof, you'll looove it! He's an awesome prof =)
Hope this helps!

says thanks to eycc11 for this post.
Old 08-17-2008 at 12:13 PM   #4
hello395

I was wondering if the weekly quizzes on Fridays have to be completed in class or online? I mean, do we do the kin 1y03 quizzes online from our own computer? Because on my schedule, I have only 1 math tutorial and 1 kin tutorial on friday, and I was thinking that if I change my math tutorial to another day, then I would only have 1 class on Friday, that too every other week. And if my kin tutorial is every other week then perhaps I could come home early on thursday every other week when I don't have my kin tutorial. I was hoping to make any changes to my schedule as soon as I can, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 08-17-2008 at 01:09 PM   #5
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

The quizzes on Friday, if the same as Kin 1A03/kin 1AA3 are done in a computer lab. When I did them, it was always every other week in the basement of KTH. You have to go there and sign in, so you won't be able to skip it.

I applied to be a Teacher assistant for kin 1A03/1AA3/1Y03/1YY3 this year. The courses are pretty much the same. I'm actually not sure if they are exactly the same. The courses have a lot of work. A lot of it is review from high school exercise science. When I was in the class, we had to know all of the origins, insertions, names, joints that are crossed, and movements each muscle makes. As well as every single bump or special areas on each bone. The course director told me in my interview that the course is going to be changed for this year. You will get it much easier and won't have to know all of the origins and insertions which killed me and my classmates. The labs will be much more hands on as well. Overall, it's going to take a lot of studying and work, but it's very interesting. Also, both terms are basically continuations of each other so you'd want to take one right after the other. Hope that helps.

says thanks to mitch for this post.
Old 08-17-2008 at 01:25 PM   #6
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Kinesiology 1A03 is the same as 1Y03. Same thing with 1AA3/1YY3. The course codes are different, I believe, just to distinguish between those in the Kinesiology program and those who aren't.

I just took first-year Kin and we had weekly quizzes every Friday. The quizzes were always out of 15, but it doesn't necessarily mean 15 questions because there was also mix-and-match sometimes that was worth 2 marks.

Everyone is assigned to an hour of 'T' (for 'Test') every Friday, but the quizzes take place every 20 minutes. So if you're registered in '9:30 - 10:20 am', then you're either writing your quiz between 9:30 to 9:50, 9:50 to 10:10 or 10:10 to 10:30 depending on which 'T' you're assigned to. I believe T01 would be from 8:30 - 8:50, T02 is 8:50 - 9:10, etc.

So if you really want, you can switch your math tutorial, and just write the Kin quiz earlier, so you can head home super early every Friday! =)

says thanks to eycc11 for this post.
Old 08-17-2008 at 04:37 PM   #7
hello395

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
The quizzes on Friday, if the same as Kin 1A03/kin 1AA3 are done in a computer lab. When I did them, it was always every other week in the basement of KTH. You have to go there and sign in, so you won't be able to skip it.

I applied to be a Teacher assistant for kin 1A03/1AA3/1Y03/1YY3 this year. The courses are pretty much the same. I'm actually not sure if they are exactly the same. The courses have a lot of work. A lot of it is review from high school exercise science. When I was in the class, we had to know all of the origins, insertions, names, joints that are crossed, and movements each muscle makes. As well as every single bump or special areas on each bone. The course director told me in my interview that the course is going to be changed for this year. You will get it much easier and won't have to know all of the origins and insertions which killed me and my classmates. The labs will be much more hands on as well. Overall, it's going to take a lot of studying and work, but it's very interesting. Also, both terms are basically continuations of each other so you'd want to take one right after the other. Hope that helps.
Now I'm a bit worried about the course load. I'm going into first year life sci and I wanted to know if this course will be taking up a lot of my time. I've heard that there are no lab writeups which helps quite a lot, but did you find that having quizzes every week was a bit too much to handle, considering that the majority of life sci students are already taking heavy courses like chem, bio, physics, math, etc? Would you say that this course is fairly easier/harder than the other science courses such as physics, chem, math, and bio? And is the workload in this kin course more or less than these science courses? Because after what you mentioned about this course covering a lot of material, I'm sort of reconsidering kin 1y03 as my elective.

Also, I haven't taken high school exercise science, so would you still recommend this course? Would it be harder for me to understand the concepts being taught (i.e. I don't want to walk into this class and not have any idea about what the prof is teaching since I haven't taken exercise science).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by hello395 : 08-17-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2008 at 05:02 PM   #8
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

Ok. Let me start by saying that I highly recommend this course. It's very interesting and is very applicable to life unlike other courses like first year chem and math. Not saying those are bad courses by any means though.

I'm a science student, so I took all those science courses such as bio, chem, math, and so on, with the sole exception of physics. Kin 1Y03 is a lot of work, and it's on par with the amount of material from those other courses. The labs are much easier and more interesting than most other courses though. It's hard to compare one program to another because they're so different. Some people find math calculations easier whereas some people find memorizing parts of the body easier. It's all subjective.

The quizzes every other week were quite a bit of studying out of my days if I remember correctly. However, as I pointed out before, my class had to know all of the origins and insertions and memorize crazy amounts of details. I think it will be easier this year, but I am not certain. I did find studying for one quiz every two weeks was a bit annoying as there was a lot of material covered. So I had to study for each quiz just as long as I would study for a normal midterm, even though they were worth much less. However, the quizzes themselves were not too difficult. I believe the averages ranged around 12-14 out of 15 each time. So if you studied, you would usually do well. I'm not sure of the format of the quizzes this year, but I think they were multiple choice, true and false and around 1 fill in the blank.

If you haven't taken high school exercise science, I still would recommend this course. Every course in first year, starts off slowly recovering high school material. I remember thinking that most of the material in my first year, first term courses I already knew. If you don't know it already, they teach it slowly on purpose so you will learn from scratch. This is why in my second year biomechanics course, they taught around grade 9 physics so that people that didn't take physics before would know how to do it.

Overall, it's not a bird course, but it's highly interesting and you would walk out with greater knowledge of the human body. It's the main reason I chose kin over biology as a major, because I find anatomy and physiology much more interesting than what's going on way inside the body at the cellular and molecular level. Although, they are interesting as well. If you study you will do well, it's just like any other science course.

sana1504 all say thanks to mitch for this post.