MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Kin 2CC3 Fight0 Academics 0 06-22-2010 08:14 PM
Kin 2C03/2CC3 Fight0 Academics 4 07-16-2009 08:05 AM
KIN 2CC3 labs litadumas Academics 2 06-23-2009 10:14 PM
CMST 2CC3: Any tips on passing this course? ms. mandazi Academics 3 01-20-2009 05:16 PM
kinesiology shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-26-2008 05:14 PM

Kinesiology 2CC3

Kinesiology 2CC3
Metabolic and Cardiorespiratory Exercise Physiology
Published by KRan
07-20-2010
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 80%
Kinesiology 2CC3

I took this course with Dr. Howarth in Winter 2010.

Course Breakdown:
First term test: 25%
Second term test: 25%
Exam: 40% (cumulative)
Labs: 10%

Tests and exams were a combination of multiple choice and short answer.

Topic Outline:
1. Metabolism and Energy Provision (energy production, oxidative and non-oxidative energy provision during exercise, metabolic training principles and adaptations)
2. Cardiovascular Function and Regulation in Exercise (CV dynamics, response to exercise, adaptations to training)
3. Respiratory Function and Regulation in Exercise (gas exchange and transport, exercise response and training adaptations)

Labs:
1. Wingate Bike Test
2. Determination of Maximal Oxygen Uptake (VO2 max test)
3. Cardiorespiratory Response to Exercise
4. Astrand Test for Estimating Maximal Oxygen Uptake

The labs were very similar to KIN 2C03. They took 45 min-1 hour, and lab reports were due at the beginning of the next lab. Again, volunteers complete the tests, and then there are 2-3 comprehension questions. I volunteered for the VO2 max lab, so I learned my VO2 max for free! (It costs $130 to get tested at the gym.)

I love exercise physiology, so I found this course very interesting. Dr. Howarth has a very loud voice that sort of commands your attention (we were in MDCL 1105 and she didn’t use a mike). Her tests included a lot of “reasonable values” for different concepts, so you had to memorize a lot of numbers and enzymes. The course goes into more detail of cellular respiration than you learn in high school biology, but not as much as biochem (according to Dr. Howarth, who did her undergrad in Biochem).

morgan says thanks to KRan for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Kinesiology 2CC3!

Old 08-17-2010 at 01:41 AM   #2
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times
I also took this course with Dr. Howarth in Winter 2010

She was a great prof for this course, with her background in biochem, she really knew what she was talking about, and her LOUD voice made it very hard to NOT pay attention. Her " baby brain" moments were also pretty funny ( she was pregnanat during the term and would blame slip ups on her baby brain )

Unfortunately those taking this course next year will not be able to enjoy the teachings of dr. Howarth because she is away on maternity leave for her baby GIRL!Ave ry.. born in May , just after the course ended.

Its a really great course, but despite how highly interested you are in the content.. YOU MUST STUDY.

Her tests were very fair, incorporating material that was covered most extensively in greater amounts than that which was just touched upon, with some tricks along the way.

some tips :
MEMORIZE ALL PATHWAYS
KNOW CALCULATIONS
KNOW WHAT UNITS CALCULATIONS ARE IN
MEMORIZE TYPICAL VALUES!!*** FOR BOTH TRAINED AND UNTRAINED PEOPLE!

plus side to this course.. NO textbook.. and the custom coursewear was NOT expensive, especially if you consider all the ink and paper you saved.

morgan says thanks to guest_295 for this post.
Old 05-05-2011 at 11:31 AM   #3
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times
Took this course in Winter 2011!
It was one of my favourite courses of second year!

Pros
Interesting
Easy Lab Write Ups
Courseware has all the lecture slides printed out (courseware is only $40!)
Howarth repeats things a lot, so it sticks in your brain and she recaps and reviews each class
Howarth was a great prof!

Cons
Mid-terms weigh 25% each, so doing bad on one hurts your mark a lot
(In class mid-terms)
No supplementary textbook, so going to class is vital
Everything she says is testable
Taking good notes is essential in this class

The course was broken down into Metabolism and Cardiovascular sections.
The Metabolism section was pretty much all biochemistry.

Some topics we covered
Metabolism
-Phosphagen System
-Glycolysis
-Oxidative Metabolism
-How many ATP you make from Glycolysis, Kreb's cycle, PDH, oxidative metabolism (NADH/FAHDH2)
-Lipid Metabolism
-Beta Oxidation
-How exercise intensity affects which fuels are used
-RER
-V02max
-LT
-Hormones in exercise (insulin/glucagon/epinephrine/norephinephrine)

CV
-Q
-EDV
-HRmax
-chronotropic/ionotropic
-PSNS/SNS
-CO during exercise
-Fick Equation
-MAP
-Ventilation
-P02 and PC02 values in the body
-Hb
-ODC

Like people before said, you have to know reasonable values for V02max, HR, C0 etc in trained vs. untrained and male vs. female.

Overall this course was great! Would highly recommend it!
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:03 PM   #4
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times
Took this course winter of 2011.

2CC3 is mandatory course for Kin students, and is offered to the biology physiology specialization as well (so I'm writing this for the 20 or so people on the fence about this course).

The material in this course was interesting but nothing new to anyone who takes the physiology courses in Bio, while there were a few things specific to athletic training.

I would argue that attendance to this course is not necessary as I found the lecture notes to be sufficient for the testing in the course and I was able to do fine while attending ~10% of the classes and borrowing the odd missing value from classmates. From the classes I went to however, Dr. Howarth was a fine prof and very straightforward with regard to her expectations. The midterms and exams were all very easy and had high averages.

Labs were fairly pointless to me as I have no further interest in kin-related fields, but were free marks as the TA's spoon-fed answers to the class.

Overall, a very easy course with minimal work required to do well.

Old 08-24-2011 at 11:23 AM   #5
Naikh2

Liked: 0 Times
I agree with that. As a kinesiology student this class was very interesting to me. Labs were very simple with helpful T.As and Dr. Howarth was also always willing to answer any questions. She made sure that the class understood and wanted everyone the succeed.
Old 09-12-2011 at 09:40 PM   #6
danscroog

Good course overall...just don't let the first midterm fool you...the 2nd is much more in depth...
Old 05-05-2014 at 12:11 PM   #7
Farky

If anyone wants to buy the 2013/2014 course pack message me

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search