MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio 2EE3 dds j Academics 9 09-07-2010 08:46 AM
life sci 2ee3 and biochem 2ee3 jangh2 Academics 16 06-25-2009 12:19 PM
Orgo 20B3 and 2OA3, and biochem 2EE3, and bio 2EE3 rits Academics 1 08-24-2008 03:44 PM

Bio 2EE3 or Bio 2D03

Old 08-14-2009 at 09:34 AM   #1
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

Bio 2EE3 or Bio 2D03
Hi,

I am in a slight dilemma: I can't decide between taking Bio 2D03 and Bio 2EE3. I am very interested in 2D03, however, it doesn't lead to any upper year courses that I am interested in. Bio 2EE3 on the other hand does lead to some upper year courses that I might consider, but I am scared about the memory work and I am not interested in it right now at first glance. And I am not sure if I can handle it while taking O-chem and genetics during first term.

So I was wondering if once you get into the course (bio 2EE3) is it at all interesting? I looked at the course outline and nothing really appeals to me. Should I take it in 3rd year or right now?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:43 AM   #2
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

2EE3 isn't that intersting, there was some cool things about organs at the end but Zhorov's teaching and the textbook pretty much just led to me skipping class and not reading the textbook.

It's not a lot of work but if you aren't good at memorizing, I'd avoid it because that's all the course is.

I was in 2d03 for a little while and It was pretty cool, my friends who finished the course liked the labs too. If you're interested in 2D03 I don't see why you wouldn't be interested in Plant Physiology (3B03)
Old 08-14-2009 at 10:00 AM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

^ I think it was Biochem 2EE3 that Zhorov teaches? I thought Bio 2EE3 was taught by Xu? I've heard that you need to read a lot of the text for the exam and Xu does test on small textbook details.

Bio 2D03, I've heard was interesting.

Taking genetics and organic chemistry isn't that bad. If you're interested in it, take bio 2ee3. Especially if you're considering any upper year courses.

R.L. says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 10:06 AM   #4
anubhagat
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

bio 2ee3 was actually very interesting! the course didnt sound very interesting at first but it really is! the prof isnt really bad at all, he moved at a very fast pace last year covering a chapter a day (LONG chapters), that being said, last year there were 2 classes a week, this year there are 3, which may slow the pace down. it is a little bit of memory work but you do really get into it. personally if i had the choice, i would go with 2ee3, especially because, like you said, there's alot more you can do with 2ee3 over 2d03 in terms of upper year courses.

good luck!!

R.L. says thanks to anubhagat for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 10:07 AM   #5
anubhagat
Account Disabled by User

it is true that he tests VERY random details but really if you keep up with the readings and get a general idea of the textbook, you'll be fine.
Old 08-14-2009 at 10:19 AM   #6
Fight0
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
^ I think it was Biochem 2EE3 that Zhorov teaches? I thought Bio 2EE3 was taught by Xu? I've heard that you need to read a lot of the text for the exam and Xu does test on small textbook details.

Bio 2D03, I've heard was interesting.

Taking genetics and organic chemistry isn't that bad. If you're interested in it, take bio 2ee3. Especially if you're considering any upper year courses.
Yeah, sorry about that. Brain Fart :S

Bio 2EE3 was good for me, I enjoyed it and you get to learn a lot of cool stuff about bacteria, viruses and prions. Most people did really bad in the course however, but if you can study in advance you'll do fine.

Oh yeah, Xu also has a tendency to test stuff he doesn't teach, but complaining got us a long way

Last edited by Fight0 : 08-14-2009 at 10:21 AM.

R.L. says thanks to Fight0 for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 10:40 AM   #7
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhagat View Post
bio 2ee3 was actually very interesting! the course didnt sound very interesting at first but it really is! the prof isnt really bad at all, he moved at a very fast pace last year covering a chapter a day (LONG chapters), that being said, last year there were 2 classes a week, this year there are 3, which may slow the pace down. it is a little bit of memory work but you do really get into it. personally if i had the choice, i would go with 2ee3, especially because, like you said, there's alot more you can do with 2ee3 over 2d03 in terms of upper year courses.

good luck!!

Thanks for your advice! The course looks much more appealing than it did before. But I was wondering if there are any study tips/suggestions for being successful in this course? (i.e. how to handle a chapter per class...there is only one 3 hour class per week) Is there any efficient way of taking notes and how to sift through the crap in the humongous textbook?
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:05 AM   #8
Fight0
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.L. View Post
Thanks for your advice! The course looks much more appealing than it did before. But I was wondering if there are any study tips/suggestions for being successful in this course? (i.e. how to handle a chapter per class...there is only one 3 hour class per week) Is there any efficient way of taking notes and how to sift through the crap in the humongous textbook?
Don't leave reading the textbook until the day before the midterm/exam. That may sound obvious, but there is a lot to cover. You're most likely going to have to at least skim 80% of the 1300pg textbook to cover everything he will test.
That being said, he pretty much just teaches what's in the text, so if you can read what he covers in class you'll be fine.
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:07 AM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
Don't leave reading the textbook until the day before the midterm/exam. That may sound obvious, but there is a lot to cover. You're most likely going to have to at least skim 80% of the 1300pg textbook to cover everything he will test.
That being said, he pretty much just teaches what's in the text, so if you can read what he covers in class you'll be fine.
1300pages?! *faints*
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:08 AM   #10
anubhagat
Account Disabled by User

what i found really helped me succeed was recording the lectures. it is a lot of work to sit there and listen to them again b/c he tends to talk fast and you may think its useless crap but it really helps you to write down the nitty gritty details from lecture...

other than that, i spent a lot of time reading the textbook and taking detailed notes on what i thought was "important" for the midterm...IT DID NOT WORK!

for the final i had fallen so behind that trying that approach was out of the question so instead, i spent 3 days just reading the textbook, skimming but going through everything....and that worked like a charm

he tends to test interesting little facts from the textbook so it would be well worth your while to read the textbook, and i found it was almost more worth it to read/review the textbook a few days prior to the exam just because those little facts tend to stick with you.

and expect to be tested on things not presented in lecture. for the midterm, they were SUPER strict about the short answer questions, and i really dont have any advice about how to deal with that...

the final was a lot better, i think they were much more lenient.

it really is possible to do well...labs are also super easy and actually VERY fun, you'll learn a lot.

bigmac says thanks to anubhagat for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:18 AM   #11
Fight0
Elite Member

Yeah for SA be very thorough with your answers. Provide as much information as possible in your answers.