MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linguist 2L03/Anthro 2L03 pmax 2nd Year Course Reviews 6 09-26-2011 10:51 AM
ChemBio 2L03 nerual 2nd Year Course Reviews 1 04-30-2011 01:16 PM
LINGUIST 2L03 Full! tiger Academics 4 08-17-2010 03:26 PM
English 2L03 - Shakespeare Selected Plays sandani.h Academics 0 06-12-2010 11:44 AM
biology 2l03 amandae Academics 8 06-07-2010 12:40 AM

Bio 2l03

Old 07-12-2010 at 10:48 PM   #1
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Bio 2l03
does anyone have any additional information on this course apart from what is in the calendar?. i did not see a review on here,,, has anyone taken it before?

Last edited by giftedchick : 07-12-2010 at 10:55 PM.

meddling says thanks to giftedchick for this post.
Old 07-12-2010 at 10:49 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
does anyone have any additional information on this course apart from what is in the academic calendar?. i did not see a review on here,,, has anyone taken it before?
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ogy-28713.html

meddling says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-12-2010 at 10:59 PM   #3
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

thank you.. but i was also looking for info such as:
-the prof's lecture style
-difficulty
-tests/assignments format
Old 07-13-2010 at 12:30 AM   #4
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
thank you.. but i was also looking for info such as:
-the prof's lecture style
-difficulty
-tests/assignments format
I took this course an thoroughly enjoyed it. Its a different style of learning, not the usual go to lecture and do a lab thats vaguely related to material. This was truly a lab oriented course that provided insights into all disciplines of biology and research methods. The prof, Dr. Jacobs is very different from first year, if you had him I am not sure. The lectures were very laid back, there is no real need to take notes, just absorb and learn (Nothing he said was directly tested). He talks about the lab and how its done for one lecture of the week, while the other lecture of the week is talk on research methodologies ( so no notes just listen and learn).

Difficulty wise, I found it pretty easy, but the workload is not quite heavy, but above average. This is due to the labs being every week and the prep/prelab/post labs that were needed. The assignments were not difficult, but we had to write 2 letters to nature which were reasonably time consuming and tediious.

NO MIDTERM, just lots of lab related stuffs. The exam was largely take home with a ridiculously short portion where we came down to a room during exam time and wrote(most ppl finished this part in 30mins). The take home was extensive, but doable with a group of classmates or a couple hours alone in the library. Also the in class portion of the exam was open book, so what a lot of people did was print out all the lecture notes he posted and brought them in, although they were not needed at all.

So this course was not too difficult but at the same time interesting. NOW when I took it in 2009 fall it was the courses first time running. So we were the "test" subjects and things were unusually easy for us (some things (experiments) didnt work out so marks were easier to get). That being said, the course is going to be changed so expect differences in difficulty. However I dont expect it to get too hard, very manageable course for a 2nd year student. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, gives a good insight into various areas of biology, and introduces students to a research career.

epikness, meddling all say thanks to Scrub for this post.