Bio 3U03 help? hans23 Academics 15 08-11-2010 04:54 PM
Bio 3U03/3UU3 dj_money Academics 0 06-23-2008 08:43 AM

Bio 3u03

Bio 3u03
Published by parachb
09-02-2010
Published by

Bio 3u03

This course was taught by Professor LeMoine who I believe is no longer at Mac. This course was very content heavy and required a lot of effort in order to achieve a good grade. The labs are heavy, with a lot of postwork needed. There was a lot of formal labs and some short lab quizzes as well as a mid term and a final exam.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Bio 3u03!

Old 12-24-2010 at 09:36 AM   #2
H.L.

Liked: 2 Times
Overall
This course builds on the concepts covered in 2A03 (cardiovasculature, respiratory, and renal systems), therefore a lot of the material is a repeat however with more detail. That is, it can be dry at times. The course seemed all over the place, it definitely needs restructuring.

Professor
This year, the first part of the course was taught by Dr. Nurse and the second by Dr. Buttigieg-both excellent profs.

Evaluations
There is one 25% midterm comprising of short answers and multiple choice. It was written during class, wich was way too little time. This course is heavier than your average course possibly due to the labs. The final is worth 40% and is similar to the midterm.

Labs
They are worth 35% and comprise of 3 formal lab reports (which are very time consuming), lab quizzes, a lab exam, and a seminar. The labs themselves are very interesting, you get to do a frog dissection to study the effects of hormones on the heart.
Old 06-28-2011 at 10:06 PM   #3
monu1388

Liked: 1 Time
Course;
I thought this was a great course, definitely worth taking. However, like others have said, it requires effort to get a good grade. I personally got a 11, and put in a moderate amount of effort.

Tests and Labs
- Dr. nurse taught the first half of the course and his tests are harder then the ones he had in 2a03, mostly 2 essay questions and some multiple choice. I would recommend that you write as much information as possible and be highly detailed in your response when answering the questions. I was told by my TA that I had one of the highest grades on the test, and that was because I didn't give general or vague answers to simple questions.

-Dr. Buttigieg, is also a very good prof, I found his questions on the final were easier, only because if you went to class you could predict what he would ask. He was a nice prof and give hints in class towards the kinds of questions you were going to get, for many he even asked the question in class. So, i would recommend not missing class, or u likely will do bad on his essay questions because they are quite difficult otherwise.

Labs were fun, but required a lot of work. With that said, I did not get over a 90 on any of the labs even though i spent a lot of time, and saw my TA on many occasions. However, i also did not get below 80, so there not to bad.

there is also a lab test worth 10 percent, it was very easy. The class average was like 77 percent for it.

Personally i would recommend the course, and feel that it is not hard to get a high mark, it just requires effort.

Last edited by monu1388 : 06-28-2011 at 10:09 PM.

BlueWave, traveler10 all say thanks to monu1388 for this post.
Old 09-10-2011 at 07:05 PM   #4
hohoangv

Liked: 0 Times
I took this course 2 years ago. VERY INTERESTING but the labs are KILLER.

the material is just an indepth look at bio2a03, the labs are fun it's just the write up...or was it my TA who gave 69% as the highest mark in the entire lab...

its worth taking for sure, you learn lots and its interesting. the midterm and exam wasn't too hard and the text book was GREAT.

Old 03-04-2013 at 05:21 PM   #5
Whitejl77

Bio 3UU3
I loved Bio 2B03, but this course was brutal. The second half of the course was taught by a professor that was horrible, and the midterms were marked unfairly. And the Labs were so much work, with such a low average. Overall I would suggest if you dont have to take this course, avoid it!
Old 06-10-2014 at 10:25 PM   #6
beebee2

Liked: 4 Times
Can someone post a recent review, it'll be really appreciated!
Old 08-28-2014 at 01:33 PM   #7
Drake

highly recommend this course. did really well. great prof and tests were straight forward
Old 12-24-2014 at 05:04 PM   #8
shaf

I just finished Bio 3U03 with Dr. Kunze and Dr. Nurse (2014-1st Semester). I really enjoyed the course. I am a physiology major and this course was directly related to my interest. We covered the cardiovascular system and a little bit of renal acid-base homeostasis with Dr. Kunze. Dr. Kunze is the type of lecturer where he talks and the students listen and take notes. It was initially a little difficult to catch every word with his australian accent, and he does cover a lot of material in a lecture. However, his midterm was not that difficult as long as you understood and studied his slides extensively and he was more than happy to help after class. Dr. Nurse is a good lecturer, and he goes at a slow, steady space and his slides are excellent. However he does put a lot of students to sleep with his voice. His exam was a little harder with written questions but again not impossible.

The hardest part of the course to me was the workload due to the lab every week. There are a lot more formal lab reports than Bio 2A03 and the TAs are instructed to mark strict. However except one lab report, I got 85+ for the lab reports. You have to form a good connection with your TA to know what exactly they want, and then give time to your report to make sure you cover all the bases. The labs themselves are fun, especially the frog lab, totally felt like a surgeon doing that lab lol.

Overall, the course content made this course interesting. The workload is heavy esp due to the lab reports. However if you study hard and manage you time well, this is a 11 and possibly 12-able course.
Old 12-27-2014 at 08:49 PM   #9
rinfey

Course Review Fall 2014
The course for this year was broken down as follows with Dr. W. Kunze and Dr. C.A. Nurse.
Labs - Total of 35%
-Seminar: Total of 4%
-2 Quizzes: 2% each
-4 Formal Labs (3%, 5%, 6% and 6%)
-Lab Exam: 7%

Midterm: 30% and Final: 35%

Content-wise, the course was interesting. With Kunze, you learn about the math behind the cardiovascular system, such as flow-pressure relationships and go in detail about how the body responds to exercise, or stress via the cardiovascular system. The autonomic nervous system part is review if you took Kin 1Y03/2Y03, but definitely managable. Nurse's content was more the respiratory system and renal function and was a review of the Kin 1YY3/2YY3 and Bio 2A03 if you took them in the past.

The labs were incredibly heavy, ranging in length from 12-18 pages and you had to do them essentially every other week. The lab outlines were pretty vague, and the discussions were difficult to write since the questions tended to jump all over the place.

Dr. Kunze was a good professor, he was very clear and had good notes. He could be confusing at times, but it was easy to follow along for the most part. The midterm was fair, however, it was easy to get thrown off by the wording unless you memorized Kunze's lecture slides. There were some ambiguous details that were one small bullet point on some slides, so details are important if Kunze is writing the midterm.

Dr. Nurse was an excellent professor, and his content flowed more nicely than Dr. Kunze's. The exam was quite fair and it was very possible to do well if you understood concepts more than memorizing small details.

Overall, a manageable course, but definitely workload heavy, and if you plan to take it in third year with Biochem 3G03's midterms every other week, it could definitely get tough at times. Definitely requires effort to double digit the course. The profs are very open to coming in for extra help, so definitely seek clarification when needed!!! As for the textbook, a lot of what you need to know is already taken from it, so it's useful if you need some clarification at times, however it was too detailed for the scope of the course and tended to confuse you sometimes if you read too much into something.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search