Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
preparing for med school/ pharm school bkkk_5 Academics 58 07-22-2011 04:50 PM

Bio Pharm

Old 02-04-2012 at 04:00 PM   #1
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Bio Pharm
Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone from MI is in the biology/pharmacology program atm. I'm thinking of applying, and just wanted some feedback on what others thought about it .
Old 02-04-2012 at 04:24 PM   #2
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

Hi! I'm in my fifth and final year of Biopharm, and I know that there are a few more of us kicking around MI

Interviewing for and accepting my offer to Biopharm was one of the BEST decisions I have ever made. Academically, the problem-based learning format of the program suits my learning style exactly - being able to pick topics that you and your peers are interested in, doing independent research, and then coming back and teaching each other is, in my opinion, the ideal way to learn a topic as complex as pharmacology. It also taught me to be a much more effective researcher and communicator, which is something that employers love.

Speaking of employers, the co-op aspect of Biopharm is also invaluable. When I graduate in April, I'll be doing so with not only an honours degree, but with experience and connections with the federal government and the pharmaceutical advertising industry. This will hopefully put me in a great position for jumpstarting my career.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask! And definitely come out to the info night this Tuesday - pre-register on OSCARplus so that we can order enough pizza!!

Ashlie, kangs6 like this.
Old 02-04-2012 at 05:45 PM   #3
Angoose
Elite Member

I am going to try and attend the info night . Was it really difficult to get into the program? I know they have very little seats, so I guess it'd be really really competitive :(.
Old 02-04-2012 at 07:45 PM   #4
Sarah13

Your admittance to the program really depends on your interview. The CA requirement is minimal - you only need a 6, and once you have that, your grades don't really come into play. Since there is so much collaborative work, I'd say that your ability to work with peers far outweighs your past academic performance. But, honestly, the best advice I can give you is to just be yourself in the interview - the interviewing team can tell the difference between when you are being genuine and when you are just telling them things that you think they want to hear.

There will be lots of current Biopharm students and instructors at the info night, so it will be a great place to talk to people who have gone through the same application process.
Old 02-04-2012 at 08:14 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I'm in the program as well and although it's a lot of work (every program really is!), it's the best decision I've ever made! Definitely apply! I think Sarah pretty much covered it about the application process.

PS- HI Sarah!

Sarah13 likes this.
Old 02-04-2012 at 08:24 PM   #6
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

Hi

I am interested in applying for this program, however, I am one course short. Can I still apply and then take the course during summer?
Old 02-04-2012 at 09:58 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple2309 View Post
Hi

I am interested in applying for this program, however, I am one course short. Can I still apply and then take the course during summer?
Yes you can. If you get accepted, your offer will say "conditional upon completion of..."

Purple2309 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 02-04-2012 at 10:48 PM   #8
Angoose
Elite Member

I am missing bio2ao3, but it isn't offered over the summer. Will I still be able to get a conditional acceptance somehow? I'd need to do physics1b03 over the summer, though. This program seems pretty awesome, but with only 20 spots it seems so unlikely that I'll get in haha.
Old 02-04-2012 at 11:28 PM   #9
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah13 View Post
Your admittance to the program really depends on your interview. The CA requirement is minimal - you only need a 6, and once you have that, your grades don't really come into play. Since there is so much collaborative work, I'd say that your ability to work with peers far outweighs your past academic performance. But, honestly, the best advice I can give you is to just be yourself in the interview - the interviewing team can tell the difference between when you are being genuine and when you are just telling them things that you think they want to hear.

There will be lots of current Biopharm students and instructors at the info night, so it will be a great place to talk to people who have gone through the same application process.
I know its a bit early to ask, but what was the interview process like? Was it a group interview or was it one on one?
Also, upon acceptance to this program, is it difficult to obtain a Co-op placement(especially if one doesn't have any previous working experiences)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-04-2012 at 11:36 PM   #10
Sarah13

The interview is with one student (i.e., you), and a panel of interviewers. As for co-op placements, the first placement is definitely the hardest to get, especially if you don't have much prior experience. Many students have lab jobs for at least their first work term. But, the intensive lab course in third year prepares you quite well for that sort of placement.

PS - Hi Sara

Purple2309 says thanks to Sarah13 for this post.
Old 02-05-2012 at 10:53 PM   #11
Ashlie

Liked: 10 Times

To Angoose...not to worry - I was in the same boat as you, about not having Bio2A03. Actually, I think there were three of us in our year without it. All we did was take the equivalent course through Athabasca University (distance ed). If you come to the info session, we can tell you more about it in person, otherwise feel free to PM me

Sarah13 likes this.
Old 02-07-2012 at 01:11 PM   #12
Ashlie

Liked: 10 Times

The info session is tonight! Even if you haven't registered on OSCARplus, swing by to hear more about the program!
Old 02-07-2012 at 02:58 PM   #13
Angoose
Elite Member

I will be coming >: O. Prepare to be bombarded with questions, Ashlie. Well, not really. I'm just really interested in the program .

Ashlie likes this.
Old 02-08-2012 at 07:19 PM   #14
Angoose
Elite Member

Does anyone know how many people apply for the program each year? Just a rough estimate would be good to know . Thankssss!
Old 02-08-2012 at 07:35 PM   #15
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I believe if you email the coordinators of the program, they should be able to provide that information for you. I hear it's a pretty cool program; best of luck!

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences