MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School Of Business (DeGroote School of Business) Chad Academics 58 09-12-2011 10:53 AM
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Non-school? andrew22 General Discussion 7 01-20-2010 01:16 AM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

preparing for med school/ pharm school

Old 04-30-2011 at 07:08 PM   #1
bkkk_5

Liked: 0 Times

preparing for med school/ pharm school
Hi i just finished my first year life sci! I'm trying to get into pharmacy school after second year, but i heard that there's only a feww percent of people that can get in on the first attemp?? should i start taking courses or reading books for PCAT now? My GPA this year is 10.5 idk if it's good enough...
Old 04-30-2011 at 07:11 PM   #2
W. Steinitz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkk_5 View Post
Hi i just finished my first year life sci! I'm trying to get into pharmacy school after second year, but i heard that there's only a feww percent of people that can get in on the first attemp?? should i start taking courses or reading books for PCAT now? My GPA this year is 10.5 idk if it's good enough...
You should go for it, what's the worst that could happen if you read them and don't get it in your first try?
Old 04-30-2011 at 07:12 PM   #3
ytpos
too poor to change this

Liked: 15 Times

Which one are you applying to? The acceptance rate for UofT this coming year is ridiculously high.
Old 04-30-2011 at 07:12 PM   #4
ytpos
too poor to change this

Lol, you waste $300... That's the worst that can happen.
Old 04-30-2011 at 08:03 PM   #5
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

good lcuk, op

Last edited by CAHopeful : 04-30-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-30-2011 at 08:09 PM   #6
bkkk_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytpos View Post
Which one are you applying to? The acceptance rate for UofT this coming year is ridiculously high.
really? do you know around what gpa do they accept? i heard that gpa only counts about 40% tho.....and i'm planning to apply both UT and waterloo, higher chances

has anyone know somebody who got in on first try? i heard that the more upper year the more preference there'd be.....
Old 04-30-2011 at 08:40 PM   #7
shurlee

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkk_5 View Post
really? do you know around what gpa do they accept? i heard that gpa only counts about 40% tho.....and i'm planning to apply both UT and waterloo, higher chances

has anyone know somebody who got in on first try? i heard that the more upper year the more preference there'd be.....
I have a friend that got accepted into UofT's Pharmacy after first year! I know, amazing right?
He told me majority of the acceptance depended on your PCAT mark. Also, was your interview and of course your marks. I think as long as you meet the required GPA, and you do extremely well on your PCAT, you should be fine.

My friend had a 10-something, but he did extremely well on his PCAT.

Good luck!

bkkk_5 says thanks to shurlee for this post.
Old 04-30-2011 at 08:40 PM   #8
ytpos
too poor to change this

I don't believe they have a preference for older students. Maybe that's just med school. I got in after second year, first try (UofT).

Our class average coming in was low 80s, but there are people who got in with lower.

The PCAT cutoffs were lowered, I believe. The most challenging part of the test would probably be the essays now (unless they changed it again).

Your chances of getting into UofT are fairly high, much higher than the years prior. This is because of the additional admission requirements so now first years can't really apply. Given that your GPA is higher than average and the PCAT cutoffs are so low, the determining factor would be your interview.

Good luck!

bkkk_5 says thanks to ytpos for this post.
Old 04-30-2011 at 11:41 PM   #9
bkkk_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurlee View Post
I have a friend that got accepted into UofT's Pharmacy after first year! I know, amazing right?
He told me majority of the acceptance depended on your PCAT mark. Also, was your interview and of course your marks. I think as long as you meet the required GPA, and you do extremely well on your PCAT, you should be fine.

My friend had a 10-something, but he did extremely well on his PCAT.

Good luck!
seriously?! wow! that gave me confidents and hope XD i guess i should start preparing for PCAT now
Old 04-30-2011 at 11:48 PM   #10
bkkk_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytpos View Post
I don't believe they have a preference for older students. Maybe that's just med school. I got in after second year, first try (UofT).

Our class average coming in was low 80s, but there are people who got in with lower.

The PCAT cutoffs were lowered, I believe. The most challenging part of the test would probably be the essays now (unless they changed it again).

Your chances of getting into UofT are fairly high, much higher than the years prior. This is because of the additional admission requirements so now first years can't really apply. Given that your GPA is higher than average and the PCAT cutoffs are so low, the determining factor would be your interview.

Good luck!
wow nice! i wish i can get in too....now i guess PCAT is worthed more than GPA and i'm pretty bad at essays....thanks so much for the reply!
Old 06-30-2011 at 06:30 PM   #11
rajguj

I have taken political science as my elective.I am an engineering I student starting my first year of engineering from september. Will it full fill the pre requisite course requirement for med school as a social science or humanities course?
Old 06-30-2011 at 06:36 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajguj View Post
I have taken political science as my elective.I am an engineering I student starting my first year of engineering from september. Will it full fill the pre requisite course requirement for med school as a social science or humanities course?
It really depends on what school(s) you're interested in. Some schools don't even have pre-reqs let alone a Humanities/Soc Sci requirement, while others require 2 half-courses. But either way, yes, the course would fulfill 1/2 of the requirement, if a school requires 1 full-yr Hum/Soc Sci course. So look into the schools you're interested in for the specifics.
Old 06-30-2011 at 06:57 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
It really depends on what school(s) you're interested in. Some schools don't even have pre-reqs let alone a Humanities/Soc Sci requirement, while others require 2 half-courses. But either way, yes, the course would fulfill 1/2 of the requirement, if a school requires 1 full-yr Hum/Soc Sci course. So look into the schools you're interested in for the specifics.
1st year poli sci is a full-year course (1G06), so that would fulfill the requirement for one full-year of humanities/soc sci.
Old 06-30-2011 at 07:04 PM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
1st year poli sci is a full-year course (1G06), so that would fulfill the requirement for one full-year of humanities/soc sci.
Oops, I assumed it was a 3-unit course. Thanks for the correction
Old 06-30-2011 at 11:50 PM   #15
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Wow, how are people able to finish all of their prerequisites and still apply by second year? Do you mean by the end of second year? I'm going to need to wait until 3rd ish 4th year since I never took grade 11/12 physics :S.