MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What High School Did You Attend? Jake General Discussion 312 11-23-2011 02:05 PM
registering for level II + summer school luna Academics 10 04-20-2011 09:37 PM
about summer school and level 2 registeration luna Academics 0 03-30-2011 02:15 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
what high school did you go to? lorend Academics 48 08-30-2008 10:33 PM

Night/Summer School? (high school level)

Old 04-30-2011 at 07:01 PM   #1
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Night/Summer School? (high school level)
Outta curiosity, has anyone here taken night/summer school for high school? I went to talk with an advisor yesterday about taking the first year BIO courses, but I don't have high school bio, and you're not allowed to waive it anymore. So, she suggested I take night school (if possible) over taking BIO 1P03, just to save $600. But yeah, does anyone know how feasible this is, and how I'd go about it?

Thanks, as usual. :p
Old 04-30-2011 at 07:05 PM   #2
W. Steinitz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

honestly, I would take BIO 1P03 because that would be an easy elective, and could get a good mark. And if you don't spend those 600 dollars in this class, you're gonna spend them in some other elective anyways so you're not saving any money.
Old 04-30-2011 at 07:26 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Steinitz View Post
honestly, I would take BIO 1P03 because that would be an easy elective, and could get a good mark. And if you don't spend those 600 dollars in this class, you're gonna spend them in some other elective anyways so you're not saving any money.
Not everyone hates their electives.
Old 04-30-2011 at 07:31 PM   #4
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Don't waste your money, take it in high school.
Old 05-01-2011 at 12:21 AM   #5
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

take in in highschool.. highschool summer classes are usually easy as well
Old 05-01-2011 at 12:46 AM   #6
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

If you live in Hamilton year-round, call Red Hill Learning Centre. They'll probably be able to sort it out for you. (they handle the e-learning/summer/night school courses for HWDSB)

Last edited by anon491 : 05-01-2011 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-04-2011 at 09:55 AM   #7
Zimonada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
If you live in Hamilton year-round, call Red Hill Learning Centre. They'll probably be able to sort it out for you. (they handle the e-learning/summer/night school courses for HWDSB)
Sweet deals, I've been kinda without internet the last few days so I'm going to call them today. Would those e-learning types of courses be just as equivalent to McMaster as any other night/summer school course though? I'm planning on asking anyway, but if anyone knows offhand... :p

I figure doing it online would at least save me transportation costs and stuff, but we'll see.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2011 at 12:36 AM   #8
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
Sweet deals, I've been kinda without internet the last few days so I'm going to call them today. Would those e-learning types of courses be just as equivalent to McMaster as any other night/summer school course though? I'm planning on asking anyway, but if anyone knows offhand... :p

I figure doing it online would at least save me transportation costs and stuff, but we'll see.

Thanks!
what do you mean? In grade 11 I took ENG4U over the summer as e-learning and mcmaster accepted it just fine. e-learning or in-class doesn't matter.
It is probably wise to ask them, though, because I'm not sure how it works once you're already in University, maybe there are specific rules or something. Good luck!
Old 05-05-2011 at 09:39 PM   #9
Zimonada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
what do you mean? In grade 11 I took ENG4U over the summer as e-learning and mcmaster accepted it just fine. e-learning or in-class doesn't matter.
It is probably wise to ask them, though, because I'm not sure how it works once you're already in University, maybe there are specific rules or something. Good luck!
Good to know, I figured as such, but it can't hurt to be sure. For anyone who cares, I went around to the advisors in BSB yesterday, who forwarded me to the Bio office in the Life Sci building, and I can't remember the name of who I spoke with... but she gave me the link to www.ilc.org after I talked with her. She said her daughter was actually taking 12U Bio and Chem this summer online through them, and that in their experience they were much better than Red Hill for online courses.

I've yet to actually get all this organized for myself, but I figured it might help someone out there. :p
Old 05-06-2011 at 03:49 AM   #10
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
Good to know, I figured as such, but it can't hurt to be sure. For anyone who cares, I went around to the advisors in BSB yesterday, who forwarded me to the Bio office in the Life Sci building, and I can't remember the name of who I spoke with... but she gave me the link to www.ilc.org after I talked with her. She said her daughter was actually taking 12U Bio and Chem this summer online through them, and that in their experience they were much better than Red Hill for online courses.

I've yet to actually get all this organized for myself, but I figured it might help someone out there. :p
Ohh, cool. glad you got it sorted out. I used to use ILC's online tutoring during highschool, I really like the teachers, they explain things really well. I think red hill has its perks too, though, because the teachers there are super lenient with marks/extensions/workload and such.
Old 07-20-2011 at 11:12 AM   #11
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

It only costs 40 dollars per course? This sounds pretty good :S.
Old 07-20-2011 at 12:00 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
It only costs 40 dollars per course? This sounds pretty good :S.
My english course cost 40$, its really good.. always take highschool courses over doing the same crap for 10x the price in uni...
Old 07-20-2011 at 01:12 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
My english course cost 40$, its really good.. always take highschool courses over doing the same crap for 10x the price in uni...
Agreed, I know a few people who used the ILC to get a few credits, and they really liked it and it's not too difficult, so you can focus on it and finish the course asap.