MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Mac Swim Team - high school student seeks info marsmars General Discussion 2 11-23-2009 05:23 PM
courses selection for international student who gets high school education in China lbqjenny Academics 17 07-04-2009 10:40 AM
Regarding summer school as a first year student Mahratta First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-19-2009 02:18 AM
what high school did you go to? lorend Academics 48 08-30-2008 10:33 PM

McMaster Summer School for high school student

Old 06-06-2010 at 10:08 PM   #1
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

McMaster Summer School for high school student
According to the Office of the Registrar

The last day to add term 2 courses is June 25, 2010

I'm finished all my high school exams by then. Is there anyway I can take a course for thatterm if I am registered student. I'm going to call them but i thought i would ask here first before sounding like an idiot

Thanks for your help.

danallan likes this.
Old 06-06-2010 at 10:09 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

What faculty? For engineering you could do the LEAP program
Old 06-06-2010 at 10:20 PM   #3
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Crap I thought the deadline passed while my parents were arguing over which uni to choose, but if summer school doesn't work out and i cant find a job Ill beg the leap people

Last edited by MacPack : 06-06-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2010 at 12:14 AM   #4
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

You definitely can't take courses in the summer before you start your first year in September. Definitely go for LEAP, you can get some credits out of the way.
Old 06-07-2010 at 09:38 AM   #5
sund

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:callen:. View Post
You definitely can't take courses in the summer before you start your first year in September. Definitely go for LEAP, you can get some credits out of the way.
I'm in Humanities going into second year and I took one of my required courses last summer before starting first year.
Old 06-07-2010 at 12:38 PM   #6
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

cool. how did you manage that. I would take one of my electives..which most likely will be a Humanities social science
Old 08-04-2010 at 04:56 PM   #7
Vaidawg

Liked: 15 Times

Is there a limit to the number of courses you can take in summer school?
Old 08-04-2010 at 05:31 PM   #8
Qadd

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaidawg View Post
Is there a limit to the number of courses you can take in summer school?
I'm not completely sure about this because I've never ever taken summer school, but I believe it's 4. idk if you want to even take that many, that would be too much for me, personally.

anyone wanna confirm 4?
Old 08-04-2010 at 05:45 PM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

It's 2 per term; 4 per "summer".
You need 2 per term to be eligible for OSAP for that term.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-04-2010 at 05:46 PM   #10
nh999
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadd View Post
I'm not completely sure about this because I've never ever taken summer school, but I believe it's 4. idk if you want to even take that many, that would be too much for me, personally.

anyone wanna confirm 4?
Yup, typically, it's 2 single-term courses per term, which is essentially a maximum of 4 courses over the whole summer (May to August). In theory you could take more because that is not a lot of class time per week, but it's not recommended.
Old 08-04-2010 at 06:10 PM   #11
Vaidawg

Thanks a lot
I want to take Physics 1B03 and Comm 2AA3. So if I wanted to take these, when would they run in the summer? Is it straight from May to August? or May to July?
Old 08-04-2010 at 06:27 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Physics 1B03 is a Term 1 course in the summer, so it would run from the beginning of May to the middle of June. The second term in the spring/summer session runs from the middle of June until around now, I believe. So, when Com 2AA3 runs depends on which term it's offered. The exact dates of the terms for the next couple of years can be found on the registrar's website.
Old 08-04-2010 at 06:35 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadd View Post
anyone wanna confirm 4?
If you are able to take a mixture of day and evening classes, you can actually take more classes, but you need to apply for permission to do so: it is considered overloading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Physics 1B03 is a Term 1 course in the summer, so it would run from the beginning of May to the middle of June. The second term in the spring/summer session runs from the middle of June until around now, I believe. So, when Com 2AA3 runs depends on which term it's offered. The exact dates of the terms for the next couple of years can be found on the registrar's website.
If Comm 2AA3 is offered. First year sciences courses in summer school rarely change from year to year, if at all. However, humanities and soc sci courses offer in their availability A LOT. Sometimes a course will be taught once and not taught again for three or four years, while others are every other year, and a small number are taught every year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement