MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Summer school before 1st Year TeleKey Academics 5 06-15-2010 07:24 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Summer School, 2nd year commerce dhillon11 Academics 1 04-11-2009 11:19 AM
Summer School, 2nd Year Commerce dhillon11 Academics 4 04-11-2009 08:32 AM

Regarding summer school as a first year student

Old 05-16-2009 at 06:59 PM   #1
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Regarding summer school as a first year student
Hello - I recently accepted my offer to McMaster Life Sciences. I'm really interested in quite a few areas, but as a Life Science student, I only get space for 2 electives (6 units total). I would really like to take a history course, a music course and an anthropology course (cultural anthro) - however, all of these courses fall under electives for me.

Would it be possible (and would it be a good idea) for me to take one of the three courses this summer? I don't want to lose the option of taking history, music or anthropology in my later years (where I get more elective room).

Advice would be most appreciated, and see you all in the fall!
Old 05-16-2009 at 07:38 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You won't be able to take any summer courses this year as the second term of summer school starts in mid-June, which is before Mac gets your final grades. You may be able to request permission from your department to get this waived, but I haven't heard of it before.

However you can do it next summer, or take one of those courses as an elective in Year II.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-19-2009 at 02:18 AM   #3
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

You can definitely take one of the courses in the summer, or as lorend mentioned above, you can push these electives to your second year. (You are allowed to take 48 units of level 1 courses (16 half-year courses) before you graduate...for most people this isn't a problem)

I just thought it was worth nothing, that a potential problem with taking courses in the summer is that they simply may not be offered. In my experience however, the courses offered in summer school don't vary a whole lot from year to year (particularly the first year choices), so maybe take a look at this year's summer school course timetable (found here: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/).

Just change "session" to SPRING/SUMMER 2009, and search by Department (Music, etc.)

But the point is, if you don't see any of the three courses you'd like to take on there, they probably won't be offered next year either...at which point you'd have to push them to 2nd year.

Last edited by Mowicz : 05-19-2009 at 02:21 AM.