MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elective sam19090 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-29-2010 08:16 PM
elective!! ishk33 Academics 3 08-14-2009 04:15 PM
Which elective? suhaybh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-03-2008 12:28 PM
Elective Help? Ruggedman Academics 2 07-03-2008 04:07 PM

Bio2EE3 as an elective?

Old 07-10-2011 at 01:02 AM   #1
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Bio2EE3 as an elective?
Hey everyone. I am heading into second year honours biology next year. Currently considering bio2ee3 as an elective. It is either going to be bio2ee3, earth sci 2ww3, psych 2ap3, or I will try and get into econ 1b03. Is bio2ee3 an interesting course? How difficult is it? I'll be having orgo, chembio2p03, stats2b03, bio2b03 at the same time. Do you think this would make my schedule too hectic? I am sort of interested in abnormal psych as well, and econ...but then these don't really seem to help me out with what I'm studying?
Has anyone that's taken bio 2ee3 give me their opinion of the course? Are the labs very time-consuming/difficult? What about the material? Thanks for any input!
Old 07-10-2011 at 11:49 AM   #2
neelyej

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Hey everyone. I am heading into second year honours biology next year. Currently considering bio2ee3 as an elective. It is either going to be bio2ee3, earth sci 2ww3, psych 2ap3, or I will try and get into econ 1b03. Is bio2ee3 an interesting course? How difficult is it? I'll be having orgo, chembio2p03, stats2b03, bio2b03 at the same time. Do you think this would make my schedule too hectic? I am sort of interested in abnormal psych as well, and econ...but then these don't really seem to help me out with what I'm studying?
Has anyone that's taken bio 2ee3 give me their opinion of the course? Are the labs very time-consuming/difficult? What about the material? Thanks for any input!
I personally really enjoyed the course though depending on how good you are at chem, I would day you have a pretty difficult schedule. The course isnt too hard to get a ten or eleven but hard to get a twelve. the labs are quite easy though the formal lab is rather time consuming and don't wait for the night before.I found the material really interesting as im interested in taking upper year micro courses but if you want the easiest of those options definitely take econ
Old 07-10-2011 at 12:03 PM   #3
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I don't think that this course is that hard to get a 12 in. The labs take some time in this course, but generally it is pretty light on workload.
Old 07-10-2011 at 12:43 PM   #4
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

You're talking about Bio2EE3-Intro microbiology right??
As the others have said, it's a pretty easy course, 10 and up is possible. But you will be memorizing like no tomorrow for the tests and exams. THe book and lecture notes...you should know almost everything in them..very few application based questions. Labs are easy, so they should be mark booster.
Old 07-10-2011 at 12:45 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemer View Post
You're talking about Bio2EE3-Intro microbiology right??
Yep, it's Microbio .
Old 07-10-2011 at 03:52 PM   #6
Angoose
Elite Member

Thanks for the input everyone. If I don't take it in the upcoming year, I'd have to take it in third year, perhaps with bio2a03 if I don't take that in summer school. I don't really want to take bio2a03 but it's "strongly recommended" for some third year courses. Has anyone had a similar schedule as me during their years at McMaster? Chembio is another physics-like course, right? I'm horrible at physics (no grade 11/12 physics...did not do that well in L03). If I take bio2ee3, I'd have two labs (orgo and bio). How heavy is the workload for stats2b03, bio2b03, and chembio2p03 though? Is it mostly readings? If so, then I might not take bio2ee3 'cause that sounds like pure reading + memory work.
Old 07-10-2011 at 04:56 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone. If I don't take it in the upcoming year, I'd have to take it in third year, perhaps with bio2a03 if I don't take that in summer school. I don't really want to take bio2a03 but it's "strongly recommended" for some third year courses. Has anyone had a similar schedule as me during their years at McMaster? Chembio is another physics-like course, right? I'm horrible at physics (no grade 11/12 physics...did not do that well in L03). If I take bio2ee3, I'd have two labs (orgo and bio). How heavy is the workload for stats2b03, bio2b03, and chembio2p03 though? Is it mostly readings? If so, then I might not take bio2ee3 'cause that sounds like pure reading + memory work.
Just a note, Bio 2A03 isn't offered in the summer and it's also a requirement for upper year Physiology courses so look at the 3rd and 4th year courses before you decide that you don't want to take Bio 2A03.
Old 07-10-2011 at 08:04 PM   #8
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Just a note, Bio 2A03 isn't offered in the summer and it's also a requirement for upper year Physiology courses so look at the 3rd and 4th year courses before you decide that you don't want to take Bio 2A03.
I guess I will have to take it in third year haha. Do honours bio students usually take more chem in their third/fourth years or is it mainly from the biochem, mol bio, bio, and life science courses?
Old 07-10-2011 at 09:25 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I guess I will have to take it in third year haha. Do honours bio students usually take more chem in their third/fourth years or is it mainly from the biochem, mol bio, bio, and life science courses?
From asking all the 3rd/4th years I know, most people stop at Orgo or Chembio 2P03 if they need it. After that it's mostly Psych, Life Sci, Bio, Biochem, Mol Bio etc unless it's required or something.
Old 07-10-2011 at 10:38 PM   #10
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
From asking all the 3rd/4th years I know, most people stop at Orgo or Chembio 2P03 if they need it. After that it's mostly Psych, Life Sci, Bio, Biochem, Mol Bio etc unless it's required or something.
Oh I see. What about you, though? Since you are also interested in pharmacy...did you decide to take any more chemistry after orgo and physical chem? Pharmacy will still have a lot of chemistry courses, though right haha.
Old 07-10-2011 at 11:02 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Oh I see. What about you, though? Since you are also interested in pharmacy...did you decide to take any more chemistry after orgo and physical chem? Pharmacy will still have a lot of chemistry courses, though right haha.
I stopped at the 2 Orgo's but that's because I'm not sure what path I want to take after undergrad. I'm considering taking Physical Chem next year but I've only decided to take it after SOLAR closed so I'm not sure what I'll end up doing. I know some people who took Analytical Chem or Physical chem, or both. So if you're interested, make sure you're interested in Chem to begin with! That's true, but that's why there aren't too many required Chem courses for Pharmacy .
Old 07-11-2011 at 12:16 AM   #12
Angoose
Elite Member

Ohoho, very interesting . Still can't decide what I should do. Would my schedule be "too light" if I don't take bio 2ee3 and physics 1b03 in first/second term respectively (compared to other second year students).
Quote:
I stopped at the 2 Orgo's but that's because I'm not sure what path I want to take after undergrad. I'm considering taking Physical Chem next year but I've only decided to take it after SOLAR closed so I'm not sure what I'll end up doing. I know some people who took Analytical Chem or Physical chem, or both. So if you're interested, make sure you're interested in Chem to begin with! That's true, but that's why there aren't too many required Chem courses for Pharmacy .