Biochem ? kumara Academics 1 06-08-2010 05:21 PM
Biochem 4Q03 - has anyone taken it? Ashlie Academics 3 06-03-2010 10:10 AM
BioChem 2EE3 Help? Cassanova Academics 4 02-04-2010 03:24 PM

biochem???

Old 06-08-2010 at 05:12 PM   #1
kumara

Liked: 7 Times

biochem???
Hi, I'm thinking of going into Biochem ( general) this 2nd year. I'm just wondering how is the workload of this program compare to Bio psych and Honor life Science ( which are also my options) and also what can i do with biochem degree after my 4 years (or 5, with coop). I was reading the course descriptions of this program and i noticed that there will be no lab after 2nd year, ( correct me if i'm wrong lol) and yeah will there be alot of paper to write for this program?? Thanks alot!!! OH and i'm just wondering if anyone is going be in biochem . OOh! and another things, do you have to be really really really good at chem inorder to do well in this program...?? I consider my self to be ok at chem not :(

Thanks alot!
Kumara
Old 06-08-2010 at 05:15 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumara View Post
Hi, I'm thinking of going into Biochem ( general) this 2nd year. I'm just wondering how is the workload of this program compare to Bio psych and Honor life Science ( which are also my options) and also what can i do with biochem degree after my 4 years (or 5, with coop). I was reading the course descriptions of this program and i noticed that there will be no lab after 2nd year, ( correct me if i'm wrong lol) and yeah will there be alot of paper to write for this program?? Thanks alot!!! OH and i'm just wondering if anyone is going be in biochem . OOh! and another things, do you have to be really really really good at chem inorder to do well in this program...?? I consider my self to be ok at chem not :(

Thanks alot!
Kumara
Concerning the options after biochem, I would suggest going to speak with an academic advisor or the careers & services people. Both are in the lobby of BSB.
Old 06-08-2010 at 05:16 PM   #3
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

No labs after second year? LOL thats a joke theres more labs in third year, if your in a specialization anyways.

Its a good program but it is hard, I'd say its easily the hardest of your three options, and the workload is heavy. Don't leave things until the last minute and you'll manage, but you'll find times where you have tests, 25% assignments, group projects, and an exam all in the span of about 10 days lol.

You don't need to be amazing at chem, orgo is pretty much completely different than first year chemistry.

kumara says thanks to zango for this post.
Old 06-08-2010 at 05:18 PM   #4
kumara

AhHHH
Do they work in summer?? so I can just drop by and ask rite??( never been there before ) Thanks Jhan!
Old 06-08-2010 at 05:20 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumara View Post
Do they work in summer?? so I can just drop by and ask rite??( never been there before ) Thanks Jhan!
Yeah, I believe their hours are 9-4. They have drop in, but you can also call to book an appointment if you don't live near the area. I think their drop in hours are different from their office hours.

Just call McMaster, 0 for operator, ask for the science advisors and book an appointment.
Old 06-08-2010 at 05:30 PM   #6
kumara

Also, what do you guys think, Honour Biochem vs Honour Life Science ( minor in biochem ) lol. Is it going to be alot of orgo in biochem?? Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2010 at 05:51 PM   #7
zango
Elite Member

orgo is term1 and term 2, only in second year, and then analytical chem in 3rd year. i personally had a hard time with orgo but some people find it easy. the labs are extremely easy probly get around 90-95%, assignments you should get 60-90%, and the midterm/exam is pretty hard lol.

i'd go biochem over life science, wait, obviously considering that IS what i did lol, but thats just me, what are your long term goals? ie. after undergrad?
Old 06-08-2010 at 07:25 PM   #8
twirlygirly

Liked: 0 Times

when they say physics 1b03 and math 1b03 are strongly recommended.. does it help if we take the courses?
or should we choose easy electives to boost marks?
thanks!
Old 06-08-2010 at 07:28 PM   #9
luv.ng.u

Liked: 1 Time

You can't do a minor in Biochem if you're in Honours Life Sciences because all Biochem courses are counted in the Life Sciences Course List. For a minor, you must take courses elective to your program. I thought about doing one since I took Orgos and Biochem 2EE3 and stuff but I realized I couldn't.

Good luck on your decision!
Old 06-08-2010 at 07:28 PM   #10
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

hi,
the biochem program at mac is really really good.
however,
the work load is a [email protected]#$ing pain in the @$$, there is soo much.
so as long as you are willing to put in the effort, then yah go for it
you are guaranteed to have 4 hour labs every week just alone for the inquiry course,
and yes there are alot of papers to write too
Old 06-08-2010 at 07:32 PM   #11
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

If you like pain and lots of unneccesary work and a woman professor to constantly tell you that we have no future than biochem is the program for you.

If you want to be a researcher than biochem is the program for you. Biochemistry is not heavy on chemistry at all though you need to take 2nd year orgo.

If you go into biochem honours there will be no neccesary lab after 2nd year. Though the required 2L06 lab technique inquiry course in second year is going to be the earl of your demise. It will consume all the extra time you have in 2nd year. If you enjoy group work, and making pubmed as your home page and listening to a professor give you demotivation every week than yeah biochem is for you.

In terms of what you can do with a biochem degree? You can go into research or work in the industry. (but you'll most likely need to get a masters degree first and maybe a pHd).

You don't need to be in this program to go into med school or professional school or w/e. If you're not thinking about becoming a researcher on biochemistry (ie. nucleic acids, proteins etc...), if you're not interested in working with pipettes and things like PCR, protein expression, purification: then don't pursue this program, spare yourself the extra work.

I'd say only come to biochem if you enjoy research. This is the direction they want you to go in if you go to biochem , though it seems like most people in my program aren't interested in that but are interested in med school or w/e. in which case you don't need to be in biochem to pursue at all. You'll have more time to study for your other courses in life science instead of devoting 90% of your time on inquiry projects in biochem.

Take it from a biochem Lvl III student

Last edited by Krusenik : 06-08-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Tahmid777 likes this.
Old 06-08-2010 at 08:44 PM   #12
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

I admit that the work load was pretty high. But it wasn't thaat bad. Part of the reason why the inquiry course took so much time was because we are not used to finding a lot of articles, especially the original articles for the concepts. For me at least, it seemed to become easier as the year went by.

The main thing is if you enjoy the work or not. If you like what you're learning and doing, like me, the work load is not very hard to handle. On the other hand, if you don't like the material, then the work load can be a huge problem. In the later case, I would consider switching to a different program.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents.
Best of luck
Old 06-09-2010 at 07:58 AM   #13
t.dot

Liked: 0 Times

Is it possible to maintain a GPA that's higher than 3.90 in biochem? Especially if you only got a 10.4 sessional average in first year in life sciences?
Old 06-09-2010 at 10:03 AM   #14
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

It's possible in every program.
Old 06-09-2010 at 11:58 AM   #15
zango
Elite Member

Yes if you eat, sleep, and breathe school you can maintain whatever average you want to haha

0t10 likes this.