Biochem 2BB3 Eva C 2nd Year Course Reviews 4 04-28-2016 09:42 PM
Biochem 2B03/2BB3 nh007 Academics 9 08-11-2011 10:18 PM

Biochem 2B03/2BB3

Old 06-06-2012 at 03:33 PM   #1
sarahyuan

Liked: 0 Times

Biochem 2B03/2BB3
Hi,

I was wondering, are biochem 2B03 and biochem 2BB3 good courses worth taking (fairly easy and not so stressful) if I'm going into a Molecular Biology & Genetics program for second year, and just want a little bit of biochem?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2012 at 04:06 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyuan View Post
Hi,

I was wondering, are biochem 2B03 and biochem 2BB3 good courses worth taking (fairly easy and not so stressful) if I'm going into a Molecular Biology & Genetics program for second year, and just want a little bit of biochem?

Thanks!
2B03 goes more indepth than what you would normally learn in Mol Bio courses so I wouldn't say it's easy but I didn't find it stressful. I thought it was a good course and it strengthened what I already learned and helped me in my later courses.
Old 06-06-2012 at 04:54 PM   #3
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

I cram studied 2B03 about 2 days before each midterm and was fine. Dr. Li could be easily convinced to reveal details about what we would be asked questions on. That being said the material was pretty nitty gritty but has come up a lot in future courses / projects. I loved 2BB3 but the assignments took a long time to perfect (in the end, I learned a ton from doing them). Just from what I've heard, I think these courses are much better/more interesting than 3G03 (the antireq).
Old 06-06-2012 at 07:19 PM   #4
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Both are not too bad. Very easy to obtain 10-12 in both (you know what I mean, you can't do nothing obviously...)
Old 06-06-2012 at 07:37 PM   #5
sarahyuan

For one of them, is it true that there is no exam but just weekly quizzes? I also read somewhere that these quizzes were also fairly tricky.... is that true?
Old 06-06-2012 at 08:02 PM   #6
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Yes that would be the Biochem 2bb3 course. They were indeed tricky but more so because you had to think about all the possibilities to decide if a particular statement was true or false.
Old 06-07-2012 at 09:21 AM   #7
sarahyuan

Would Biochem 2EE3 be an "easier" (less tricky, different format of the course) course?
Old 06-07-2012 at 09:37 AM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I recommend going with what you're interested in. If you prefer memorization, go with 2EE3. If you enjoy both memorization and the chance for application, go with the two biochems. They are definitely interesting, but both require work. I can't vouch for 2EE3 as I haven't taken that yet. Even despite crapping out on my quizzes, I did well in the course because I put a lot of time into the assignments and final essay. And not having a final exam was a nice bonus.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-07-2012 at 10:53 AM   #9
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Take biochem courses if you need to fulfill something, unless it really interests you, but since most people are asking if they are "easy", why not just take micro or something.