MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
life sci 2ee3 and biochem 2ee3 jangh2 Academics 16 06-25-2009 12:19 PM
Orgo 20B3 and 2OA3, and biochem 2EE3, and bio 2EE3 rits Academics 1 08-24-2008 03:44 PM

Biochem 2EE3

Old 06-30-2009 at 10:14 AM   #46
Sohail

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Biochem 2EE3
This course was taught by Dr. Boris Zhorov this past year. I think he's been teaching it for years now. This means that a lot of his test questions are actually recycled from previous years. So, if you can get your hands on previous years' tests, you should be in good shape.

In terms...

Last edited by Sohail : 06-30-2009 at 10:16 AM.

all say thanks to Sohail for this post.

like this.
Old 12-15-2010 at 01:00 PM   #45
chung05

Liked: 0 Times
do you happen to have the biochem 2ee3 test for sale
Old 12-20-2010 at 05:11 PM   #46
marcie

Liked: 119 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
Worst class I have ever taken at McMaster. If you love the details of the glycolysis, krebs, lipid metabolism, etc and memorizing a whole tone of useless random facts then this is the class for you!

Not a bird course unless you have alot of time and photographic memory for tiny details
How does this course compare to BIO 2EE3 (Microbiology)?

I just took Microbiology this term, loved it as a subject but hated the testing format (questions were exclusively on useless random facts.. I couldn't stand it). If Biochem is at all like Bio 2EE3, I will hate my life for 4 months. Maybe I should reconsider taking this course? :\

crys.eg likes this.
Old 12-20-2010 at 05:44 PM   #47
elaina1113

hey does anyone have the course outline for this course? I wanna look over and see which parts in the textbook i should be focused on thanks.
Old 12-20-2010 at 09:05 PM   #48
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaina1113 View Post
hey does anyone have the course outline for this course? I wanna look over and see which parts in the textbook i should be focused on thanks.
Do yourself a favour and don't read the textbook...everything comes solely out of lecture notes.
Old 12-20-2010 at 10:25 PM   #49
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcie View Post
How does this course compare to BIO 2EE3 (Microbiology)?

I just took Microbiology this term, loved it as a subject but hated the testing format (questions were exclusively on useless random facts.. I couldn't stand it). If Biochem is at all like Bio 2EE3, I will hate my life for 4 months. Maybe I should reconsider taking this course? :\
I would say the two are not comparable really. In microbio the material was actually interesting, but like you said the testing style was horrible. Biochem...is...someth ing else...

The prof is boooooooooring and he reads directly off the lecture slides, so you won't really learn anything from going to class. The material is also dry...Kreb's cycle, memorizing all the frikken intermediates, enzymes etc etc. BOOOOOOORING

The testing style is hit and miss...it's something like 25 questions, but each question has 2 statements

Statement X: Glycolysis is the breakdown of glucose.
Statement Y: The enzyme responsible for conversion of A --> B is X.

a) Statement X is true
b) Statement Y is true
c) Statement X & Y are true
d) Both are false

All questions have this sort of format, so you kinda gotta know your stuff and this essentially means MEMORIZING the hell out of the lecture notes...FUN FUN FUN

Anyways, this course is a pre-req for some of the cool upper year courses (clinical biochem, nutrition, etc), so you should take it but don't expect much out of it.

Also never read the textbook...brutal.

marcie, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to SciMania for this post.
Old 12-31-2010 at 02:11 AM   #50
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaina1113 View Post
Go back to page 3 of the thread. Jhan posted a course outline from last year.
Old 12-31-2010 at 11:55 PM   #51
sambhuvan

you'll need the book at times because he has just diagrams as slides which are not included when you print the notes.
Old 01-09-2011 at 07:49 PM   #52
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times
Did anyone who took it semester one 2010 have any comment on how much the book is needed? I know ppl have said that almost all q come from the notes but i want to know if anything was changed up this year.

Last edited by LBJ.MVP : 01-09-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2011 at 09:49 PM   #53
sambhuvan

@LBJ.MVP look at my comment that's posted above yours. lol nice username too
Old 01-10-2011 at 01:24 PM   #54
LBJ.MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambhuvan View Post
@LBJ.MVP look at my comment that's posted above yours. lol nice username too
Lebron's my boy, so hence the name. SO you only need the book for the figures rite? no questions on the test are from the book are they? Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-11-2011 at 04:16 PM   #55
Squectangle

Liked: 14 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ.MVP View Post
SO you only need the book for the figures rite? no questions on the test are from the book are they? Any help is appreciated.
When I took the course 2 years ago, most of the questions on the test (22 or 23 out of 25) would be based solely on minute details on lecture notes. The remaining 2 or 3 questions had components that came from specific details in the book.

LBJ.MVP says thanks to Squectangle for this post.
Old 01-12-2011 at 12:36 PM   #56
LBJ.MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squectangle View Post
When I took the course 2 years ago, most of the questions on the test (22 or 23 out of 25) would be based solely on minute details on lecture notes. The remaining 2 or 3 questions had components that came from specific details in the book.

im assuming those 2 or 3 questions from the book are something that you have to read up on or can u figure it out through knowledge from the lectures?
Old 01-13-2011 at 06:00 PM   #57
Squectangle

Liked: 14 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ.MVP View Post
im assuming those 2 or 3 questions from the book are something that you have to read up on or can u figure it out through knowledge from the lectures?
From what I remember, they were additional details in the textbook about certain things covered in the notes. I wouldn't recommend making notes on everything in the textbook and memorizing them; definitely not worth the effort. I just read through covered chapters and somehow recognized them on the tests. As for whether you can figure them out based on lecture material: you may and may not depending on the question. All questions test you on regurgitation and not application/deduction, so answers are not really things that you "figure out". You either know it or you don't.

Last edited by Squectangle : 01-13-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2011 at 11:00 AM   #58
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times
The tiger made its appearance today

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 01-18-2011 at 12:22 AM   #59
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
The tiger made its appearance today
HAHAHA Totally what I was thinking as soon as he said "You probably heard about my favourite animal." I was so close to bursting out laughing

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search