MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Physics 1BB3 and Biochem 3G03 Conflict aliatehreem Academics 2 08-19-2009 09:36 AM
life sci 2ee3 and biochem 2ee3 jangh2 Academics 16 06-25-2009 12:19 PM
Orgo 20B3 and 2OA3, and biochem 2EE3, and bio 2EE3 rits Academics 1 08-24-2008 03:44 PM

biochem 2EE3/physics 1BB3

Old 06-22-2009 at 11:18 AM   #1
mohands

Liked: 0 Times

biochem 2EE3/physics 1BB3
hi i was wondering if someone who has taken these courses can tell me what they thought of the course and was also wondering if anyone could tell me of some good courses that can easily boost up one's average..thanks

Last edited by mohands : 06-22-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2009 at 01:55 PM   #2
Athena

Liked: 0 Times

Biochem 2EE3
Hey Mohands,
I haven't taken physics 1BB3 (only 1B03) but I have taken Biochem 2EE3. First of all its a relatively easy course if your in science especially, because its pretty much a summary of things you've been learning since grade 11 biology. You learn about carbohydrates, proteins, nucleic acids, and fats and then go into depth within each of those sections. The prof has a really thick accent and going to lecture is rather useless as he pretty much reads off the slides (which helps when you're trying to understand what he's actually saying). Personally, I found the format of the midterms and exam extremely frustrating as the wording required you to partially decipher what he was actually trying to ask you before you could pick an answer. The format of his questions was something along the lines of:

X. Guanine is a nucleic acid
Y. Nucleic acids contain a phosphate backbone

a) only X is correct
b) only Y is correct
c) both X and Y are correct
d) both X and Y are incorrect.

This tends to be a bit frustrating after a while especially when it comes to making an educated guess. Overall, you learn some cool material about specific diseases that result from vitamin deficiencies, but overall I found the course to be rather useless to be honest. I was better of just studying from the text than going to class since nobody really understoon him anyways. Oh, and another thing - learn to relate everything to running from the tiger. Zhorov had an obsession with running from the tiger and used this as his example for everything imaginable, from hormone circulation to metabolism!

One last comment - I found it extremely irritating that he didn't allow you to ask questions during the exam or midterms for clarification or anything!

bigmac, jhan523, mohands all say thanks to Athena for this post.
Old 06-22-2009 at 04:23 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Biochem 2EE3 is a mark boost if you're good at memorizing useless information (charts, enzymes, reactions, etc). He doesn't post pictures on lecture slides due to copyright (even though Yang uses the same text and his slides are all pictures xD). Study off the slides, and refer to the textbook if you have issues. Otherwise, the textbook is pretty much useless.

Physics 1BB3 is a lot more theoretical than 1B03. I don't think it's an easy mark booster, although I did pretty well.

mohands says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 06-22-2009 at 08:50 PM   #4
denisa002

Liked: 3 Times

Was Zhorov your prof? And would you guys recommend taking this course as an "easy" elective?
Old 06-22-2009 at 09:21 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisa002 View Post
Was Zhorov your prof? And would you guys recommend taking this course as an "easy" elective?
Yes & Yes.
Old 06-22-2009 at 10:21 PM   #6
denisa002

Liked: 3 Times

awesome, thank you!