MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Bio VS Honours Bio w/ Physiology VS Honours Life Science SciGuy Academics 12 06-05-2013 05:31 PM
How hard is it to switch from Honours Life Science into Honours Biology? cmkc109 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 03-31-2013 09:03 PM
Honours Life Science vs Honours Biology and Psychology Mac2012! First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2012 07:58 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Biochem vs. Honours Life Sci?!

Old 05-30-2014 at 12:28 PM   #1
britt321

Liked: 0 Times

Biochem vs. Honours Life Sci?!
I just wanted people's opinions on these two programs. How hard they are and what their experiences are.
I like how much freedom you have with life sci but is it true that it's harder to get into a masters program with a more general program?
Is biochem really hard or is it manageable?

Originally I wanted to go to med school but I'm not too sure anymore but I still want to keep my options open!
Old 05-30-2014 at 01:01 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

masters doesnt seem difficult with life sci. i know tons of people that have gone into masters programs through life sci and biochem. biochem doesnt seem bad. only annoying courses in 2nd year would be genetics and orgos, 3 courses tons of people outside biochem take too. you can get a high gpa in both programs if youre not lazy.

AnimeGamer31 likes this.
Old 05-30-2014 at 03:53 PM   #3
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

I don't think it's harder to get into masters programs with Life Sci because Life Sci is interdisciplinary which means it's a program which combines departments from all over the place and some graduate programs like that. Every program is different so it really depends. There are programs like Public Health or MBA which don't require anything specific and almost anyone could go into it.

Life Science in my opinion is a double edge sword. It's definitely great to have the freedom and I have a lot of that even with my Origins Specialization; my mandatory courses could come from anywhere in Science such as Psych/Bio/BioChem/Enviro Sci and there's a lot of room to explore your interests. I know someone in Life Sci who is into sustainability and did a thesis project about this topic. But at the same time, there is no focus and that could be uncomfortable. I have found my focus because I could take so many different courses and learn about my likes and dislikes. I learned that I didn't like Bio and I really like Psych so I have taken a lot of psych courses which count towards my degree (not as electives).

There is the option of taking biochem courses in life sci and you could get the best of both worlds since the biochem courses would count towards your life sci degree and you could still get a taste of what biochem is like.
Old 05-30-2014 at 06:31 PM   #4
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

If you want to do a masters in biochem but you are in a life sci spec and only have taken 2 biochem courses, then you might have difficulty getting into a biochem grad program (This is true). But if you are in life sci but you have taken a variety of biochem related courses, then grad school "should" not be a problem. But check out the grad programs you want to apply for, some of them DO REQUIRE you to have background in the field of studying you are applying for (This is true as well!)