MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How hard is it to switch from Honours Life Science into Honours Biology? cmkc109 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 03-31-2013 09:03 PM
Honours Life Science vs Honours Biology and Psychology Mac2012! First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2012 07:58 PM
Honours Life Science vs Honours Biology naval23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 06-18-2012 08:00 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Honours Bio VS Honours Bio w/ Physiology VS Honours Life Science

Old 06-05-2013 at 03:40 PM   #1
SciGuy

Liked: 1 Time

Honours Bio VS Honours Bio w/ Physiology VS Honours Life Science
Hey guys, I was wondering what program you guys would choose between these three if you had the choice. Since I applied, I was thinking about Honours Biology but after thinking some more, I decided that I wasn't sure which of the three I should choose. I was thinking biology because it seems like a great program where I could definitely learn a lot. I was thinking about BioPhys because it also seems very interesting but I heard it is A LOT of work. Finally, I was thinking about the Honours Life Science Major because I heard it is relatively easy and general which allows you to take a wide variety of courses. However, I heard that many professional schools (including medical) do not like general degrees (such as Life Science).

Anyways, which would you guys choose if your main priorities were the easiness, interest and validity for graduate schools.

Thanks!!
Old 06-05-2013 at 03:52 PM   #2
-Ish-

Liked: 56 Times

..To add to this Question, would doing a major in Biology be considered a general degree?

And I'd suggest doing BIO or BIO Phys, rather than Life Sci. As I've heard - outside of McMaster, Grad Schools generally prefer students who've done a degree in BIO over LS (for ex. when applying to do a Master's in Cellular BIO, Immunology, etc.)
Old 06-05-2013 at 03:56 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

all 3 programs make it easy to get a high gpa. all u need to do is look at what courses are required for each program and if u wanna do thesis or not and base decision from there. also, if u go into physio, u can easily switch into the other 2 programs if u want at any time
Old 06-05-2013 at 04:03 PM   #4
SciGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ish- View Post
..To add to this Question, would doing a major in Biology be considered a general degree?

And I'd suggest doing BIO or BIO Phys, rather than Life Sci. As I've heard - outside of McMaster, Grad Schools generally prefer students who've done a degree in BIO over LS (for ex. when applying to do a Master's in Cellular BIO, Immunology, etc.)
Would the same apply if I were applying to med or dental school rather than a masters or PHd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
all 3 programs make it easy to get a high gpa. all u need to do is look at what courses are required for each program and if u wanna do thesis or not and base decision from there. also, if u go into physio, u can easily switch into the other 2 programs if u want at any time
Ooh okay.

Is a thesis required for all the programs? Also, how would I go about switching into the other 2 programs from physio?

Thanks!!
Old 06-05-2013 at 04:10 PM   #5
-Ish-

Liked: 56 Times

From what I've heard - some Professional Schools (med/dental schools) look at your cumulative GPA & your Science GPA. Your Science GPA would be an average of all your grades in Chem, Maths, Bio & Physics courses. Being in BIO, you'll be more likely to take BIO courses to bring up your Science GPA.
And above all, Specializations generally have a better chance than general programs when applying to either Master's/PhD or Professional Schools.
Old 06-05-2013 at 04:33 PM   #6
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ish- View Post
From what I've heard - some Professional Schools (med/dental schools) look at your cumulative GPA & your Science GPA. Your Science GPA would be an average of all your grades in Chem, Maths, Bio & Physics courses. Being in BIO, you'll be more likely to take BIO courses to bring up your Science GPA.
And above all, Specializations generally have a better chance than general programs when applying to either Master's/PhD or Professional Schools.
I think those school that look at science GPA are generally all American schools
Old 06-05-2013 at 04:38 PM   #7
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggggg View Post
I think those school that look at science GPA are generally all American schools

I'm not actually sure if programs with specializations have an advantage for professional, medical schools either.
Old 06-05-2013 at 04:48 PM   #8
SciGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
I'm not actually sure if programs with specializations have an advantage for professional, medical schools either.
So would that mean Honours Life Science would be a better choice?
Old 06-05-2013 at 04:51 PM   #9
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Umm, totally not sure where you heard that professional schools don't like "general degrees" seeing as ontario medical schools don't care what your degree is in as long as you have the requisite courses and grades (using med school as an example since it's the only professional school I have knowledge on).

And yes, the only schools I've come across that look at cumulative GPA as well as science GPA are the ones in the States and haven't come across any in Canada that specifically do that.
Old 06-05-2013 at 04:55 PM   #10
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciGuy View Post
So would that mean Honours Life Science would be a better choice?
Hm, I'm Pockywarrior is right. As long as you can meet all of the prerequisites for the medical, professional, graduate programs you plan on applying to, just choose the program you like the most.
Old 06-05-2013 at 05:11 PM   #11
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Someone just messaged me about this question, so I figured I would post it here.

For medical school, it doesn't matter what you get your degree in as long as you meet the appropriate GPA. So, a science degree with specialization isn't any different than a science degree without specialization or a music degree. It doesn't matter. The only thing that does is GPA. Whether or not you have a specialization does not make a difference, you might be asked why you did X specialization but in the long run it doesn't make a difference. (Note that I only talk about Canadian schools, some international ones are sketchy as hell and matching to residency as an IMG can be quite difficult).

Bio with physiology is not an easy program contrary to what another poster wrote. There are lots of required courses and a thesis which can be taxing depending on the expectations of your supervisor. If you're not interested in doing any research I would stay away from specializations in general which require you to have a thesis. If you want an easy ride, do life sciences and take bird courses. That said, if you're interested in physiology and you're willing to do the legwork then do it. It's possible to get in.

Re: graduate school (research), doing a thesis would probably be more useful in getting you a graduate position. Often times, professors select their masters students from their thesis students. Additionally, work ethic/team work/initiative are things that professors will look for because most of the time their area of specialization is so specific that you'll have to do readings/take courses around the material anyways.

Old 06-05-2013 at 05:15 PM   #12
SciGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
Someone just messaged me about this question, so I figured I would post it here.

For medical school, it doesn't matter what you get your degree in as long as you meet the appropriate GPA. So, a science degree with specialization isn't any different than a science degree without specialization or a music degree. It doesn't matter. The only thing that does is GPA. Whether or not you have a specialization does not make a difference, you might be asked why you did X specialization but in the long run it doesn't make a difference. (Note that I only talk about Canadian schools, some international ones are sketchy as hell and matching to residency as an IMG can be quite difficult).

Bio with physiology is not an easy program contrary to what another poster wrote. There are lots of required courses and a thesis which can be taxing depending on the expectations of your supervisor. If you're not interested in doing any research I would stay away from specializations in general which require you to have a thesis. If you want an easy ride, do life sciences and take bird courses. That said, if you're interested in physiology and you're willing to do the legwork then do it. It's possible to get in.

Re: graduate school (research), doing a thesis would probably be more useful in getting you a graduate position. Often times, professors select their masters students from their thesis students. Additionally, work ethic/team work/initiative are things that professors will look for because most of the time their area of specialization is so specific that you'll have to do readings/take courses around the material anyways.

That clears a lot up, thanks!!

So if I'm planning on applying to medical schools in the states and Canada, it would be better to stick with bio, just in case there is a school that's sketchy about their policies? :p
Old 06-05-2013 at 05:31 PM   #13
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciGuy View Post
That clears a lot up, thanks!!

So if I'm planning on applying to medical schools in the states and Canada, it would be better to stick with bio, just in case there is a school that's sketchy about their policies? :p
Check the prerequisites of the schools that you're thinking of applying to. I only applied to Canadian schools and most of them are moving away from stringent science requirements.

Be very careful about applying to sketchy international schools because even if you end up finishing your MD (many people fail out). If you don't match to residency anywhere then you'll be stuck with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and won't be able to find a job in the future.

hassas9 says thanks to Lois for this post.