MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology R633 Academics 39 06-04-2010 08:33 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology R633 Academics 0 05-29-2010 04:47 PM
Honours Biology (core) Or Life Science 2 Rakim Academics 9 03-05-2010 07:32 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Honours Life Science vs Honours Biology

Old 06-18-2012 at 04:29 PM   #1
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Honours Life Science vs Honours Biology
Hey guys, what are some of the differences between Honours bio or Honours life science? I still don't know the difference between the two after doing some research. A lot of the courses I found in second year Life Science were the exact same as courses in second year for Honours Bio. Like Bio 2B03 = Life Sci 2B03

Are there any pros that life sci has that bio does not, or vice-versa?

Is one more focused on lab courses while the other one is more theory? I noticed that in Honours Life Science, you will need to complete the first 2 psychs, but in Honours biology, you don't need to.

Last edited by naval23 : 06-18-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2012 at 04:50 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
Hey guys, what are some of the differences between Honours bio or Honours life science? I still don't know the difference between the two after doing some research. A lot of the courses I found in second year Life Science were the exact same as courses in second year for Honours Bio. Like Bio 2B03 = Life Sci 2B03

Are there any pros that life sci has that bio does not, or vice-versa?

Is one more focused on lab courses while the other one is more theory? I noticed that in Honours Lif Science, you will need to complete the first 2 psychs, but in Honours biology, you don't need to.
Both are general, but life sci is even more general. If you look at the courses there are actually quite a few differences--it's important to look beyond just second year courses. For example, chembio and core biochem take mostly the same courses in second year, but by third or fourth, it's very different.
I believe Life Sci also has more elective space, but you should check the course calendar.
Old 06-18-2012 at 05:04 PM   #3
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Both are general, but life sci is even more general. If you look at the courses there are actually quite a few differences--it's important to look beyond just second year courses. For example, chembio and core biochem take mostly the same courses in second year, but by third or fourth, it's very different.
I believe Life Sci also has more elective space, but you should check the course calendar.
actually bio has more elective spaces since life sci require you to take mandatory 3rd year life sci courses, there aren't any mandatory 3rd year bio courses, you just have to take enough courses on biology course list
regarding op's question yes there are some similarities especially in 2nd year and both program aren't really lab focused but there are courses only bio students can take and same thing for life sci's
Old 06-18-2012 at 05:05 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
actually bio has more elective spaces since life sci require you to take mandatory 3rd year life sci courses, there aren't any mandatory 3rd and 4th year bio courses, you just have to take enough courses on biology course list
regarding op's question yes there are some similarities especially in 2nd year and both program aren't really lab focused but there are courses only bio students can take and same thing for life sci's
I wouldn't count courses from a list as electives...I count the ones that actually say "elective", where you can really take whatever you want.
Old 06-18-2012 at 05:08 PM   #5
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Quote:
I wouldn't count courses from a list as electives...I count the ones that actually say "elective", where you can really take whatever you want.
yes exactly bio students can take 36-39 unit as Electives and life sci can only take 27-36 units
and life sci has a course list too
Old 06-18-2012 at 05:10 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
yes exactly bio students can take 36-39 unit as Electives and life sci can only take 27-36 units
and life sci has a course list too
The course list is irrelevant to electives, I'm confused...but yeah, that's why I said to check the course calendar.
Old 06-18-2012 at 05:14 PM   #7
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Quote:
The course list is irrelevant to electives, I'm confused...but yeah, that's why I said to check the course calendar.
i was just pointing out that both program have course lists and according to course calender bio can take few more electives... lol sorry for confusing you

nerual says thanks to cjdzl for this post.
Old 06-18-2012 at 05:57 PM   #8
naval23

Thanks you guys.

Is Honours Biology harder than Honours Life Science, in terms of mandatory courses? Because I'm leaning towards Honours Biology since it doesn't require psych in year 1, and it's almost the same thing as Life Science anyway?

If you had to pick one stream of Honours Life Science and Honours Biology, which one would you pick and why?
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:08 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Thanks you guys.

Is Honours Biology harder than Honours Life Science, in terms of mandatory courses? Because I'm leaning towards Honours Biology since it doesn't require psych in year 1, and it's almost the same thing as Life Science anyway?

If you had to pick one stream of Honours Life Science and Honours Biology, which one would you pick and why?
I'd pick bio, because I think you should try more specialized programs before going more general. It's usually easier to switch into a more general program, and you can always switch into life sci if you don't like bio. I think that the more specialized your program, the more experience you get, the more it sets you apart and gives you an advantage.
Having said that, both of those programs would be at the bottom of my list. It depends what you like learning, what you want to get out of your degree, and what you want to do after university.
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:20 PM   #10
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Thanks you guys.

You haven't even started first year yet...trust me, you don't know what you want yet. No need to worry this much just yet.

nerual, Swampis like this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:31 PM   #11
naval23

Thanks. I just need to have some type of plan when I'm choosing courses next week, because I don't want to take something I might not need to.

But I am like 99% sure, even though I haven't done research, that I probably won't like to do it, especially considering how time consuming and how much effort it requires, it's just a lot of work.

And I don't think I'd do biochemistry because it's very lab-heavy, and I do like the general programs more because it gives me a bit more freedom.

But, you're right, this could very likely change.

I was just wondering what the consequences would be if I decided not to take Psych in first year because you don't need it for all level 2 life science programs, and I'd rather take easier and more fun electives like Economics.
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:33 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I don't understand why there are so many questions related to choosing a program and the difficulty of the program. If you are really interested in a certain program then why would you let difficulty get in the way of possibly obtaining a career in that field?

Seriously, just choose your program based on your interest and it'll turn out easier than you expect it to. I left highschool with biology being the lowest mark out of all the science classes, in fact physics and math was my highest marks leaving highschool. But physics just didn't interest me and biology (more specifically genetics) was way more interesting to me. After all 4 years of university, biology courses have always been at my GPA or higher and I'm confident that if I were to purse physics or math (which I found easy in highschool) I would have gotten completely destroyed (Math 1AA3 was a disaster, I had no idea what the hell was going on in that course).

Edit: And even if you plan on going to professional school which isn't related to the program you are interested in, it always helps to have a back-up plan which you are interested in. And perhaps you may even end up doing research in a field related both to the professional school and your undergrad degree.

BlueWave, Differential all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:44 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Thanks. I just need to have some type of plan when I'm choosing courses next week, because I don't want to take something I might not need to.

But I am like 99% sure, even though I haven't done research, that I probably won't like to do it, especially considering how time consuming and how much effort it requires, it's just a lot of work.

And I don't think I'd do biochemistry because it's very lab-heavy, and I do like the general programs more because it gives me a bit more freedom.

But, you're right, this could very likely change.

I was just wondering what the consequences would be if I decided not to take Psych in first year because you don't need it for all level 2 life science programs, and I'd rather take easier and more fun electives like Economics.
There are way more options than life sci, biochem and bio.
Lab experience is what makes an undergrad science degree valuable, far more than the courses you take.

I really didn't find psych to be time consuming nor did it require much effort on my part. The biggest pain was listening to the lectures...but it's not difficult at all. Some people will disagree with me, and that's fine. You won't know how YOU will find the course unless you take it.

Completion of a level 1 program is required for admission into level 2. If you don't take psych 1X03, you're not completing life sci 1. You could get around this by completing any other level 1 program, even one you aren't registered in (such as physical sci, or enviro sci, or whatever). That said, I'm not sure how strict they are about that, you'd have to contact them and ask.

naval23 says thanks to nerual for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:48 PM   #14
naval23

Quote:
There are way more options than life sci, biochem and bio.
Lab experience is what makes an undergrad science degree valuable, far more than the courses you take.

I really didn't find psych to be time consuming nor did it require much effort on my part. The biggest pain was listening to the lectures...but it's not difficult at all. Some people will disagree with me, and that's fine. You won't know how YOU will find the course unless you take it.

Completion of a level 1 program is required for admission into level 2. If you don't take psych 1X03, you're not completing life sci 1. You could get around this by completing any other level 1 program, even one you aren't registered in (such as physical sci, or enviro sci, or whatever). That said, I'm not sure how strict they are about that, you'd have to contact them and ask.
Oh I see, so since I'm in Life Science, I'll have to take Psych 1x03. Well, I guess that makes it easier then lol. I've heard good things about psych 1xx3 so I may take that as well, I was more worried about psych 1x03. Thanks for your help, I notice you've responded to almost every thread I've created!
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:49 PM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Oh I see, so since I'm in Life Science, I'll have to take Psych 1x03. Well, I guess that makes it easier then lol. I've heard good things about psych 1xx3 so I may take that as well, I was more worried about psych 1x03. Thanks for your help, I notice you've responded to almost every thread I've created!
Lol no problem...in other words, I should really get back to work