MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology R633 Academics 0 05-29-2010 04:47 PM
Honours Biology (core) Or Life Science 2 Rakim Academics 9 03-05-2010 07:32 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology

Old 05-29-2010 at 04:55 PM   #1
R633

Liked: 24 Times

Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology
Hello,
I have the choice of choosing between the honours life science and honours biology programs. I know that the life science is more general than biology, but is there anything else I should consider before choosing? Is any one BETTER than the other?
Thanks
Old 05-29-2010 at 05:03 PM   #2
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

From what I know, the Bio program, like you said, is more specific. Also, people that tend to like more than just one type of thing choose the Life Sci. major. It's your preference, really. I mean, you can still take the same amount of Bio courses like you would with a Bio major, but you won't get the title of the "bio" major. Does that make sense?
Old 05-29-2010 at 05:11 PM   #3
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

The programs are VERY similar. Both have a lot of space for electives, allowing you to take a wide variety of courses. Hon Bio does not, similar to Hon Life Sci, require a 4th year thesis. So if you are interested in taking upper level Bio courses then go with Hon Bio, because then you get the Hon Bio designation.
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:06 PM   #4
Karlee H.

May I ask what your average was to get into Honours Biology? Because I did not get accepted, and I had a 7.4 average... I'm a little bit shocked.. I know it's not the greatest average, but I expected to at least get into Honours Biology...
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:13 PM   #5
R633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlee H. View Post
May I ask what your average was to get into Honours Biology? Because I did not get accepted, and I had a 7.4 average... I'm a little bit shocked.. I know it's not the greatest average, but I expected to at least get into Honours Biology...
Well you see, I transferred after my first year which I did at the University of Ottawa, so my grades from their translated into an 11 on McMaster's scale. My CA this year was not nearly as good because I can honestly say that McMaster is a harder school than university of ottawa. I think they used my grades from my first year though...

7.4 is not bad at all, did you meet all the course requirements? Did you get accepted into Hon. Life Sci. ?
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:22 PM   #6
Karlee H.

Yes I did get into Honours Life Sci, but I mean... I'm pretty sure that the cut-off last year for even molecular biology was a 6.9... I was talking to a biology prof at the beginning of the year, I had a rough first semester and only had a 6.6, and she told me herself that I would definitely get into honours biology with a 6.6.. I did a lot better 2nd term and managed to reach an 8.2 which brought my CA to a 7.4... but I guess there were a LOT of brilliant people that applied to honours biology this year! I'll try again next year, it just sucks because I really had my heart set on bio for second year :(. I REALLY want to know what the cut-off was though.
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:27 PM   #7
R633

Yeah, I'm suprised too you didn't get in with 7.4... It's ok take Hon. Life Sci, and make sure you take courses required for honours bio as your electives from the life sci course list like bio 2A03... the two programs are prettly similar I guess. I myself had a CA a little higher than yours, but again, my situation was a little different. You will get in next year
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:29 PM   #8
Karlee H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R633 View Post
Yeah, I'm suprised too you didn't get in with 7.4... It's ok take Hon. Life Sci, and make sure you take courses required for honours bio as your electives from the life sci course list like bio 2A03... the two programs are prettly similar I guess. I myself had a CA a little higher than yours, but again, my situation was a little different. You will get in next year
I certainly hope so! Thank you.
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:29 PM   #9
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Agreed. I know a lot of people that didn't get into their preferred majors and their averages were the same, if not a little higher, but they're not giving up! I am so glad I'm switching out of the sciences xD.
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:36 PM   #10
R633

Woah! Out of sciences!! I hope chem 1AA3 didn't influence your decision too much lol. That exam was disaster though...
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:41 PM   #11
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Woah! Out of sciences!! I hope chem 1AA3 didn't influence your decision too much lol. That exam was disaster though...
Chem, amongst other things. I just don't like it anymore. It's so boring now. I used to enjoy it in High School when things were simple and easy. Now, it's too damn complicated and so freaking boring. Though, my new major isn't too far from the sciences (Psych in soc. sci.).

That exam was brutal. I am so glad they raised the average or else, I would not have passed xD.
Old 05-30-2010 at 12:42 AM   #12
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:

E-mail Kathy McIntosh ([email protected]) , she is the Biology undergraduate assistant and she is a very very nice person. Explain to her that you have a 7.4 average and that is well within the range for the Honours Biology specialization. I was in that spec. last year (my second year) and I know of MANY people who had barely a 6 average and were admitted into the program. Talk to her, she will make something happen, I'm very confident its just a clerical error due to the whole mess about grades this year. E-mail her, or go visit her and yeah things should work out, chin-up.

When it comes to your education at this level, never settle, and never feel like you can't argue/fight for something, asking questions always pays off. (wow i just got all philosophical there, sweet!)

Karlee H., sana1504 all say thanks to Scrub for this post.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 05-30-2010 at 01:26 AM   #13
Laydee Death

Don't worry! Take Honours Life Sci. for now! It's very similar to Hon. Bio, just under a different name. Life Sci. allows you to be more flexible than Bio although Bio is pretty flexible too and if nothing works out this year, you can always try again the following year!
Old 05-30-2010 at 11:05 AM   #14
Karlee H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
E-mail Kathy McIntosh ([email protected]) , she is the Biology undergraduate assistant and she is a very very nice person. Explain to her that you have a 7.4 average and that is well within the range for the Honours Biology specialization. I was in that spec. last year (my second year) and I know of MANY people who had barely a 6 average and were admitted into the program. Talk to her, she will make something happen, I'm very confident its just a clerical error due to the whole mess about grades this year. E-mail her, or go visit her and yeah things should work out, chin-up.

When it comes to your education at this level, never settle, and never feel like you can't argue/fight for something, asking questions always pays off. (wow i just got all philosophical there, sweet!)
Thank you SO much!!!!!! I am emailing her right now. I'll let you know how things go
Old 05-30-2010 at 11:57 AM   #15
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Thank you SO much!!!!!! I am emailing her right now. I'll let you know how things go

Best of luck, hope things work out!