Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 75%
Biochemistry 3H03

Clinical Biochemistry is taught by two professors: Dr. Hill and Dr. Macri.

They each teach the course for half the semester. Dr. Hill was an amazing professor - crystal clear explanations and great lecture notes as well. His test questions tended to be on the more wordy side and slightly more difficult, but he was by far the better professor. Dr. Macri tended to drone on during lectures, going off into almost completely unrelated rants for 10-15 mins of the class. His test questions tended to be on the easy side.

The course starts with the dry basic concepts surrounding laboratory testing such as test characteristics then moves on to cover the role of the kidney, acid-base balance, pathologies associated with the kidney, the liver and associated pathologies.

Then the 2nd half of the course deals with endocrinology - you would think this would be interesting, however I personally did not enjoy it because I was not a big fan of Dr. Macri's teaching style. However, we talked about the endocrine glands, the hypothalamus/pituitary and the role of several hormones produced by the pituitary in maintaining bodily functions. Finally, we looked at the thyroid gland. Normally, we would have talked about cardiovascular disease and diabetes, however there was not enough time.

The course consisted of 3 term tests
-all Multiple choice questions
-approximately 35 questions each
-non cumulative

The term tests were average difficulty. Everyone did really well in the first test, then the averages seemed to go down slightly for the next 2 - but were still fairly high.

The exam was cumulative, covering the entire course, it consisted of 100 MC questions, 50 from each professor. It tended to repeat a lot of the questions from the midterm exams.

Overall, it was a VERY interesting course, and you'll come out having learned a lot. But that's just the thing - there is A LOT of material and this course is almost entirely memory based - recalling facts and/or applying them to case studies. If you are good at memory work then this is a good course for you. Otherwise, it is still really interesting!

Note: the textbook was not very useful (for me). it seemed all questions were derived from the lecture notes. however, if you do not attend class, then you will likely need the textbook for further clarification of material.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Biochemistry 3H03!

Old 04-17-2010 at 03:03 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
I liked Macri's lectures better than Hill's. Both were good professors though.
Old 06-14-2010 at 11:59 AM   #3
naimaa

Liked: 6 Times
This was my favourite course this past year. I thought it was very interesting and taught very well by Dr. Macri and Hill. I definitely recommend this course.
Old 09-07-2010 at 07:19 AM   #4
goodhours

Liked: 0 Times
I liked Dr. Hill better than Macri. Macri would put really vague questions on tests. But nevertheless, very interesting course

Old 09-11-2010 at 04:20 PM   #5
R.A.

Is it possible to get a good mark in this class? Are the questions on the tests and exam that are pure memorization really random facts that were mentioned once in class or are they relevant knowledge questions?

thanks
Old 09-11-2010 at 04:22 PM   #6
naimaa

Liked: 6 Times
very relevant. all in the notes. conceptual questions too. great class. and definitley possible to do well if you put in enough effort.
Old 04-10-2011 at 10:10 PM   #7
Steady

I'm taking it this semester and our second test had almost half the questions come from case studies so make sure you know the ones from the lectures and the ones mentioned in the textbook. Dr. Hill also talked about a few case studies for the final exam that he would not include in the lecture notes and would tell people off if they tried to take photos with their cameras.
Old 06-06-2011 at 03:25 PM   #8
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times
Has this course changed over the past year? I talked to a lot of people and the general concensus is that THIS COURSE IS REALLY HARD

They all said you have to put in a lot of time and effort into this course and the tests are difficult. People who usually get 11s and 12s got only like 10 or 9.

Confirm?

traveler10 says thanks to Krusenik for this post.
Old 06-08-2011 at 07:14 AM   #9
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times
I thought the tests were really straight forward.. but you do have to put time into studying because there is a lot of stuff u need to know. I'd definitely recommend making algorithms and summaries, because there is a lot of 'diagnosis' in this course. But IMO, if you know your stuff, the tests are not that difficult.

Lee C., traveler10 all say thanks to Mz.Morra13 for this post.
Old 06-29-2011 at 09:43 AM   #10
hans23

The course is pretty much a bird if you've taken physiology courses before.
For me, it was a repeat of things I've learned from before so I found it really boring.

traveler10 says thanks to hans23 for this post.
Old 08-31-2011 at 08:07 AM   #11
pandachi

I don't know how people saw this as a bird course. Macri's lectures weren't helpful at all, he would often talk about additional small details in lectures and put them on his midterm. Case studies were indeed interesting but it was purely memorization based; just had memo conditions and what disorder applied to it. Hill's lectures were better and more helpful.

the exam last year was horrible. there were many mistakes, seemed like they rushed the whole thing and there were a lot of repeats, which was good if you knew the answer and got free marks or it was disastrous since you got both wrong.
Old 12-20-2011 at 11:46 AM   #12
Annieloveedw

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Do you guys think the textbook is useful?
Old 01-02-2012 at 09:24 PM   #13
sambhuvan

Yeah is it worth buying the textbook for this class?
Old 04-25-2012 at 05:46 PM   #14
nadia8

Liked: 2 Times
was the exam a lot to study for, seeing as there was 3 term tests, and it is cumulative? would taking first year anatomy serve as a good foundation for the material covered in this course?
Old 04-25-2012 at 05:59 PM   #15
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times
There's only two tests now. But i'd definitely say the exam had quite a bit to study for, nothing ridiculous but you had to put in the time (yes it is cumulative). Taking anatomy/physiology really helped me, as most of the endocrinology units were essentially a review.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search