MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Sciences Course Selection Questions GB123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-29-2011 10:24 AM
Admission in to Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences MacFreak76 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-24-2010 11:47 AM
Questions about Core Biochemistry Program AnthraX Academics 2 06-13-2010 03:08 PM

Biochemistry (Biomedical Sciences) Co-op Questions

Old 05-27-2012 at 06:16 PM   #1
Driftking24

Liked: 0 Times

Biochemistry (Biomedical Sciences) Co-op Questions
Hey guys, I had a couple of questions about the biochem co-op offered in third year. First of all, I was looking here, but I don't understand what courses they require:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...13/pg1520.html

I'm going into second year next year for biochem (biomed specialization), and here are the courses I have to take:

BIOCHEM 2B03
BIOCHEM 2BB3
BIOCHEM 2L06
BIOLOGY 2C03
CHEM BIO 2P03
CHEM 2OA3
CHEM 2OB3
ELECTIVE 1
ELECTIVE 2

Now to get into the co-op program 3rd year, I understand that I need to take SCIENCE 2C00. Looking at the page I linked above, it says under requirements that:

Quote:
Level II: 30 units

30 units Completion of any Level II Honours Biochemistry program, including completion of BIOLOGY 2B03 and SCIENCE 2C00 (See Program Note 3 above.)

Does this mean that I have to complete BIOLOGY 2B03 in second year to apply for the co-op program 3rd year? If so, I guess that will be one of my electives. However, under Level 3, it says:

Quote:
3 units from BIOLOGY 2C03 or 2B03, whichever not completed in Level II
So does that mean I can apply for co-op without taking BIOLOGY 2B03 in second year?

Sorry I'm really confused about this, so can someone please help me out? Thanks a lot.
Old 05-27-2012 at 06:24 PM   #2
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

You can probably take 2B03 in 3rd year. In Mol Bio Co-op, there's a few requirements that differ from the straight-up Mol Bio program (namely Stats 2B03 is mandatory). I think my requirements for Stats 2B03 were the same as what you've listed for Bio 2B03, but I took it in 3rd year.

Looks like you've got a pretty heavy courseload, so if you can it'd be worth it to use your electives on some easier classes.

Driftking24 says thanks to Freak705 for this post.
Old 05-28-2012 at 10:16 AM   #3
Driftking24

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks, I guess I'll probably take it in 3rd year and take some easier electives second year.