MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Biology 1a03 dlee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-30-2010 02:38 PM
biology 1A03 samiam First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-08-2010 07:26 PM
Biology 1A03 samiam Academics 1 06-06-2010 09:18 PM

Biology 1A03

Old 04-11-2009 at 02:55 AM   #16
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Biology 1A03
This course is divided into three parts. The first two profs tried to incorporate a sort of model to aid the curriculum.

Dr. Jacobs - Cell Bio
- had a virus model. Seemed irrelevant until after the unit which is kind of unfortunate because understanding was crammed to the end....

Last edited by sinthusized : 04-11-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-04-2009 at 10:44 AM   #15
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times
This doesn't seem like an interesting bio course, shouldn't have taken it haha
Old 07-04-2009 at 12:51 PM   #16
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Sadly it's required though .. and you'll need it to take upper-year bio courses
Old 07-04-2009 at 02:45 PM   #17
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
Its really not as bad as it sounds, I swear!

I mean, yeah Jacobs was not the greatest teacher, and had really poor notes. But he did have online lectures on the virus and on all the major groups of Macromolecules (Proteins, Nucleic Acids, Lipids and Carbohydrates) which were all really helpful. The virus is actually pretty interesting, and serves as a really good model for a lot of cell processes.

Kajiura was as awesome as always though. Great notes, great lectures, relatively easy material. It didn't have as much of the interest factor for me, but a lot of it was still pretty cool.

And for me, Wilson was the best part. A lot of people didn't like her, but she did post her full notes online in advance, and her material was by far the most interesting. She also gave review questions before the exam that were VERY representative of the difficulty of the exam, which was nice. (In fact, a few of those questions made it onto the exam verbatim- so study that part well!).

Also the lab coordinator Alistair was a great guy, who was always willing to help. Also your TAs are all awesome.

The only part I didn't like (aside from the Jacobs actual lectures) was the labs- they were all boring and didn't help us with any of the concepts. Of course, I dislike labs in general, so maybe that's a bit biased >.<

Last edited by Marlowe : 07-04-2009 at 07:31 PM.

nonikhanna, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 07-04-2009 at 03:49 PM   #18
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times
Jacobs was a boring lecturer but I found his course material very interesting.
Old 07-04-2009 at 04:13 PM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Ohh Awesomee! Thanks a lot Andrew! Stupid question(perhaps) But when I looked at the master timetable .. for 1A03.. First semester there's sections by Kajiura/Boreham. BUt second semester for the course it's Kajiura/Wilson.. Will all 3 professors still teach both terms.. Or will the 3 profs "rule" change to just 2 this time ?
Old 07-04-2009 at 04:14 PM   #20
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Also, do you guys know where I can find the course outlines..for what topics are covered in the course and such... some are on the department page.. others aren't :S
Old 07-04-2009 at 05:19 PM   #21
Marlowe
Elite Member

They might have changed the number of professors as well as which professors are teaching it. Or they might only list 2 of the profs. I can't recall exactly, but I think ours might have only said Kajiura. (Someone who payed more attention to their course selection could confirm/deny this?)

As far as a course outline, I'll check to see if WebCT still has stuff posted.
Old 07-04-2009 at 05:35 PM   #22
Marlowe
Elite Member

No, they took all that stuff down. As a rough outline though:

-Macromolecules
-Cell Processes
-Cell Division
-Genetics
-DNA replication (translation and transcription)
-Functional Genetics (operons and such)
-PCR, sequencing, etc
Old 07-04-2009 at 07:21 PM   #23
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Thanks Andrew! If my memory serves me well, I think almost all of these topics were covered in grade 11 and 12 biology, so hopefully it's more detailed in a non-complicated way next year . Hmm, excluding Fuctional genetics probably.. Thanks a lot!
It would be really convenient if anyone can confirm the whole professor thing on SOLAR.
Old 07-13-2009 at 10:42 PM   #24
nciggle

Liked: 11 Times
I checked the Master timetable and it only lists labs, but are there tutorials in this course as well?
Old 07-13-2009 at 11:33 PM   #25
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nciggle View Post
I checked the Master timetable and it only lists labs, but are there tutorials in this course as well?
there were "optional" tutorials last year... quotation marks used because they were worth marks.. maybe they will assign them later on...

Anyways, a funny thing happened last year. Some people I know thought that since chem/bio labs are EOW, they'd have it on the same day and it would work out (Chem this Thursday at 8:30, Bio next Thursday at 8:30). However Chem takes a break off of labs the week before reading week and bio doesn't so the labs would coincide after the break... Lori Goff is useless about this and told my lab partner to choose to fail the lab component of biology or chem. Jeff Landry settled it with chem so it worked out but omg... what a suggestion...
Old 07-14-2009 at 12:04 AM   #26
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

OMG! That's so mean!? How can you make someone choose to fail the lab component just for one lab :(?!
Old 07-14-2009 at 12:06 AM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
OMG! That's so mean!? How can you make someone choose to fail the lab component just for one lab :(?!
That's a lot of % lost. I think each lab is worth 5%? Which means that they would have lost 10% of their mark because there were 2 after reading week.
Old 07-14-2009 at 12:10 AM   #28
Marlowe
Elite Member

It wouldn't be for one lab, it would be for like half of them. Still, I'm surprised Lori Goff wouldn't do anything about it. At the very least she should have directed them to Alistair, since I think that would fall under his scope (he's like the Jeff Landry of Bio 1A03!)

I dunno, she always seemed really nice when I went to see her.
Old 07-14-2009 at 12:50 AM   #29
sinthusized
Elite Member

She seems nice to me too, but maybe she couldn't do anything about it? I dunno Jeff Landry from chem fixed it up though.. he seems kind of scary when he warns people about copying other peoples' lab note books in lecture "WE WILL FIND YOU, AND WE WILL FAIL YOU!" but he was really nice about it and fixed it up for them.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search