MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Biology 1a03 dlee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-30-2010 02:38 PM
biology 1A03 samiam First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-08-2010 07:26 PM
Biology 1A03 samiam Academics 1 06-06-2010 09:18 PM

Biology 1A03

Old 04-11-2009 at 02:55 AM   #46
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Biology 1A03
This course is divided into three parts. The first two profs tried to incorporate a sort of model to aid the curriculum.

Dr. Jacobs - Cell Bio
- had a virus model. Seemed irrelevant until after the unit which is kind of unfortunate because understanding was crammed to the end....

Last edited by sinthusized : 04-11-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-15-2009 at 08:24 AM   #45
unaiza

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lankan_4lif View Post
What is the hardest part of this course and are the multiple choice questions tricky?

The hardest part of this course was probably the section taught by Jacobs. I personally think he assumed a lot of prior knowledge. The best study tools for his section are the videos and concept maps he posts. Trust me, if you read over them often, everything eventually makes sense to you and you can put all the concepts together. I don't think his section would've been understandable, at least to me if it weren't for those study aids esp because most of his material wasn't in the textbook at all.

Dr.Kajiura is pretty simple, no need to worry about that and her questions esp on the midterm weren't tricky at all. Just know everything on her notes, and you're good to go. Dr.Wilson, I personally didn't like her notes as most of them they were directly taken from the textbook, however her tests were fair and occurred rather easier to me. They were application style questions but you have to read her questions very carefully.
Old 08-15-2009 at 01:12 PM   #46
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times
Thanks Unaiza. The professors teaching BIO 1A03 term 1, which I'm taking are Kajiura and Boreham. Do you know anything about how Dr. Boreham is?
Old 08-15-2009 at 02:30 PM   #47
unaiza

Quote:
Thanks Unaiza. The professors teaching BIO 1A03 term 1, which I'm taking are Kajiura and Boreham. Do you know anything about how Dr. Boreham is?
To find out how the professors are like use this website :
http://ratemyprofessors.com/

It has reviews on pretty much all the professors.
Old 08-15-2009 at 02:34 PM   #48
unaiza

Quote:
But really, Jacobs isn't teaching it anymore? :| that's some good news for you guys.
Old 08-17-2009 at 07:42 AM   #49
Jenn

Liked: 5 Times
are all of the bio textbooks for 1A03/1M03 worth buying? :O
Old 08-17-2009 at 08:39 AM   #50
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
are all of the bio textbooks for 1A03/1M03 worth buying? :O
Yeah, you're going to need them
Old 08-17-2009 at 11:47 AM   #51
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Yes, are fight0 mentioned you are going to need them. I read the bio texts so much. It really helped me.
Old 08-27-2009 at 02:48 PM   #52
lankan_4lif

Are any of the following texts useful for BIO 1A03 and was any of the material in these texts ever tested on midterms/exams or every helpful in lab write-ups?

FREEMAN- Study Guide to Biological Science
FREEMAN- Biological Science (VOL #1)(TEXTBOOK ONLY)
FREEMAN- Biological Science (VOL #1 and #2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING)
Old 08-27-2009 at 05:26 PM   #53
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Are any of the following texts useful for BIO 1A03 and was any of the material in these texts ever tested on midterms/exams or every helpful in lab write-ups?

FREEMAN- Study Guide to Biological Science
FREEMAN- Biological Science (VOL #1)(TEXTBOOK ONLY)
FREEMAN- Biological Science (VOL #1 and #2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING)
Never bought the bio study guide. If you are also taking Bio 1AA3, you'll want both volume and the short guide to writing.

You don't need the short guide, but it's really helpful for the formal lab.
Old 08-27-2009 at 05:29 PM   #54
lankan_4lif

Thanks, you mean BIO 1M03 right?
Ye, I'm going to buy this package: FREEMAN- Biological Science (VOL #1 and #2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING)

Do you know whats in the study guide to biological science, like does it have helpful information?
Old 08-27-2009 at 05:30 PM   #55
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Thanks, you mean BIO 1M03 right?
Ye, I'm going to buy this package: FREEMAN- Biological Science (VOL #1 and #2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING)

Do you know whats in the study guide to biological science, like does it have helpful information?
Oh right, I forgot that bio is like that. Yeah, Bio 1M03 and 1A03 use Vol 1 and 2 (I forget which for which though).

I have no idea what's in the study guide. I did well without it.
Old 08-27-2009 at 05:38 PM   #56
lankan_4lif

Are all the midterms and exams multiple choice or a combination of MC and short answers? As well, are the midterms/exams tricky or difficult?
Old 08-27-2009 at 05:40 PM   #57
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Are all the midterms and exams multiple choice or a combination of MC and short answers? As well, are the midterms/exams tricky or difficult?
I thought they were easy, others would beg to differ.

Yes, M/C and short answers. Sometimes the short answers would have fill in the blanks.
Old 08-27-2009 at 05:46 PM   #58
lankan_4lif

Are the fill in the blanks tough and are they worth a lot in terms of the entire midterm, no right?
Old 08-27-2009 at 05:47 PM   #59
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Are the fill in the blanks tough and are they worth a lot in terms of the entire midterm, no right?
No, it was just a tiny section, maybe like 5 or 7 of them. They were easy.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search