Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 75%
Biology 3H03

This course is taught by Dr. Daniel, a great prof. The course is very similar to cell bio in second year in terms of the material being taught. The tests were modest in difficulty and there was no exam. Instead, there's a term-long group project focusing on one disease. It's a lot of work, but pretty fun and you get to make your own poster for a poster presentation at the end. If you liked cell bio and you don't mind group projects, this course is a nice bio course to take.

dacrown4life, manaya all say thanks to mitch for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Biology 3H03!

Old 07-22-2009 at 03:47 PM   #2
naimaa

Liked: 6 Times
I noticed you gave it a "6" in easiness.
What part did you find difficult? or challenging?
I'm trying to decide between this course and Immunology (HTH SC 3I03).
I was totally planning on taking this course, until i realized it's a night class...
Any advice?
Old 06-02-2010 at 04:23 PM   #3
jass

Liked: 0 Times
Hi Mitch,

I wanted to clarify you put the review as BIO 3H03, but did you mean MOL BIO 3H03? Because under the course calendar it says MOL BIO 3H03 the nucleus. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2010 at 07:55 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
Hi Mitch,

I wanted to clarify you put the review as BIO 3H03, but did you mean MOL BIO 3H03? Because under the course calendar it says MOL BIO 3H03 the nucleus. Thank you!
They changed it last year when they phased out 4 biology programs and replaced it with Molecular Biology and Genetics. There are a bunch that changed from Biology to Molecular Biology. If you just browse Molecular Biology it says "replaces ____" or something of that nature.

Old 06-07-2010 at 11:07 AM   #5
Ashlie

Liked: 10 Times
Do you get to choose your own topic and group for the term-long project, or is that all pre-determined for you by the professor? Also, how were the tutorials? Were they mandatory for participation marks, and were they useful?
Old 06-07-2010 at 01:40 PM   #6
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times
You get to choose your own topic out of a list of several topics (diseases), you can also go beyond the list and have another topic approved but the list is quite extensive.

Tutorials were not so much helpful in going over material. They went over tests but that was useless for 2 reasons 1) the tests are non cumulative and 2) there is no final exam.

A few of the tutorials (maybe 3-4) were mandatory because of the project. This is where you meet with your group and check in with the TA for progress. All other tutorials were non-mandatory.

The project is a lot of fun and actually very easy marks! You get to do a poster presentation on your disease and it was evaluated by the prof and TAs. This was the easy part.

You will also have to individually come up with a critique for an article, this can be a little tedious, but nonetheless - very easy marks!

Ashlie says thanks to SciMania for this post.
Old 06-09-2010 at 03:45 PM   #7
ae1011

for the term-long project, is it individual or group-project?
Old 06-10-2010 at 02:06 PM   #8
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae1011 View Post
for the term-long project, is it individual or group-project?
it's a group project, but on the side you are also working on an individual critique (related to the project).
Old 09-15-2010 at 07:00 AM   #9
e-norman

did you know how people on average did with their marks? What are you likely to get if you didn't really like your cell biology mark? Would your mark be around cell biology's mark or higher?

Are there written components on the test? How hard are the tests?
Old 09-15-2010 at 11:01 PM   #10
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-norman View Post
did you know how people on average did with their marks? What are you likely to get if you didn't really like your cell biology mark? Would your mark be around cell biology's mark or higher?

Are there written components on the test? How hard are the tests?
On average people did pretty well in the course. It's hard to say how you will do relative to cell bio, I'm not sure you can really make a comparison. The tests were quite lengthy, you have more than enough time to write them but you must be very specific otherwise they dock marks. The quizzes are a very good indication of what the tests will be like.

There are written components on the test. Often she likes to take questions from the quizzes and put them on the test.

Also the group project, though it is a lot of work, will help bring your mark up.
Old 09-25-2010 at 02:44 PM   #11
luv.ng.u

Liked: 1 Time
How much of the material on quizzes and midterms are from lecture or textbook?
Old 09-27-2010 at 06:30 PM   #12
SciMania
Elite Member

100% lecture. I never once opened the textbook for this course.
Old 06-04-2011 at 04:07 AM   #13
Navi

Is it required to go to class to do well in this course? Or could you get by on memorizing the lecture notes?
Old 06-04-2011 at 04:43 PM   #14
nita

Liked: 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
Is it required to go to class to do well in this course? Or could you get by on memorizing the lecture notes?
You should to go to class because we have pop quizzes during class and last year it was a night class and she doesn't tell you when you write the quizzes. It could be at the end of class sometimes or at the beginning.

Also, you've paid for it, so u might as well just go. I never read the textbook and just went to class. Works much better that way.
Old 08-16-2011 at 06:38 PM   #15
spenceman91

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nita View Post
Also, you've paid for it, so u might as well just go. I never read the textbook and just went to class. Works much better that way.
Lol, so true. Its funny how so many people are concerned about going to as little class as possible while at university. I'm sure I can't be the only one who absorbs material a lot better in a classroom as opposed to reading slides from A2L or a textbook overfilled with information that will be useless to you when the exam comes.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search